Fall Camp 2022

12 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Crazy to think we will probably start only 5 total Seniors this year which is great if we have a good season looking into the near future. I also think we can trim up some of our skill positions for more lineman etc. We don't need 6 scholarship QBs next year. I wouldn't sign a RB this year given we have 6 scholarships there and don't graduate anyone. 

Yea, since we have a QB committed at least one guy will have to move on, if not two.  Smothers seems to be the obvious one if he's behind Purdy.  RB I don't think they take one this year unless he's an absolute stud that you cannot pass up, but as of now they don't seem to be in on anybody of that caliber.  We probably lose 1-2 guys out of this room as well probably depending on which guys are at the top of the depth chart by year end.  WR I think Joseph will really put the pressure on some of those young guys that he didn't recruit. 3-4 guys move on there.  Competition at all DB spots will be fierce this year, very easily could see at least 3 of those guys transferring.  We will see a lot of movement after these new coaches will get a year to evaluate and work with all the guys they didn't recruit. 

22 minutes ago, Farms said:

Yea, since we have a QB committed at least one guy will have to move on, if not two.  Smothers seems to be the obvious one if he's behind Purdy.  RB I don't think they take one this year unless he's an absolute stud that you cannot pass up, but as of now they don't seem to be in on anybody of that caliber.  We probably lose 1-2 guys out of this room as well probably depending on which guys are at the top of the depth chart by year end.  WR I think Joseph will really put the pressure on some of those young guys that he didn't recruit. 3-4 guys move on there.  Competition at all DB spots will be fierce this year, very easily could see at least 3 of those guys transferring.  We will see a lot of movement after these new coaches will get a year to evaluate and work with all the guys they didn't recruit. 

Hardy, Grimes and Jones are on the chopping block for WRs. Smothers leaves if no PT this year (surprised he hasn't yet tbh). After CT is done I think the battle will be Purdy vs Haarberg. 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Crazy to think we will probably start only 5 total Seniors this year

I have no basis for this, but I am guessing it is pretty common with the free Covid year.  Not a lot of guys hang around for 6 years and are fine leaving after exhausting their "traditional eligibility".  

These guys are probable starters that would be seniors under the non-Covid rules (I think the guys I marked with a asterisk can not come back next year, and under normal rules would not be playing this year).  Both on offense  and defense we could be starting 6-8 "seniors".

Thompson 5th year

Grant 5th year

* Manning 6th year

* Martin 6th year

Palmer 4th year / no RS

Washington 4th year / no RS

Garcia-Casteneda 4th year / no RS

* Vokelek 6th year

* Hixon 6th year

* Bando 6th year

Feist 5th year

* Drew 5th year

Nelson 4th year / no RS

* Tannor 5th year

Mathis 5th year

Reimer 4th year / no RS

* Kolarvic 6th year

Clark 5th year

Newsome 4th year / no RS

Brown 4th year / no RS

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I have no basis for this, but I am guessing it is pretty common with the free Covid year.  Not a lot of guys hand around for 6 years and are fine leaving after exhausting their "traditional eligibility".  

These guys are probable starters that would be seniors under the non-Covid rules (I think the guys I marked with a asterisk can not come back next year, and under normal rules would not be playing this year).  Both on offense  and defense we could be starting 6-8 "seniors".

Thompson 5th year

Grant 5th year

* Manning 6th year

* Martin 6th year

Palmer 4th year / no RS

* Vokelek 6th year

* Hixon 6th year

* Bando 6th year

Feist 5th year

* Drew 5th year

Nelson 4th year / no RS

* Tannor 5th year

Mathis 5th year

Reimer 4th year / no RS

* Kolarvic 6th year

Clark 5th year

Newsome 4th year / no RS

Brown 4th year / no RS

Great point.  This is not a young team at all, but only having 5 listed senior starters sets up for people talking about this still being a young team regardless. 

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I have no basis for this, but I am guessing it is pretty common with the free Covid year.  Not a lot of guys hang around for 6 years and are fine leaving after exhausting their "traditional eligibility".  

Thompson 5th year

Grant 5th year

* Manning 6th year

* Martin 6th year

Palmer 4th year / no RS

* Vokelek 6th year

* Hixon 6th year

* Bando 6th year

Feist 5th year

* Drew 5th year

Nelson 4th year / no RS

* Tannor 5th year

Mathis 5th year

Reimer 4th year / no RS

* Kolarvic 6th year

Clark 5th year

Newsome 4th year / no RS

Brown 4th year / no RS

All teams had the same covid free year and still have many starting SRs. Iowa for example is slated to start 8 Seniors on defense alone this year....I agree we aren't inexperienced as it seems. 

8 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

All teams had the same covid free year and still have many starting SRs. Iowa for example is slated to start 8 Seniors on defense alone this year. 

