NBA 2023-24

5 hours ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

I'm ashamed to say it, but the officiating was actually pretty good last night. Not nearly the discrepancy in free throws that I expected (I think it ended up 26 to 22). Nuggets were clicking for three quarters and then let the Lakers back in. It will be interesting to see the adjustments made for game 2. The Nuggets cannot keep allowing Jamal to switch over to Lebron, he'll get eaten up and will be in foul trouble again. Joker did Joker things again last night, it was a lot of fun to watch. Even my wife, who isn't a huge basketball fan, was amazed with some of the things he did. That three that he hit over AD was crazy, loved the looks the two of them exchanged. I think this is going to be a very entertaining series. 

Totally agree about the officiating and it was refreshing.  They let them play and both teams almost scored 130 each ........ In a conf finals playoff game:hellloooo

Loved it......   AD was really great...... Yokic was unbelievable.....  1-0 Nuggets..... First to "4 wins" goes to the championship chuckleshuffle  and both teams look deserving so far 

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, sho said:

Good game, Lakers came out flat and Nuggets hot, and Joker looked like Kevin Looney in the first quarter getting every rebound.   Lakers were not smart starting so small, this isn't the Warriors.   I liked the adjustment of putting Rui on Joker and letting AD come double once Joker got in the paint.  Doing that slowed down Denver's offense (or them letting their foot of the gas, not sure which), and I hope the Lakers start game 2 like that and force Denver to adjust.    After the game, I feel more confident the Lakers can win this series then I did before game one.   

I hope Jimmy and Miami can play well, and win tonight.

This will be a series of tweaks. No one adjustment is going to be either teams silver bullet. Also look for Denver to go under pin down screens for LBJ to avoid a Murray switch. Most of James’ points came off that. 

Look for Gordon to stay high if AD starts spying Jokic on post ups. He’ll be the weak side screener for the rest of Denver’s shooters. Question will be can they knock down open shots like they did in game 1. 

Look for LA to go big to start and absolutely crash the paint. You will not see an early rebound advantage for Denver like game 1, methinks. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

This will be a series of tweaks. No one adjustment is going to be either teams silver bullet. Also look for Denver to go under pin down screens for LBJ to avoid a Murray switch. Most of James’ points came off that. 

Look for Gordon to stay high if AD starts spying Jokic on post ups. He’ll be the weak side screener for the rest of Denver’s shooters. Question will be can they knock down open shots like they did in game 1. 

Look for LA to go big to start and absolutely crash the paint. You will not see an early rebound advantage for Denver like game 1, methinks. 

Yeah, the starting small and giving up so many rebounds really got Denver's shooters a lot of extra good looks and got them rolling early.   Play big, defend the paint, and limit Denver's offensive rebounds and I think the Lakers steal game 2.   Wouldn't hurt for DLo to have a bounce back game.

• Plus1 1

Hey, why aren't we talking about the Heat/Celtics game?

I caught about half of it. Looked like the Celtics might cruise, then Miami just kicked into a cold-blooded second gear and never looked back. Jimmy Butler was always great, but he's playing out of his mind these playoffs and should now be considered one of The Greats. 

I would have said the same thing about Jason Tatum 15 hours ago, but for reasons no one explained, he took only 4 shots the entire second half, and strung together three excruciatingly bad turnovers in the final 2 minutes with the game still there for the taking. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Hey, why aren't we talking about the Heat/Celtics game?

I caught about half of it. Looked like the Celtics might cruise, then Miami just kicked into a cold-blooded second gear and never looked back. Jimmy Butler was always great, but he's playing out of his mind these playoffs and should now be considered one of The Greats. 

I would have said the same thing about Jason Tatum 15 hours ago, but for reasons no one explained, he took only 4 shots the entire second half, and strung together three excruciatingly bad turnovers in the final 2 minutes with the game still there for the taking. 

I don't want to talk about it and jinx this   :lol:

• Plus1 1

Fast forward.........   after 4 games the Nuggets and Lakers will be tied 2-2.  

That's just how the NBA does big business.  With best of 3 following and lots of storylines and possibilities to talk about, while keeping the eyes on the TV/games.

We've all seen it before, been there and done that (script).

Rooting for Nuggets tonight regardless.

