NBA 2023-24

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Chris Paul, too? 

Paul has always been a player I never liked much, but respected plenty. Westbrook and Harden I've never liked or respected - neither have ever shown an ounce of 'we > me' type leadership that separates the greats from the goods.

Tonight's the night we get to see who gets to draft the unicorn, Victor Wembanyama.   From the little I've watched of his game, once he gets used to the NBA game, he's going to be a problem for everyone.   The one highlight of his that still makes me go WOW is when he took a step back three, missed, but was the one to do a tip dunk on his miss.   Never seen a player able to do that before.   His game reminds me of KD, except he's 5 inches taller.  He may be the tallest guy in the league and have the skills of a wing.   He's a freak of nature.

• Oh Yeah! 1
18 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It also feels that just days after winning MVP the sun is already setting on Joel Embid. Throwing teammates under the bus when Joel and Harden were totally outplayed is a really bad look and the league noticed. Not entirely new for Embid but he definitely left a stain on this one

Agreed 100%. It's also been interesting seeing some on the national media suddenly take interest in Jokic, now that Embiid has been exposed for the soft fraud that he is.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

Agreed 100%. It's also been interesting seeing some on the national media suddenly take interest in Jokic, now that Embiid has been exposed for the soft fraud that he is.

I also think there is some voter fatigue.   Joker should have been the MVP, but people are tired of voting for him.   Much like MJ not winning every year during the 90s when he played.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, sho said:

I also think there is some voter fatigue.   Joker should have been the MVP, but people are tired of voting for him.   Much like MJ not winning every year during the 90s when he played.

I think that is absolutely fair. Let's be honest, he's not exactly the "sexy" choice based on how he plays. Plus, he really dropped off the last few weeks of the season for the dreaded load management. Had he averaged the triple double, it would have been tough to not give it to him. 

• Plus1 1
On 5/15/2023 at 8:50 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Harden and Westbrook are bound for the Hall of Fame, but one thing people will never call them is "winners"

Sad but you are right.  They both dribble the ball a lot and put up stats during their career.....  But I think that's about it.  

Basketball hall-of-fame lets everybody in lately.  Ben Wallace, Toni Kukoc, Manu Ginobli, Hardaway...  Bosh, Tony Parker, McGrady.   Good players, real good some years, and some all-star years for sure, but not hall of fame.  

Note:  As Colin Cowherd said the other day (paraphrasing)...  "Remember when you all ripped me apart years ago and told me that Westrbook's triple doubles equate to an MVP?  Ok well, what about Jokic?"  ..... The smile on Cowherd's face was priceless.

3 hours ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

I think that is absolutely fair. Let's be honest, he's not exactly the "sexy" choice based on how he plays. Plus, he really dropped off the last few weeks of the season for the dreaded load management. Had he averaged the triple double, it would have been tough to not give it to him. 

I think it was Keyshawn Johnson that said 'Jokic just doesn't look good when he plays' or something like that.  Apparently watching Embiid falling down all over and shooting 16 free throws a game is more aesthetically pleasing.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

Lakers are not at home.  Will be interesting to see how the league and officials help Anthony Davis get to the free throw line and change up the pace...... 

The whistle will blow when AD has the ball in his hands and is near the paint.  Happens a lot so pay attention.

A little contact does not mean automatic foul call.  That just means preferred superstar treatment and the game needs to be close.

• Plus1 1

I'm ashamed to say it, but the officiating was actually pretty good last night. Not nearly the discrepancy in free throws that I expected (I think it ended up 26 to 22). Nuggets were clicking for three quarters and then let the Lakers back in. It will be interesting to see the adjustments made for game 2. The Nuggets cannot keep allowing Jamal to switch over to Lebron, he'll get eaten up and will be in foul trouble again. Joker did Joker things again last night, it was a lot of fun to watch. Even my wife, who isn't a huge basketball fan, was amazed with some of the things he did. That three that he hit over AD was crazy, loved the looks the two of them exchanged. I think this is going to be a very entertaining series. 

• Plus1 2

An exciting game where the stars all put up star numbers. ESPN couldn't be happier.

I do wonder if the Nuggets, who clearly looked like the better team, got a little spooked by the Lakers comeback. And whether the Lakers got a little more confidence for the next game. 

It's all about adjustments, but it's hard to think what either team should change. 

• Plus1 3

Good game, Lakers came out flat and Nuggets hot, and Joker looked like Kevin Looney in the first quarter getting every rebound.   Lakers were not smart starting so small, this isn't the Warriors.   I liked the adjustment of putting Rui on Joker and letting AD come double once Joker got in the paint.  Doing that slowed down Denver's offense (or them letting their foot of the gas, not sure which), and I hope the Lakers start game 2 like that and force Denver to adjust.    After the game, I feel more confident the Lakers can win this series then I did before game one.   

I hope Jimmy and Miami can play well, and win tonight.

• Plus1 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to NBA 2023-24