Your Predictions For The West

1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

I still see us as 4th in the West, which puts us middle of the pack.

I think 7-5 retains Frost. Why? Because he will be 5-5 versus p5 competition. The other two games he is expected to win. I think for every bad loss he has this year (Illinois or Indiana) he has to have a big win (Iowa, Wisconsin, OU). I am riding on the 7-5 train. If he can't do that this year we deserve to go out and get us a coach that can. The schedule does not get easier for him. 

You should find 5 wins against 

Northwestern

Purdue

Indiana

Rutgers

Illinois

Minnesota

Iowa

Very unlikely

Wisconsin

OU

Michigan

Why is Iowa going to be harder to beat than Wisconsin?

Both have beat us regularly…but we have shown we can play with both. I think both are beatable if we stop doing stupid things.  

• Plus1 3

7 hours ago, Undone said:

We're a 5-7 team so I'm going to predict a 5-7 season.

Want to be completely wrong and win 9 in the regular season but I'm just not seeing it. There's enough talent & resources to put together at least a 7-5 team but Scott's program has some serious demons to shake off to make even that happen.

Sure I can see us at 5-7 or worse.  If the Huskers retained their previous OL, RB & OC/WR coaches.  And 2AM returned for his 5th year starting.

-What we know is that the OL blocking scheme has changed (Raiola)
-The running game /scheme has changed (Applewhite + Raiola)
-The receiver routes and understanding has changed (MJoseph)
-The QB philosophy and play making has changed (Whipple)
-The play calling on game day will change (Whipple + Frost)
-The offense strategy has changed (Whipple, Joseph, Applewhite, Raiola, Beckton)
-The special teams have changed (a ST coach, new kicker, new punter, new ST roles)
-The previous starters are older and stronger
-The OLinemen are 21,22,23 years old with experience.
-The new transfer players are ready to go and contribute
-The new QB has put in the work and has some Texas swag
-The backup /future QB is from Florida State!
-The blackshirts from last year have paved the way for this year's blackshirt defense

-There is no Verduzco or Greg Austin or Ryan Held or some OC/WR coach catering to HCSF.

5 wins?  That's just disrespectful.  And so is 6 wins.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
11 hours ago, admo said:

Sure I can see us at 5-7 or worse.  If the Huskers retained their previous OL, RB & OC/WR coaches.  And 2AM returned for his 5th year starting.

-What we know is that the OL blocking scheme has changed (Raiola)
-The running game /scheme has changed (Applewhite + Raiola)
-The receiver routes and understanding has changed (MJoseph)
-The QB philosophy and play making has changed (Whipple)
-The play calling on game day will change (Whipple + Frost)
-The offense strategy has changed (Whipple, Joseph, Applewhite, Raiola, Beckton)
-The special teams have changed (a ST coach, new kicker, new punter, new ST roles)
-The previous starters are older and stronger
-The OLinemen are 21,22,23 years old with experience.
-The new transfer players are ready to go and contribute
-The new QB has put in the work and has some Texas swag
-The backup /future QB is from Florida State!
-The blackshirts from last year have paved the way for this year's blackshirt defense

-There is no Verduzco or Greg Austin or Ryan Held or some OC/WR coach catering to HCSF.

5 wins?  That's just disrespectful.  And so is 6 wins.

Admo, 

I enjoyed your share and thoughts.  I am especially thankful to see the heart and belief that you are expressing.

I'm seeing all these changes stated as improvements and making us better.  That may be the case in the longer term, but does it transfer over to the degree that we would like in this season, that is the part where I lose my own belief.  I'm fully necognizing that I have a negative impression.  I've been told for three years that "this is a really good team", "we are just a player away", "we have a few mistakes to clean up" ... and now another big overhaul that will be the difference.

If I take your argument and add it your changes, which then takes out the negatives in my mind, then easily, there is no reason at all to go at least 8-4.  One could say that we lose to OU, Michigan, Wisky and Iowa perhaps [but I would think we would beat either Wisky or Iowa.

For me, with all the changes you are explaining, it really isn't even possible to finish worse than 9-3.

This brings me then to the "what if's" ...

... we lose to Minni also?

... we get tripped up by Purdue or Illinois?

If we end up 6-6 or 5-7, we would lose to all the expected teams [OU, Michigan, Wisky and Iowa] ... and a few that we know are bottom dwellers and out-recruit [and we made all these changes to improve] and still, we hit that 6-6 or 5-7 mark ... then what happens?

