Your Predictions For The West

btw...thanks for reviving the thread. It's pretty interesting how bullish the national media was on Nebraska pre-season, how foolish we felt for that optimism just five days ago, and how quickly we're back to handicapping our chances to win the division. 

My prediction? A total clusterfugg of flawed teams beating each other up, with Purdue somehow emerging to win with a tie-breaker.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My next door neighbor is a big sports buff. We meet on the street every day and talk sports. He came over for the 49ers game last night. He went to Illinois and I asked him what he thought about the Wisconsin game. He didn't even know Illinois had won.  I asked him how he could become so disengaged from Illinois football and he said "years and years of experience." 

That is funny!

They have done a bad job winning but because of that the student game day culture is not at all about the game.

The campus has a huge Greek life and they rent out the bars on game day, so they open up like 2 hours early for the houses that rent it out and they all party...then no one wants to leave to watch, what is usually, a bad team. 

And it is just far enough from Chicago that fans that live there are not making the drive. 

8 hours ago, BoSolich said:

ur aware they lost to indiana?

i would say the west is completely up for grabs

Illinois loss to Indiana isn't as important as a west matchup, it doesn't hurt you as a tie-breaker.  

Losing to an East team, (or even a crappy west team like NW who isn't going to be in it,) hurts you less.  They need the tiebreakers against Purdue and Minnie.  I'm not counting BB out.

Just now, Red Five said:

Couple other interesting observations looking at that:

Big 12 = SEC w/o Bama, Georgia, and Vandy

Big Ten w/o Ohio St and Michigan = Pac 12 w/o Colorado = ACC

Interesting observations.  Pretty much everyone looks significantly worse without their best two teams.

Pac-12 without USC and Utah = AAC

ACC without Clemson = AAC without Temple & USF

• Plus1 1
On 10/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, Red Five said:

Chances to win the West according to ESPN FPI

Minnesota 41%

Purdue 32%

Illinois 15%

Iowa 7%

Wisconsin 4%

Nebraska 1%

Northwestern 0%

https://www.espn.com/college-football/powerIndex/_/group/5

Purdue 48%

Minnesota 25%

Illinois 19%

Wisconsin 7%

Iowa 1%

Nebraska 1%

Northwestern 0%

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Purdue 48%

Minnesota 25%

Illinois 19%

Wisconsin 7%

Iowa 1%

Nebraska 1%

Northwestern 0%

Purdue's win over Maryland is huge. They keep only one loss to the East with Indiana remaining. They beat Minny who still has Penn St which will likely be a loss. Illinois still has Michigan and Wisky has to survive Maryland as well.

Purdue has to travel to Illinois and Wisky, but come out 1-1 there and they have done most of the work to win the division. 

On 10/5/2022 at 9:48 AM, Red Five said:

Here is a composite of 6 different computer rankings based on "Expected point margin over an average team".  Minnesota still favorite for the West, then a cluster of Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa, then Nebraska and Northwestern at the bottom.

FeTMaXQXEAc5umd?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I love this graph.  Lays stuff out in a very readable fashion.

FexBBGZWQAAW8kL?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Plus1 3
On 10/11/2022 at 9:21 AM, Red Five said:

I love this graph.  Lays stuff out in a very readable fashion.

FexBBGZWQAAW8kL?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Through week 8.  Nationally there is a top 3, big gap to 4-6, small gap to 7-9, then a tiny gap to the rest.

For the West, computers have Minny and Illinois in a dead heat followed by Purdue /Wisc (Minny is preset much eliminated from winning the West).  NU is almost an “average team”.

FfZ68TPXEAEfWA3?format=jpg&name=large

• Plus1 2