NBA 2023-24

14 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Disagree.

Tough loss.  Think Warriors win by 15+ in game 5.  Lakers are putting all their eggs in the game 6 basket.  If they lose reverse the 3-1 script with LBJ and the Warriors.  

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, sho said:

Tough loss.  Think Warriors win by 15+ in game 5.  Lakers are putting all their eggs in the game 6 basket.  If they lose reverse the 3-1 script with LBJ and the Warriors.  

Thank you for your kind words on this sad Tuesday. I just don't want to live in a world where Dennis Schröder is this happy. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, admo said:

Really not surprised.

Also not surprised his swag and mouthpiece stays in when he misses big shots.

But when he do make a shot.... The pacifier is on full display

Golden State Warriors GIF by NBA

How many clouds do you yell at on a daily basis :lol: 

On 5/7/2023 at 9:17 PM, Mavric said:

The NBA is so bad even the owners are flopping now.

This is the NBA League. 

Flopping...  carrying the ball... and officials (refs) calling phantom fouls to help out the superstar.   

League fined Jokic $25, 000 dollars...  Obviously the former back-to-back MVP is still not deemed a superstar in NBA & Official's eyes.  

f#&% you NBA crooks and f#&% you Officials with bulls#!t whistles. 

Stop calling phony fouls when the league's superstar misses shots (Anthony Davis, Curry, Embiid, Tatum, Durant, Harden, Morant, etc, etc).... 

The league I used to love gets worse and worse every few years, for 20 years now.  (Although I do love how the game has evolved into so many 3 point shots)

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

How many clouds do you yell at on a daily basis :lol: 

In real life, none.

On a Husker message board across the internet, as often as I want.  I don't make it personal towards members.  

I'd rather vent on an internet cloud and keep the "you" out of it.  I am blunt.  I speak my mind on this board, but I don't make my comments personal towards anyone.  And I rarely act snarky directly to someone or regarding someone's thoughts. 

Throw stones all you want, judge me all you want, make fun at my expense all you want. I don't give a f#&%.  Just be yourself and I will be me.  

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
31 minutes ago, admo said:

Really not surprised.

Also not surprised his swag and mouthpiece stays in when he misses big shots.

But when he do make a shot.... The pacifier is on full display

Golden State Warriors GIF by NBA

I get it that some folks don't like Steph Curry or consider him over-rated. But they get fewer every year. Opposing players, NBA legends, and lifelong observers of the game have no trouble giving Curry his due. For some reason Mavric thinks Russell Westbrook's stats prove he's greater than Steph. No doubt he was excited to find this nugget.

If you want, there's a highlight reel of absolute daggers that Curry landed to put a team away in the playoffs, but I guess they came before that magic :45 mark. A few playoffs ago he scored all 17 of the Warriors points in overtime to beat the Blazers. A week ago he dropped 50 in Sacramento in Game 7 --- they were all big shots. 

I'm still good having him on my team. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I get it that some folks don't like Steph Curry or consider him over-rated. But they get fewer every year. Opposing players, NBA legends, and lifelong observers of the game have no trouble giving Curry his due. For some reason Mavric thinks Russell Westbrook's stats prove he's greater than Steph. No doubt he was excited to find this nugget.

If you want, there's a highlight reel of absolute daggers that Curry landed to put a team away in the playoffs, but I guess they came before that magic :45 mark. A few playoffs ago he scored all 17 of the Warriors points in overtime to beat the Blazers. A week ago he dropped 50 in Sacramento in Game 7 --- they were all big shots. 

He single-handedly revolutionized the game, and I'm still torn if it's for the better.   Him (and to a lesser extent, pre-injuries Klay) are such incredible shooters and changed what is perceived a good shot for them, and now we have guys who see that and want to be that and are nowhere near that level.   We have guys like Trae Young who wants to be the next Steph, but will just be another Jordan Poole.   So many kids taking bad shots trying to be the next Steph...it'll stunt a lot of growth.   Guys just dribbling around the tree point line and taking step back logo threes and missing and just wasting offensive possessions.   But man, when the Splash Bros are on, still one of the greatest offensive performances you'll ever see, and if they lose this series, there will be a lot of questions in the Bay.   Poole is not worth that contract, but don't know if he can be moved.   Dray is the glue of that team, but he's clearly on the decline, do you want him back for the money he will demand?   Klay and Steph both another year older, and father time loses to no one.   Not sure, nor should I know, what Wiggings personal issues where, hope it's resolved, and I'm sure the Warriors know, but to everyone on the outside, he's a question mark as well.  The window will be really small next year and now we will see how good their front office is.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't think fans of the game dislike Steph Curry.  I think most fans of the game appreciate his outside skill shooting - as among the best ever to do it, including me.  