For me, it feels like we will still give Scott another year ... because we are "just so close" [the, "we are one player away" syndrome].   

... Below, I adopted page 30 from the Big Book of AA.  For me, this will apply if we go anything less than 6-6 [that is a very, very low bar for 5 years and an the schedule] and keep Scott.

If we go 6-6, will we be willing to admit we need to leave Scott behind?  No person likes to think Scott is not the answer to the problems at Nebraska. Thus, I'm not surprised that our football program has been characterized by countless vain attempts [5 years] to prove we could play football like Scott's National Championship team or other successful teams/coaches here. The idea that somehow, someday he will "get this fixed" ["we are one player away"] and create a winning environment will still be the great obsession of the Red Kool-aid drinkers; and that he is still the answer.  The persistence of this illusion for me has been astonishing ... and will continue to puzzle me. Will some within the fanbase pursue it into the gates of insanity [or are we already there]?  I think we will find out.  My hope is that we learn that we had to fully concede to our innermost football IQ, that we are clueless as a fan base. This is the first step in restoring the program. The delusion that Nebraska is like other programs, or presently may be, has to be smashed.  

• Fire 1

It’s hard to tell but the drastic changes to the offense and STs can’t be over emphasized imo.  The offense, coaching wise, is totally altered and each coach added brings a fresh set of eyes and ideas. Apparently SF is allowing substantial changes, within the general passing oriented framework, he wants.  It’s inconceivable to me that we will see more of the same, with a few minor ‘tweaks’.  We’ve added ACC, Big 12 and SEC minds coupled with NFL experience too.  

Im not very hopeful I will see enough power run and or option BUT Whipple did actually use that word once recently I think.  We just need to keep the defense honest.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see NW come out attacking the QB right away expecting, reasonably imo, that our new offense, with so many new things and players, may struggle early on.  That’s highly likely. Every team in game one finds execution issues typically.  A short week, travel, awkward surroundings, etc won’t help.  Defenses often have the edge early in the season.  

However, Whipple and Frost also have the advantages of being almost an unknown and scouting our O will be very ‘ify’.  Therefore, expect a fairly careful, conservative NW defense in the opening series or too.  If Frosty-Whip can script the first three possessions right and guys execute, DONU might just jump out to a nice lead.  That’ll give Chin a chance to unleash the dogs and game 1 could be a solid opening WIN.  

Busch might just pull out a few new tricks and get a kick return or a blocked punt.  We need a solid deep snapper and make those FGs inside 40 yrds.   There will be speed and tacklers on coverage. Guys will know where to be and what to do in STs.  

I don’t expect NW to power run us and push us around so stopping their run game seems doable. Our secondary is GOOD!   Our LBs play smart, fundamentally sound ball.  

IF the offense plays decent, I predict Huskers win 41-13!   If Frosty-Whip gets whiplashed, NW 24 NU 16.   Most likely - Huskers win handily!   GBR!  

Qualifier:    An opening win will not assure future success as the elements of surprise and preparation time is reduced and competition increases.  

I think with changes to the offense and what seem to be WR who are more dynamic added the offense should be better.  Whipple seems to like to run route combos to put pressure on certain defenders to get one guy open on each play.  With that one guy having two options off his route based on his defender.  Makes it easier on all those involved.  I always felt Frost may have made his guys have to think too much and you could see it a few times with guys running the "wrong" route based on the defense and then the QB seeing something different.  Seemed to happen a few times with Betts as well as others.  Might have been the reason we didn't see some of the more "athletic" guys we had on the field.  I like the RBs we have.  Ervin showed signs before he got hurt and I like what I saw from Grant in the spring.  Yant wont be the guy but he showed he can come in and do some things.  Ramir is Ramir.  I don't see how the OL can get worse than it was last year.  Beside center which is important but not like Cam was blocking the most dangerous guy on the field every play.  If they stay the same or even improve just a little they should be fine.  Thompson has experience behind a bad line.  I don't see the defense dropping off with some of the additions.  Plus if the kicker and punter can just not be terrible thats probably worth 2 field goals a game and set up probably another score due to better field position.  So that alone should be worth 3 wins in games they should have won last year.  Throw in another win for a hot streak and then another for a win in a toss up game.  8 wins.  probably good for 2nd or third in the west

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why is Iowa going to be harder to beat than Wisconsin?

