2022 Fall Camp Notes - Special Teams

• 3 weeks later...

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's surprising to me since Palmer has P5 experience doing it and has shown to be very good at it.

One of Palmer’s kick return TD highlights he dropped it, then picked it up again.  So maybe he’s not as consistent fielding the kicks??  He (Palmer) sure can run, though.  

"Our effort has been tremendous on special teams in all phases ... We're trying to tell them 'whoa' then 'go,' which means there's sometimes we need them to slow down then speed up," the Husker special teams coordinator said after Thursday's practice. "There are no issues with getting a very interested and invested group out there for every drill, everything we're doing."

Here's the way I look at it.  ST has flat out lost us so many games over the last few years, we need our top talented players on the units.  If they get hurt?  Someone else is going to have to step up.  If we lose some games because a top player got injured on ST, so be it.  We were losing the games anyway because they WEREN'T on the units.

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's surprising to me since Palmer has P5 experience doing it and has shown to be very good at it.

From the same article^:

Busch has mentioned Anthony Grant as a possible lead option at kick returner before. "Anthony is doing really well for us." Not every phase of kick return is installed, but the starting portion is off and running. "We have to have guys that hit it in a vertical return, and tough people like that (that) are used to carrying it for ball security. That's why I've always enjoyed running backs at that (kick returner) position."

Trey Palmer "would be a top option for us at punt returner," Busch said. He also mentioned Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda and Tommi Hill and Brody Belt and Oliver Martin (more in security situations). "We have upped ourselves in that area a lot."

• Plus1 1

At kickoff returner, Busch said Anthony Grant, Trey Palmer, Tommi Hill, Cooper Jewett, Zach Weinmaster, and Emmett Johnson were all competing for the job. But, as of right now, Grant was in the lead.

Busch said he’d always gravitated toward running backs at kick returner since they were physical, used to getting hit, and could protect the football.

At punt returner, Palmer, Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda, Hill, Brody Belt, and Oliver Martin are in the mix.

At gunner, Johnson, Palmer, Garcia-Castaneda, Belt, and Wyatt Liewer were the top guys right now. Busch said he liked receivers in that role because they were natural at releasing downfield through contact.

On3

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's the way I look at it.  ST has flat out lost us so many games over the last few years, we need our top talented players on the units.  If they get hurt?  Someone else is going to have to step up.  If we lose some games because a top player got injured on ST, so be it.  We were losing the games anyway because they WEREN'T on the units.

True next man up mentality. If the players want the team to succeed then every player has to buy in not some. Meaning if top guys get injured player special teams then its time for their opportunity to shine!!!!