I think he has two mannerisms that are annoying.  Dropping his head down when he is walking... avoiding eye contact.... with his chin close to his chest.... and also... seeing Curry chew on a mouthpiece like a boy sucking on a pacifier.....  and missing his binkie.  Those things make a lot of NBA fans cringe, regardless how good he is.  It's annoying.

But also, I think his outside shooting ability is among the top 5 that I have ever seen.  He is that incredible, and for 10-12 years or so, everybody knows it and has given Curry full adulation for it.

In fact, I would say the best I've seen for long range - outside shooting ability, in its purest form, is Curry, Durant, Bird, Reggie Miller, and Ray Allen.

If the game was on the line, I would gladly take Bird, Reggie Miller or Ray Allen, and sleep well with that decision.

If I wanted to see someone flick up 27 footers for 3 1/2 quarters, Steph Curry.  

And by the way, Steve Nash was the first NBA player to coin the term "Dagger".  He used that word when hitting game killing shots with Phoenix during his back-to-back MVP seasons.  I even recalled him mentioning it during his last season with the Mavericks. 

Of course Curry has hit big time shots.  @Mavric did nothing wrong here other than inserting a tweet from someone else who pointed out that Curry hasn't been automatic as fans and media might think.

In fact, as I rooted for Golden State last game, I was so disappointed that Curry flung up a 29 footer like hero ball....  with a time out in his back pocket and good players around him, and Anthony Davis guarding him.  It was an awfully stupid shot.  But then he flipped the ball behind his head from the jump ball and I could not believe how dumb that was.  He deserves praise when he makes buckets, and Curry deserves criticism when he does something so stupid as that.  He blew it and didn't have to.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, sho said:

He single-handedly revolutionized the game, and I'm still torn if it's for the better.   Him (and to a lesser extent, pre-injuries Klay) are such incredible shooters and changed what is perceived a good shot for them, and now we have guys who see that and want to be that and are nowhere near that level.   We have guys like Trae Young who wants to be the next Steph, but will just be another Jordan Poole.   So many kids taking bad shots trying to be the next Steph...it'll stunt a lot of growth.   Guys just dribbling around the tree point line and taking step back logo threes and missing and just wasting offensive possessions.   But man, when the Splash Bros are on, still one of the greatest offensive performances you'll ever see, and if they lose this series, there will be a lot of questions in the Bay.   Poole is not worth that contract, but don't know if he can be moved.   Dray is the glue of that team, but he's clearly on the decline, do you want him back for the money he will demand?   Klay and Steph both another year older, and father time loses to no one.   Not sure, nor should I know, what Wiggings personal issues where, hope it's resolved, and I'm sure the Warriors know, but to everyone on the outside, he's a question mark as well.  The window will be really small next year and now we will see how good their front office is.

Every Warrior fan could see this was a transitional year, and even with the Core Three healthy, they were playing .500 ball and absolutely tanking every time they hit the road. But something about finishing the season 7-2 to squeeze into the sixth seed, then taking out a better team in Sacramento, including two high pressure road wins, made you believe the Championship DNA mantra that these guys could somehow flip the switch when absolutely necessary. But i really think last year was the signature win for the dynasty, a fourth championship and second without Durant over a very good Celtics team that looked designed to take them down. 

I didn't want the Lakers to make it in the playoffs this year because I thought they'd be an especially tough match-up for the Warriors. Losing to the Lakers shouldn't be surprising for this year's team, but you wanted to believe the magic was still there. Next season could easily be a s#!t show. Young players are restless and two large contracts will likely get traded. General Manager Bob Meyers might move on, too. 

It was an absolute blast while it lasted, most fun I've had as a sports fan outside Nebraska's glory years. 