Iowa didn't adjust everyone's eligibility down a year on their official roster like Nebraska did.  So you are seeing their "normal seniors" and "super seniors".

Take Jack Campbell.  Graduated HS in 2019, didn't redshirt, so this is his 4th season.  Iowa lists him as a senior.  If he was at Nebraska he would be listed as a junior (see Luke Reimer).

I believe it was McKewon that at some point went on a mini-rant on his podcast how Nebraska's official roster took out the Covid year where the majority of CFB teams kept their official rosters with the traditional eligibility rules and the confusion that it is causing when trying to compare teams.

He wasn't knocking Nebraska or saying one way was better, was just saying that all teams should abide by the same guidelines (basically asking the B1G tell all teams to list their rosters the same way).

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Iowa didn't adjust everyone's eligibility down a year on their official roster like Nebraska did.  So you are seeing their "normal seniors" and "super seniors".

Take Jack Campbell.  Graduated HS in 2019, didn't redshirt, so this is his 4th season.  Iowa lists him as a senior.  If he was at Nebraska he would be listed as a junior (see Luke Reimer).

That makes more sense. I forgot that some teams didn't update that (which is odd). Needs to be one way or the other imo so all teams on the same page. 

30 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This is not a young team at all

Just because I was bored and didn't feel like working....

I tried to capture (at least) the 2 deeps.  Presumed starters (maybe??) in bold.  I am sure I missed someone.  Also, hopefully there are going to freshmen and sophomores that I missed that are going to jump up and take spots.

Offense starters average time in college: 4.5 years

Defensive starters average time in college: 4.1 years

QB - Thompson 5th year,  Purdy 3rd year, Smothers 3rd year

RB - Grant 5th year, Johnson 4th year, Yant 3rd year, Ervin 2nd year

WR - Manning 6th year, Martin 6th year, Palmer 4th year, Washington 4th year, Garcia-Casteneda 4th year, Brown 3rd year

TE - Vokelek 6th year, Brewington 6th year, Hickman 4th year, Boerkircher 3rd year, Rollins 2nd year

OL - Hixson 6th year, Bando 6th year, Williams 6th year, Anthony 5th year, Benhart 4th year, Piper 4th year, Corcoran 3rd year, Prochazka 2nd year,  Lutovsky 2nd year

DT - Feist 5th year, Drew 5th year, Wynn 5th year, Robinson 4th year, Hutmacher 3rd year

EDGE - Tannor 5th year, Mathis 5th year, Nelson 4th year, Gunnerson 3rd year

LB - Mauga-Clements 6th year, Reimer 4th year, Henrich 4th year, Snodgrass 4th year

NICK - Kolarvic 6th year, Gifford 3rd year

DB - Clark 5th year, Newsome 4th year, Brown 4th year, Farmer 4th year, Pola-Gates 4th year, Hill 2nd year, Buford 2nd year, Singleton 2nd year

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Just because I was bored and didn't feel like working....

I tried to capture (at least) the 2 deeps.  Presumed starters (maybe??) in bold.  I am sure I missed someone.  Also, hopefully there are going to freshmen and sophomores that I missed that are going to jump up and take spots.

Offense starters average time in college: 4.5 years

Defensive starters average time in college: 4.1 years

QB - Thompson 5th year,  Purdy 3rd year, Smothers 3rd year

RB - Grant 5th year, Johnson 4th year, Yant 3rd year, Ervin 2nd year

WR - Manning 6th year, Martin 6th year, Palmer 4th year, Washington 4th year, Garcia-Casteneda 4th year, Brown 3rd year

TE - Vokelek 6th year, Brewington 6th year, Hickman 4th year, Boerkircher 3rd year, Rollins 2nd year

OL - Hixson 6th year, Bando 6th year, Williams 6th year, Anthony 5th year, Benhart 4th year, Piper 4th year, Corcoran 3rd year, Prochazka 2nd year,  Lutovsky 2nd year

DT - Feist 5th year, Drew 5th year, Wynn 5th year, Robinson 4th year, Hutmacher 3rd year

EDGE - Tannor 5th year, Mathis 5th year, Nelson 4th year, Gunnerson 3rd year

LB - Mauga-Clements 6th year, Reimer 4th year, Henrich 4th year, Snodgrass 4th year

NICK - Kolarvic 6th year, Gifford 3rd year

DB - Clark 5th year, Newsome 4th year, Brown 4th year, Farmer 4th year, Pola-Gates 4th year, Hill 2nd year, Buford 2nd year, Singleton 2nd year

Definitely one of the things I hated about the "free covid year," rather than let covid rob one year from 4 classes of players, they've now robbed four years of playing time from every class that follows the covid guys until the last covid- year play exhausted their eligibility. One of those deal where the best of intentions may have been the wrong thing to do. 

• Plus1 3