Ahman Green

3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

One of my favorite runs of Ahman's was against Colorado in '95.  The 57 yd touchdown to the house.  Just a thing of beauty.

Familiar quote after that run "They knew it was coming and they still couldn't stop it".   Boy I miss those days.  I'd put Tom's teams against the Bama teams of Sabin (and account for era differences or maybe not!!) I think Tom's teams win most of those battles.  The OL was so dominate and the RBs so great and Frazier and Frost knew how to run that offense. Machine like. 

Regarding the topic:  Pure Runner - hard to beat Rozier.   Perhaps LP would have been the most dominant and most likely a Heisman if he hadn't gotten into trouble.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

One of my favorite runs of Ahman's was against Colorado in '95.  The 57 yd touchdown to the house.  Just a thing of beauty.

Osborne saw something on film and actually commented before the game that he wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska scored on their first play (paraphrasing).

It's super unusual for Osborne to have said something like that.

• Fire 2
28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Osborne saw something on film and actually commented before the game that he wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska scored on their first play (paraphrasing).

It's super unusual for Osborne to have said something like that.

Yes, there were several times when he was prophetic:  The 95 Orange Bowl against Miami  -his half time speech comes to mind. It all played out like he said it would. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, HANC said:

When you take into account their post Nebraska career… tough to argue Green’s success….and obviously Craig

Agreed.  I wonder what Rozier could have accomplished if he had gone directly to the NFL instead of the USFL.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Familiar quote after that run "They knew it was coming and they still couldn't stop it".   Boy I miss those days.  I'd put Tom's teams against the Bama teams of Sabin (and account for era differences or maybe not!!) I think Tom's teams win most of those battles.  The OL was so dominate and the RBs so great and Frazier and Frost knew how to run that offense. Machine like. 

Regarding the topic:  Pure Runner - hard to beat Rozier.   Perhaps LP would have been the most dominant and most likely a Heisman if he hadn't gotten into trouble.

90s teams yes. Mid to late 80s teams no. 

58 minutes ago, Mavric said:

To be fair, I have no recollection of seeing Rozier play.

Ahman is probably my favorite Husker of all time.

But Phillips is the best running back we've had in my time.

You are just too young!  You missed I M Hipp - the RB with the best and coolest name

• Oh Yeah! 1

LP was the most dominant RB to ever wear the scarlet and cream. Period. Then there were more than a handful more that were scary great including Rozier & Green. Heck with the early/mid 90s OLs and perimeter blocking we had, 20+ of the RBs we’ve had over the years would’ve been the greatest evers. It was just a finely tuned machine in the 90’s and early 80’s. Lately the offense has been more akin to that Corvair project car that’s been sitting unattended in your neighbor’s garage for two decades.

• Plus1 1

Phillips was the best RB in Husker history and would have been the #1 pick and ahall of fame great if he wasn't fighting so many demons. And was a lock for virtually every publications Heisman winner until his suspension.

Mike Rozier would have been the top pick in the NFL except the team picking #1 was the 49ers and they already had their future running back . A name further down, Roger Craig so they took Steve Young and Rozier went #2. But he was the #1 pick of the USFL so he signed there. And he did win the Heisman. Roger Craig was a Heisman candidate running back, he also was the first in NFL history to run and catch for 1000 yards apiece in the same season. He moved to Fullback at Nebraska because of Rozier .

Then Green. Dude is just the definition of a workhorse everydown back. But just a step below elite superstar player.

And if you can count Roger Craig and Johnny Rodger's who both played Runningback but are known for a different position. Green just is out of the top 5

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
31 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

And if you can count Roger Craig and Johnny Rodger's who both played Runningback but are known for a different position.

What position did Roger Craig play?

Green's stats at NU trump Craig's by a wide margin.  Both played 3 years and Green had 60% more yards and 70% more TDs than Craig.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

What position did Roger Craig play?

Green's stats at NU trump Craig's by a wide margin.  Both played 3 years and Green had 60% more yards and 70% more TDs than Craig.

Craig’s handicap was that he was  2nd fiddle to Rozier for 2 or 3 years. We never really got a fair chance to see what he could’ve  done at Nebraska as a 3 or 4 year feature back. But we did get a very good idea of what it could’ve been after seeing his brilliant career with the 49ers. He was amazing but just didn’t get the same opportunity to display it as Rozier.

• Oh Yeah! 1

I agree about Lawrence Phillips being the Husker's best ever.

But, I'm also in the minority that thinks Rex Burkhead was #2 on the list.  Because, in four years - he never disappointed getting that yard.  

4th and 2 - get's hit in the backfield - 3 yards deep - breaks the tackle, ducks, turns, bends, stretches and gains 3 yards.  Drive continues. That's a real back IMHO

• Plus1 1