Your Predictions For The West

I'm surprised that most everyone has Purdue beating NU. They barely one last year with AM throwing four picks. If the huskers can just reduce some of the stupid mistakes, ST play better, and the rest play as good as last year, then it's a winning season. I know I drink the :koolaid2:every summer. No matter how many times I am disappointed, I still go into the season optimistically.  

• Oh Yeah! 1

2 minutes ago, jager said:

I'm surprised that most everyone has Purdue beating NU. They barely one last year with AM throwing four picks. If the huskers can just reduce some of the stupid mistakes, ST play better, and the rest play as good as last year, then it's a winning season. I know I drink the :koolaid2:every summer. No matter how many times I am disappointed, I still go into the season optimistically.  

Coming off a 9-4 season, Aidan O’Connell being the #1 or #2 QB in the B1G and SF teams are 1-3 against them it's hard to pick NU.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Coming off a 9-4 season, Aidan O’Connell being the #1 or #2 QB in the B1G and SF teams are 1-3 against them it's hard to pick NU.

I understand, which is why I said "if they reduce stupid mistakes...". NU has been the better team, but just can't get out of their own way. Again, I am an eternal optimist.

By the way, I am predicting an 8-4 record minimum.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The Northwestern game will set the tone for the season. Getting a solid win vs. the WIldcats would be a huge confidence builder and a strong push in the right direction. A disappointing loss could very well be the final nail in Frost's coffin.

Got to beat NW. That will put butts in the seats for the  ND & Georgia Southern games. Assuming we can get by both of them that would be 3 wins a row which would be a new milestone for the SF era giving us some much needed momentum and a great atmosphere going into the OU game. And one can always hope for an upset.

Lose to NW and the season could once again be ugly more than likely starting off 2-2. The stadium will be like morgue for the ND & Georgia So. games.

6 hours ago, Undone said:

It's insane that they've beaten us two years in a row.

This is why I really want the posters saying we'll win 9 games this year to pass me that hopium pipe so I can hit that $h!t hard.

The schedule is two games easier than last year's. I can totally see 7 wins this year - but it'll take a lot of improvement with not getting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, false starts, turnovers, and special teams.

Sure, I love hitting the hopium pipe, bout to do it right now actually, but I think what you said at the end plus considering last year's games doesn't make it as steep of a climb as you think:

Schedule 2+ wins as you said would put us at 5 wins (based off winning 3 last year)

I'm of the belief a Bill Busch presence can make an immediate impact and perhaps games like michigan st and illinois r wins without special teams blunders... that gets us to 7)

To get to 9- that is really where we're gonna see the improvement or not.  Do we beat ourselves against Purdue and can we just be not dumb against minnesota (ie losing to them when all they could do was run with one guy).  These 2 happening gets us to the 9 level.

Let's say the coaching changes and transfers really gel and we take a michigan state esque leap like they did last year?  Then all of a sudden a beating an iowa and/or wisconsin becomes believable (we were in both of those games late last year).

Do I think all of this is going to happen? Naw, def not, we'll prolly piss away a game we shouldnt.  But I don't think a 9 win campaign is that far fetched if we see a clear upgrade in some of the above

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

OL is still the biggest question mark imo. If they can block somewhat effectively and our stable of RBs can get going and give Thompson time to throw, we have the opportunity to be very successful.

One thing I am hopeful is I think it was Whip (or maybe interview w/Masker) talking about getting the ball out faster on passing plays.  That film review showed we held the ball too long.  I'd like to think a technician like Joseph will also have the guys running rights correctly and being in the right place, at the right time (on time).  OL is a huge question for sure.  The game has always and will continue to be won in the trenches.

5 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I think this is where some (me for sure) have concerns moving forward is looking at our record against West (B1G) teams and it's not very good at all.  Like really bad.  So hard to think that with one off season with all the additions that we will suddenly beat teams that have owned us the past 4 years.  Eventually the ball has to bounce our way in some of these close games.  TBH, I'd love for Frost to be the guy to "Restore the Order".  I still love some of Cally's quotes....Burn the Boats, F'in Hill Billies etc...

13 hours ago, Undone said:

Tell me again how many games we won last year?

The floor is not "5" if the actual floor was set at 3...right?

This is some silly semantics. Clearly people are giving their opinions on what they think the floor is for the coming season, which doesn't have to be the same as the previous season. But if you're going to be pedantic about it: the actual floor is 0 wins.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm on record as saying I'd be willing to judge Frost on more than W/L in his first few seasons. 

That came to pass last year when the team played top competition down to the wire, and never suffered a single blowout. 

But my ceiling for "a few seasons" was capped at 4.  It's Season Five. I gotta start judging progress with actual wins. 

Scott lowered the bar to 3 wins, but I'd like to reinstate a 7 win minimum. 

47 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm on record as saying I'd be willing to judge Frost on more than W/L in his first few seasons. 

That came to pass last year when the team played top competition down to the wire, and never suffered a single blowout. 

But my ceiling for "a few seasons" was capped at 4.  It's Season Five. I gotta start judging progress with actual wins. 

Scott lowered the bar to 3 wins, but I'd like to reinstate a 7 win minimum. 

Totally agree on that last sentence. Even though we've fallen so far, even though we're completely irrelevant in the greater college football landscape, and even though we're basically the bottom of the barrel of the B1G I still think that a regular season record of less than 8-4 for Husker football is a failure.

He has got to win at least 7 games this season though to be worthy of keeping his job with all of the upgrades all over the board, and if that happens I'll be back to expecting 8 wins starting with 2023 on out.

I agree with you about how he seemed to have gotten the team more mentally tough last year to not buckle when games were close in the second half. There was big improvement there. But I just can't really get over how it took him so long to figure out how important special teams would be.

Better late than never in bringing Busch in and these kickers though. I think if we play well this year, special teams improvement will be a huge part of it. It has to be.