NBA 2023-24

Stuff I researched because I am super silly :dumdum   but also because I don't like  3 days between the beginning of the NBA Championship Series and game 2.  And this year game #3 will be Wednesday.  Meaning - 6 days and 2 games played.

I did some digging.  The NBA has done this format regularly since 2005.  With the exception of 2021 (first game was July 6th! - they must have had to sped it up) and 2012 (first game June 12th).  Most NBA championship Series start the first few days of June or end of May.  But 3 days between game 1 and game 2 ??????!?!!?!!  Seriously??!!!  

I have my ideas when I put my tinfoil hat on ( chuckleshuffle ) but the point is .....  I forgot game 2 was tonight.  I would have been a bit more excited if the second game wasn't on a Sunday evening, and instead played on a Saturday night (also NBA format for most of the championship series).

Ok more tinfoil hat stuff

:zoom

The NBA lockout was 2011 (ended Dec 2011).  The NBA (along with NBA owner's approval) started to add as many games possible to recoup some  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The league had some occaissional back-to-back games up to that point.  However, in the 70's and 80's, back to back games happened often, including back-to-back-to-back nights.  

But to this point, it is kinda possible that the players got softer.  But really, they actually got paid a lot more as an investment..... with the Playoffs being the big picture.  

Spurs coach Popovich started sitting his best players.  There was flack and shots fired at him.  But nothing happened as he sat his best guys out, preserving them for the playoffs.  And so, the rest of the league slowly joined in.

What does that mean?  Well, it is an 82 game schedule.  Let's have a look.

Top 25-30 NBA players - most "PPG" in order

82 game season schedule

Embiid - 66 games played

Doncic - 66 games played

Lillard - 58 games played

G-Alexander - 68 games played

Antetokounmpo -  63 games played

Tatum - 74 games played

Curry - 56 games played

Kevin Durrant - 47 games played

Lebron James - 55 games played

Mitchell - 68

Booker - 53

Kyrie Irving - 60

Brown (Bos) - 67

Trae Young - 73

Ja Morant - 61

Zion Williamson - 29

Anthony Davis (LAL) - 56

Markkanen - 66

Randle (NYK) - 77 !!!

Fox (SAC) - 73

Levine (Chi) - 77 !!!

Ingram (NO) - 45

Edwards (MInn) - 79 !!!

Derozan - 74

Jokic - 69

Siakim (TOR) - 71

Brunson (NYK) - 68

Kawhi Leonard - 52

Paul George - 56

LaMelo Ball - 36

Beal (WSH) - 50

Porzingas (65)

Jimmy Butler (64)

.... you get the point.... :)   

On 6/3/2023 at 12:18 PM, sho said:

Huh, I thought the reason KD wanted out was because of Dray.   Seems like I’ve read innuendos that those two don’t get along.  Dray is hated by most fan bases, but based on what I’ve seen of him, home fans will change their tune quickly with him.  He plays hard, intelligent, does the dirty work and will aggravate the opposing teams.  Home crowds will love him.   The only concern with him, is how far past his prime is he and how quickly will his defensive skills fall off the cliff?   

A lot of folks thought KD left because of a locker room blow up with Draymond. But last year Durant appeared on Draymond's podcast and not only were they all chummy, they both blamed KDs leaving on Warriors management. Who knows. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

A lot of folks thought KD left because of a locker room blow up with Draymond. But last year Durant appeared on Draymond's podcast and not only were they all chummy, they both blamed KDs leaving on Warriors management. Who knows. 

Interesting.  I haven't listened to Dray's podcast.  His and the 'All the Smoke' podcast with Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson are podcasts I keep thinking I want to check out, just not sure which ones to cut from my current rotation to add more.

• Plus1 1

Oof, rough game last night. Very disappointing games from MPJ and KCP. KCP scored 6 points and gifted the Heat 6 on stupid fouls on threes. Very frustrating game to watch, but here's my glass is half full takeaway. The Heat came out and played an excellent game, balanced with contributions from a lot of players. The Nuggets played one of the worst games that I've seen them have in quite a while, outside of Jokic putting up points. Their bench actually played really well, but the starters were garbage. They gave up a 10 point lead in the fourth, that just can't happen.