If you only think about Curry launching distant treys, you're not giving him his due. He has an incredibly long highlight reel of ball handling, drives and finishes, scoop shots and one-handers, and assists made possible by getting multiple opponents to over-guard him. Every opposing player and coach talks about how difficult and exhausting it is to guard Steph Curry, who continues to out-run much younger players when he doesn't have the ball. He's virtually unprecedented when it comes to spacing the floor, opening the game for other players. Klay, Wiggins, and Poole often have their own 20+ point games. Steph has all this leverage because they fear his 3 point shot, but it's not just about the 3s. That's why he's a lot more revolutionary than Ray Allen or Kyle Korver. Fact is, at age 35 Curry is actually playing the best ball of his life. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

Loving this discussion, a lot more level headed than ones that I usually see, so well done @Guy Chamberlin @sho @admo! I personally feel that Steph is one of the best pure shooters in NBA history. I also love how much he moves without the ball; it's just crazy, and I've always wondered how many miles he runs during a given game. What I don't care for (and this is probably because I'm an old dude) is the flopping to draw fouls, his whole go to sleep schtick, and the binkie. There's no denying how great he is; I think that's what bugs me about it, is that all of the other antics just aren't necessary. I guess that's today's NBA though. Now get off my lawn you damn clouds! 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Yeah, the flopping to sell fouls is an NBA-wide thing, and Steph is far from the biggest actor. Warriors just lost a last minute possession on a Laker thespian job that even the announcers mocked.

I read this morning that a couple international leagues gave refs the power to call a technical on blatant flop attempts, and that has really curbed the practice. I think flops deserve a T far more than most frustration gestures and taunts. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you only think about Curry launching distant treys, you're not giving him his due. He has an incredibly long highlight reel of ball handling, drives and finishes, scoop shots and one-handers, and assists made possible by getting multiple opponents to over-guard him. Every opposing player and coach talks about how difficult and exhausting it is to guard Steph Curry, who continues to out-run much younger players when he doesn't have the ball. He's virtually unprecedented when it comes to spacing the floor, opening the game for other players. Klay, Wiggins, and Poole often have their own 20+ point games. Steph has all this leverage because they fear his 3 point shot, but it's not just about the 3s. That's why he's a lot more revolutionary than Ray Allen or Kyle Korver. Fact is, at age 35 Curry is actually playing the best ball of his life. 

Not even a little bit, but his uncanny ability to stretch the floor to darn near midcourt and his ability to hit incredibly difficult shots to darn near half court is what's changing the game.   He's an all-around great PG, and one of the best off the ball players this league has ever seen.   But those two skills aren't what created players taking ill-advised 3s, settling to dribble at the three point line and take a step back three, players to feel open at the logo.  Those are all because of Steph, and I'm not sure it's good for the game that other people are doing that.  I'm good, and have thoroughly enjoyed watching Steph do that, I think it's an awful possession when Trae Young does it, or when LBJ does it etc.   I see guys who shoot at or less than 30% jacking up 3s early in the possession and think that's a wasted possession and it happens every game with every team.

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, the flopping to sell fouls is an NBA-wide thing, and Steph is far from the biggest actor. Warriors just lost a last minute possession on a Laker thespian job that even the announcers mocked.

I read this morning that a couple international leagues gave refs the power to call a technical on blatant flop attempts, and that has really curbed the practice. I think flops deserve a T far more than most frustration gestures and taunts. 

I was just having a discussion about the flops, and how much it's impacting the the game.   I suggested something like the L2M Report, but for the entire game.   Have retired refs (a panel of 3-4 watching independently of each other) watch every game and retroactively assess a flop penalty if majority of those viewing see a flop.  Arbitrary numbers on viewers and the % needed to classify it as a flop, but something where it's multiple eyes seeing the same thing.   Treat it much like a flagrant where if once a player has earned so many 'flop penalties" they are suspended for one game.   Hypothetically, after 20 flops, you are suspended one game.   after 30 another game, 35 another game and then every 2 gets a one game suspension.   Resets with adjusted numbers for playoffs.   Players can earn multiple flop penalties in one game.   If the NBA truly cared about the flopping issues, this would be something to easily implement and in theory should reduce the amount of flops.   Which then when a ref sees a reaction on the court, (s)he shouldn't have to wonder was it a foul, was it a flop, how much contact was there...etc.   It would improve the quality of the game IMO.

• Plus1 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to NBA 2023-24