Both have beat us regularly…but we have shown we can play with both. I think both are beatable if we stop doing stupid things.  

Iowa is not harder to beat. We have played them closer than Wisconsin under Frost. They are more beatable and I think we are due for one against them. 

If you meant why is Iowa easier to beat. Look at the scores below. They are much closer to beating Iowa under Frost then Wisconsin.

2018: 31-28- Lost off a game winning field goal

2019: 27-24- Lost off a game winning field goal

2020: 26-20 - Nebraska was driving until a Martinez fumble at midfield

2021: 28-21- Nebraska was in the red zone and in scoring position to win/tie until a pick was thrown by Smothers.

Under very unlikely we win, I have Wisconsin. We have only been close one year against them (2021) under Frost. They have dominated us at the line of scrimmage but we have hung around and put up yards against them. They have just been better than Nebraska. Defensively, Nebraska has struggled the most against Wisconsin outside of OSU. This is why Wisconsin is more difficult to beat. 

• Plus1 4
22 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Iowa is not harder to beat. We have played them closer than Wisconsin under Frost. They are more beatable and I think we are due for one against them. 

If you meant why is Iowa easier to beat. Look at the scores below. They are much closer to beating Iowa under Frost then Wisconsin.

2018: 31-28- Lost off a game winning field goal

2019: 27-24- Lost off a game winning field goal

2020: 26-20 - Nebraska was driving until a Martinez fumble at midfield

2021: 28-21- Nebraska was in the red zone and in scoring position to win/tie until a pick was thrown by Smothers.

Under very unlikely we win, I have Wisconsin. We have only been close one year against them (2021) under Frost. They have dominated us at the line of scrimmage but we have hung around and put up yards against them. They have just been better than Nebraska. Defensively, Nebraska has struggled the most against Wisconsin outside of OSU. This is why Wisconsin is more difficult to beat. 

I understand all that.  I still think that if we can beat Iowa, we can beat Wisconsin.  They are actually very similar teams.  Good O lines, decent defense and offenses that aren't high scoring.  They are teams that we can beat, if we don't beat ourselves.  I can't remember what year it was (2 years ago?) where we marched up and down the field on Wisconsin, but their defense kept us out of the endzone and our kicker was so horrible he couldn't make a 20 yarder.  So, we would get to the 10 or 15 and go for it and they would stuff us.  They beat us, I think, by than two TDs.  But, when you looked back at the game, if we had a kicker, we would have been right there with them or beat them.  (they may have had a punt or KO returned for a TD that game too).

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand all that.  I still think that if we can beat Iowa, we can beat Wisconsin.  They are actually very similar teams.  Good O lines, decent defense and offenses that aren't high scoring.  They are teams that we can beat, if we don't beat ourselves.  I can't remember what year it was (2 years ago?) where we marched up and down the field on Wisconsin, but their defense kept us out of the endzone and our kicker was so horrible he couldn't make a 20 yarder.  So, we would get to the 10 or 15 and go for it and they would stuff us.  They beat us, I think, by than two TDs.  But, when you looked back at the game, if we had a kicker, we would have been right there with them or beat them.  (they may have had a punt or KO returned for a TD that game too).

The difference is talent on offense. I'd call both defense elite rather than decent, but Iowa doesn't have a single skill position guy who scares you. Wisconsin has Braelon Allen, and then receivers who are never consistent but can make a few plays. Wisconsin is the tougher team for me for sure. Frost seems to know how to get yards on Wisconsin's defense which helps, but the points are still hard to come by and their offense has a much higher ceiling. They have both schooled us in special teams as well.

• Plus1 1

On 7/25/2022 at 12:05 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think you're reading this unfairly. 

Start 0-6 for the first time in school history?

(Big problem. Seriously, WTF?)

But finish 4-2 with a good looking freshman QB?

(okay. that's something to build on.) 

Four seasons later, finish with a record slightly worse than the worst 4-8 team of all time?

(not wonderful at all. This is season four with hand-recruited talent. We've lowered expectations significantly. Even Frost's biggest supporters are concerned. Even Rod Serling agrees that Scott should be on the hot seat. 

Win enough to get to a bowl game for the first time in 6 years?

(that's still a pretty low expectation given the schedule, and Year Five for the Frost system. Might be enough to keep his job another year. But again, few would be shocked if Trev declares the Frost experiment over. It's not a Nebraska thing. It's a college football thing.)