Still, despite all that, they were very close to forcing OT. They need to go to Miami and at least take one there, and I'll feel good again. I'm still feeling Nuggets in five, but who knows?

:koolaid2:

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

Oof, rough game last night. Very disappointing games from MPJ and KCP. KCP scored 6 points and gifted the Heat 6 on stupid fouls on threes. Very frustrating game to watch, but here's my glass is half full takeaway. The Heat came out and played an excellent game, balanced with contributions from a lot of players. The Nuggets played one of the worst games that I've seen them have in quite a while, outside of Jokic putting up points. Their bench actually played really well, but the starters were garbage. They gave up a 10 point lead in the fourth, that just can't happen.

Still, despite all that, they were very close to forcing OT. They need to go to Miami and at least take one there, and I'll feel good again. I'm still feeling Nuggets in five, but who knows?

:koolaid2:

Miami did the strategy that I wanted the Lakers to employ.   Let Jokic go off, but contain everyone else.   Don't double him, just don't let him get his assists and get everyone else going.   That seems to be the best way to slow this team down, that I've seen so far.   I think ESPN brought it up, but Dray said they way to beat them is to keep Jokic under 6 assists.  If you do that, odds are you will win.   7+ assists, it switches to Denver being favored.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
53 minutes ago, sho said:

Miami did the strategy that I wanted the Lakers to employ.   Let Jokic go off, but contain everyone else.   Don't double him, just don't let him get his assists and get everyone else going.   That seems to be the best way to slow this team down, that I've seen so far.   I think ESPN brought it up, but Dray said they way to beat them is to keep Jokic under 6 assists.  If you do that, odds are you will win.   7+ assists, it switches to Denver being favored.

Also know as what Pat Riley used to do to Jordan.  He'd put his worst defender on Jordan and try to stop everyone else.  Didn't really work for Riley but it's an interesting concept.

• Plus1 1

I mean the biggest problem for Denver last night was their defense. MPJ looked hopeless out there last night, KCP had some boneheaded fouls, Murray getting cooked. If they just locked in on defense in the 4th they win that game but they didn't. It wasn't the fact that Jokic had only 4 assists that they lost that game.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

That's an amazing stat. If you watch the NBA regularly, you know that 10, 15, even 20 point leads aren't ever safe, and I've seen plenty of regular season games where a team makes a 10-0 run in less than two minutes. I think both Denver and Miami had quick 10-0 runs last night earlier in the game. But something about fourth quarter of the playoffs must have a different chemistry. 

17 hours ago, admo said:

Ok more tinfoil hat stuff

:zoom

The NBA lockout was 2011 (ended Dec 2011).  The NBA (along with NBA owner's approval) started to add as many games possible to recoup some  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The league had some occaissional back-to-back games up to that point.  However, in the 70's and 80's, back to back games happened often, including back-to-back-to-back nights.  

But to this point, it is kinda possible that the players got softer.  But really, they actually got paid a lot more as an investment..... with the Playoffs being the big picture.  

Spurs coach Popovich started sitting his best players.  There was flack and shots fired at him.  But nothing happened as he sat his best guys out, preserving them for the playoffs.  And so, the rest of the league slowly joined in.

What does that mean?  Well, it is an 82 game schedule.  Let's have a look.

Top 25-30 NBA players - most "PPG" in order

82 game season schedule

Embiid - 66 games played

Doncic - 66 games played

Lillard - 58 games played

G-Alexander - 68 games played

Antetokounmpo -  63 games played

Tatum - 74 games played

Curry - 56 games played

Kevin Durrant - 47 games played

Lebron James - 55 games played

Mitchell - 68

Booker - 53

Kyrie Irving - 60

Brown (Bos) - 67

Trae Young - 73

Ja Morant - 61

Zion Williamson - 29

Anthony Davis (LAL) - 56

Markkanen - 66

Randle (NYK) - 77 !!!

