Your Predictions For The West

Nebraska has the biggest variance for floor and ceiling in the West. We could go 5-5 or 10-2. I know this isn't new info but we have A LOT of new pieces on this team. Whole new offensive coaching staff and play caller. Along with that we will have 10 new kids that will play a big part on this team. We know from the past that not all transfers will be good. Kool-aid is flowing 

• Plus1 2

21 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

He has already won it once and I believe he can win it again. the man has endured suffering beyond comprehension with how things have gone here at NU and i believe he will get it turned around. 

As a fan, I am perfectly able to comprehend the suffering. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The Northwestern game will set the tone for the season. Getting a solid win vs. the WIldcats would be a huge confidence builder and a strong push in the right direction. A disappointing loss could very well be the final nail in Frost's coffin.

Fitzgerald is a solid coach who regularly punches above his weight.  17 years at NW IIRC.  He and his team haven't forgotten the drubbing they got at the hands of the best 3-9 team in history. If we loose to NW in week 0, I am unsure how you right the ship moving forward.  I have been so burned by NU in the past that I go with the safe bet and say we finish 6th in the West,  That way, anything is better.  New O staff, new QB, new center, new scheme, revamped DL, a lot of new faces is hard for a great team to overcome.  Let alone NU with our struggles....

On the plus side, we have a better play caller, D has improved each year, better ST, "talent" looks better....Hoping to be surprised and pleasantly surprised.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The Northwestern game will set the tone for the season. Getting a solid win vs. the WIldcats would be a huge confidence builder and a strong push in the right direction. A disappointing loss could very well be the final nail in Frost's coffin.

I tend to agree as I think the Irish Bowl is SF’s biggest game of his life in some ways.  But win or lose, it’s just one of a half dozen to really decide if he will remain for the long term.  I’m sure he’s having some sleepless nights and those will continue well into the fall.  This job has to be a lot harder than he ever imagined.  I still believe he is capable of doing it but I kinda wish he’d been on the NU staff a few years before becoming HC.  But things are what they are and can’t change it.  

He has a very good staff.  Raiola is the only one I’m unsure about but he’s had enough time and experience to do it.  In fairness to him, he inherited very little to work with, apparently, so he needs to work some serious magic.  Whipple knows and the rest of the assistants can help scheme a way to give us a chance.  Got to find ways to get first downs and a couple hundred yards a game from the RB spot.  A top ten passing game is possible imo so that may be enough to give us some run game room at times.  Defenses will make us run the ball though.  If not we’re in for a long year.  

i expect some NEW plays, formations, etc to give defenses a hard time predicting how and where and when we run/throw.  This gives me hope but can they actually execute well in such a short time in a new system.  ?    

44 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think it's been well established that the floor is 3 wins, and honestly maybe even 2.

If we don't start at least 4-2 then we are through. I think having a really hard 3 games to end the year is slightly more ideal this season as we need to get the kids to gel on offense. 

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

If we don't start at least 4-2 then we are through. I think having a really hard 3 games to end the year is slightly more ideal this season as we need to get the kids to gel on offense. 

It's way more ideal to have those three games at the end of the year. Winning the Oklahoma game doesn't really matter at all; they're a way better team than we are and we're expected to lose.

I'll be pretty much shocked if we start the season at 4-2.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, lo country said:

Fitzgerald is a solid coach who regularly punches above his weight.  17 years at NW IIRC.  He and his team haven't forgotten the drubbing they got at the hands of the best 3-9 team in history. If we loose to NW in week 0, I am unsure how you right the ship moving forward.  I have been so burned by NU in the past that I go with the safe bet and say we finish 6th in the West,  That way, anything is better.  New O staff, new QB, new center, new scheme, revamped DL, a lot of new faces is hard for a great team to overcome.  Let alone NU with our struggles....

On the plus side, we have a better play caller, D has improved each year, better ST, "talent" looks better....Hoping to be surprised and pleasantly surprised.

Can't argue with any of that.  In our heart of hearts we want to drink the:koolaid2: but we have too often set ourselves up for :cry.  With all of the changes in staff and players I got to think they are all a major upgrade and are professional and business like in their approach and will get the job done regardless of how long they have been here. As others have said - the OL is the key.  If they are 25% better than last year, I think we will be much better overall based on our better skilled players. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

It's way more ideal to have those three games at the end of the year. Winning the Oklahoma game doesn't really matter at all; they're a way better team than we are and we're expected to lose.

I disagree on Oklahoma. I think we can win that game and the rumblings of us being back will start. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Shocked in a good way - only 2 losses or shocked in a bad way that we got 2 losses??:dunno    I see only one potential loss. Of course that is counting our chickens too fast and this is still a SF coached team- so one has to hedge their bets - nothing is a given anymore. 

NW

N Dak

Georgia South

Okla

Indiana

Rutgers

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Definitely all subjective whether you see the glass as half full or half empty on some of those games.

I find it hard to not view that Michigan State game as half empty, given what happened with that punt play. What a gut punch that one was.

It was one hell of a gut punch and I was pissed after that game.

But, you're going to take one player making one play that was catastrophic against a top 20 team at the time and then say the glass is half empty?

I get being pissed about the ending of the game.  I was....and still am.  But....half empty? 

• Plus1 2