Pretty much the opposite of a fan base that hates winning. 

To put it another way: Imagine traveling back in time to 2017 and telling Husker fans that Scott's 6-6 season in 2022 would be his best record in five years, and that the reason he doubled the wins was because he went 3-9 the year before. 

Scott can silence his doubters with 9 wins, 8 wins, maybe 7 wins. Hoping he does. But it's not radical impatience if there's a lot of grumbling about a 6-6 season. 

If we were talking about any other coach then you'd have a point.  Hell, he would have been gone years ago.

But you have to use Twighlight Zone logic since we're talking about Frost.  You're out of your gourd if you think 6-6 gets Frost anything but a nice long leash by the administration and a majority of the fan base.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If we were talking about any other coach then you'd have a point.  Hell, he would have been gone years ago.

But you have to use Twighlight Zone logic since we're talking about Frost.  You're out of your gourd if you think 6-6 gets Frost anything but a nice long leash by the administration and a majority of the fan base.

Out of your gourd, long leash, and Twilight Zone are pretty strong terms when it wouldn't take much to turn things either way.

A 5-1 start followed by a 1-5 finish would be a very unhappy 6-6 season, especially if it earned you sad little bowl game. Lose that game and it's highly imaginable the Frost era is over and few fans would object. A perfectly flat 6-6 season and fourth place in the division is still teetering on the brink. Frost would still be on a very short leash, no Twilight Zone logic required. 

By your "twice as many wins" logic, a 5-7 season would just be one fewer win, and 66% better than last year. But I don't see Frost keeping his job, and you wouldn't have to venture out of your gourd to agree. 

With this schedule?  7-5 is progress. 8-4 means we're back. 9-3 means we've gone Pelini. 10-2 means Trev Alberts saved a leprechaun's life in Ireland. 

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Admo, 

I enjoyed your share and thoughts.  I am especially thankful to see the heart and belief that you are expressing.

I'm seeing all these changes stated as improvements and making us better.  That may be the case in the longer term, but does it transfer over to the degree that we would like in this season, that is the part where I lose my own belief.  I'm fully necognizing that I have a negative impression.  I've been told for three years that "this is a really good team", "we are just a player away", "we have a few mistakes to clean up" ... and now another big overhaul that will be the difference.

If I take your argument and add it your changes, which then takes out the negatives in my mind, then easily, there is no reason at all to go at least 8-4.  One could say that we lose to OU, Michigan, Wisky and Iowa perhaps [but I would think we would beat either Wisky or Iowa.

For me, with all the changes you are explaining, it really isn't even possible to finish worse than 9-3.

This brings me then to the "what if's" ...

... we lose to Minni also?

... we get tripped up by Purdue or Illinois?

If we end up 6-6 or 5-7, we would lose to all the expected teams [OU, Michigan, Wisky and Iowa] ... and a few that we know are bottom dwellers and out-recruit [and we made all these changes to improve] and still, we hit that 6-6 or 5-7 mark ... then what happens?

For me, it feels like we will still give Scott another year ... because we are "just so close" [the, "we are one player away" syndrome].   

... Below, I adopted page 30 from the Big Book of AA.  For me, this will apply if we go anything less than 6-6 [that is a very, very low bar for 5 years and an the schedule] and keep Scott.

If we go 6-6, will we be willing to admit we need to leave Scott behind?  No person likes to think Scott is not the answer to the problems at Nebraska. Thus, I'm not surprised that our football program has been characterized by countless vain attempts [5 years] to prove we could play football like Scott's National Championship team or other successful teams/coaches here. The idea that somehow, someday he will "get this fixed" ["we are one player away"] and create a winning environment will still be the great obsession of the Red Kool-aid drinkers; and that he is still the answer.  The persistence of this illusion for me has been astonishing ... and will continue to puzzle me. Will some within the fanbase pursue it into the gates of insanity [or are we already there]?  I think we will find out.  My hope is that we learn that we had to fully concede to our innermost football IQ, that we are clueless as a fan base. This is the first step in restoring the program. The delusion that Nebraska is like other programs, or presently may be, has to be smashed.  

Thank you, and I appreciate your thoughts and concerns too.  To some truth, it really isn't possible to get 7 wins or less, just based on a fairly healthy team, good backups and depth, and coaching. The talent and experience is in every room at this point.  The schedule favors us.