Fox (SAC) - 73

Levine (Chi) - 77 !!!

Ingram (NO) - 45

Edwards (MInn) - 79 !!!

Derozan - 74

Jokic - 69

Siakim (TOR) - 71

Brunson (NYK) - 68

Kawhi Leonard - 52

Paul George - 56

LaMelo Ball - 36

Beal (WSH) - 50

Porzingas (65)

Jimmy Butler (64)

.... you get the point.... :)   

82 games is too many. I don't think it's a "too soft" issue, either, it's ground down great players for years. Popovich figured out his own workaround, and didn't really care what the League had to say. It's still about money, because it always is.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1274038-why-nbas-82-game-schedule-is-overkill-for-fans-and-players#:~:text=82 Games Schedule Is About Revenue%2C Not Players or Fans&text=The fact of the matter,amount of in-season injuries. 

27 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

I mean the biggest problem for Denver last night was their defense. MPJ looked hopeless out there last night, KCP had some boneheaded fouls, Murray getting cooked. If they just locked in on defense in the 4th they win that game but they didn't. It wasn't the fact that Jokic had only 4 assists that they lost that game.

Murray isn't a great defender, KCP was boneheaded.  For KCP, once a Lakers player, always a Lakers player, it felt like we led the league in fouling 3 point shooters.   MPJ has had his defensive effort questioned since he joined the league.   For the most part he's really improved on that in the last few years.  He will still have stretches where he's not good, but overall he's one of their better defenders.   And for as great as Jokic is, he's average as a defender.  Luckily, there aren't many skilled bigs he has to worry about.   Denver beats you by coming at you in waves and being really efficient on offense and being decent to average on defense, they really don't have anyone that will lock down a player.   When their opponent is clicking on offense, it's about out-scoring them versus shutting them down. 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

I know it's unscientific, but it looked like the Heat were making the open look shots in Game Two that they were missing in Game One, regardless of actual defense.  

Even then, it still felt like the Nuggets were going to win and the Heat would be left with a plucky loss. Jokic was an absolute machine, but it seemed to support the Two Superstar theory: they needed Murray to go off in the fourth quarter like he often does, but didn't. I didn't watch closely enough to see if the Heat were blanketing Murray, if he wasn't getting the touches, or if he just wasn't doing enough with them. 

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I know it's unscientific, but it looked like the Heat were making the open look shots in Game Two that they were missing in Game One, regardless of actual defense.  

Even then, it still felt like the Nuggets were going to win and the Heat would be left with a plucky loss. Jokic was an absolute machine, but it seemed to support the Two Superstar theory: they needed Murray to go off in the fourth quarter like he often does, but didn't. I didn't watch closely enough to see if the Heat were blanketing Murray, if he wasn't getting the touches, or if he just wasn't doing enough with them. 

Nuggets were over helping on Butler leading to wide open 3s all game long. They just got to play Butler straight up with Gordon guarding him. Miami was good on defense as they always are. Did a good job on Murray. Just needed one more guy to get going with Jokic it just didn't happen. MPJ needs to start knocking down his 3s or start cutting to the basket to get easier looks to get himself going.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

Nuggets were over helping on Butler leading to wide open 3s all game long. They just got to play Butler straight up with Gordon guarding him. Miami was good on defense as they always are. Did a good job on Murray. Just needed one more guy to get going with Jokic it just didn't happen. MPJ needs to start knocking down his 3s or start cutting to the basket to get easier looks to get himself going.

I think Gordon is a tough match-up for every team. He can have a great stretch that proves just how hard is is to guard, and then he disappears for long stretches. Again, it's never clear if this is a defensive adjustment, a lack of aggression on Gordon's part, or an offensive strategy to involve other players. To your point, MPJ or KCP knocking down just a couple three pointers changes the game. 

• suh_fan93 changed the title to NBA 2023-24