Let's see how this super fun matchup unfolds......  Might even see NBA officials getting more involved in the drama/outcome of this one.  Because one team will need calls........to help them early on...... to keep it close and shake up the games rhythm........  And that would be sad to see

:snacks:

• Oh Yeah! 1
21 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Watching my first playoff game of the year (Lakers-Nuggets gm2) and these ESPN announcers are unbearable whiners. Is it always this way? Seriously might not be able to finish this game.

They’re bad tonight. Mark Jackson and Van gundy got the memo. Lakers need to win for espn to exist tomorrow. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, Jason Sitoke said:

They’re bad tonight. Mark Jackson and Van gundy got the memo. Lakers need to win for espn to exist tomorrow. 

They are so blatantly for LAL. It’s way over the top. ESPN is just trash anymore. Their hockey coverage has been terrible, this might be worse.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Man, let one get away tonight.   Lakers made their living attacking the rim, drawing fouls playing inside out.   Too many kill the rhythm 3s by James and AD couldn’t hit the ocean from the boat most of the game.   Good win by Denver tonight.  They were able to finish strong.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Watching my first playoff game of the year (Lakers-Nuggets gm2) and these ESPN announcers are unbearable whiners. Is it always this way? Seriously might not be able to finish this game.

Van Gundy and Jackson are the worst at the whining as announcers.   Usually watch the games on mute until the last 2-3 minutes of the game.  Listen to music or a podcast.   Keep CC on to follow along for any injury/foul situations.  No need to yell “BANG” on 3 in the middle of the second like he just hit a game winner.  Annoying and then the constant complaining about officials that JVG does is just pull your hair out frustrating.  

• Plus1 2

Mike/Van Gundy/Mark Jackson are one of the best commentary teams around, and it's not an accident they've been calling the Finals for going on 15 years now. When they complain, it's mostly complaining about the stuff that should rightfully (and hardly ever does) get complained about, ie bad officiating and bad player behavior like flopping. 

I get the most annoyed with Jackson out of the three but I think as a trio they offer great play-by-play and color and humor. 

Tough break for the Lakers tonight, couldn't match Denver getting hot at the perfect time. Once Lebron started fronting Jokic I thought they were gonna walk away with it. 

9 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Mike/Van Gundy/Mark Jackson are one of the best commentary teams around, and it's not an accident they've been calling the Finals for going on 15 years now. When they complain, it's mostly complaining about the stuff that should rightfully (and hardly ever does) get complained about, ie bad officiating and bad player behavior like flopping. 

I get the most annoyed with Jackson out of the three but I think as a trio they offer great play-by-play and color and humor. 

Tough break for the Lakers tonight, couldn't match Denver getting hot at the perfect time. Once Lebron started fronting Jokic I thought they were gonna walk away with it. 

What color is the sky in your world? 

JVG isn’t even the best commentator in his family. Jackson is objectively awful. I like Breen. 

Only thing worse than the in game analysts is ESPNs halftime show. 

TNT squad should be contractually obligated to do every halftime show. 

• Fire 2

I like Breen too. I know that I'm a homer, but the obvious Laker love from Jackson (by the way, dude got FAT) and Van Gundy is so annoying. I wish announcers could just call the game and not make themselves part of the narrative, although I did laugh at the "What happened to the game I love" comment after the flagrant call on DLo. I was watching with my son, and we were talking about Murray's struggles about midway through the third. I told him to just wait, Jamal is going to go off in the fourth. Holy hell! Dude had 23 in the fourth, Lakers had 24. That string of threes the Nuggets hit in the quarter was crazy. 

Another crazy stat: Jokic has 3 points in both four quarters combined in the series so far. The Nuggets are so deep and balanced, they're able to share the scoring and not have to rely on him to close out the games. That gives me hope that they can win this series, maybe even steal a game in LA. I don't have high hopes on that, but it's possible. 

Also, old man rant here, but the officials have got to do something about the flopping. I know that everyone does it, but that one by Lebron where he slid into the front row was the worst one I think I've ever seen. Jokic got payback on the next play by doing the same thing to get a call; I just really wish they would do something about it.

Lastly, Rui is a beast. Dude is going to get paid... 

• Plus1 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to NBA 2023-24