2022 Fall Camp Notes - Linebackers

That's some good news about Henrich, Mauga-Clements and Hausmann.

Ok I am going to take Ruud's word about Reimer being ok.  I just hate undisclosed injuries.  Like, turf toe? Disc/Vertebrae?  Hand - Carpal Tunnel?  He is such a big factor within this defense, and last year took a pounding for sure.  Glad he's going to be good.

Just now, Toe said:

This is Mauga's last year of eligibility, right? He was a developmental project guy with a lot of potential upside. Pretty much now or never, though...

He is a senior but I didn't have him marked down as using his redshirt.  But I believe if he plays (in more than four games), it will be his last year.

On3 shows him originally being class of 2018.  His Huskers.com profile says he redshirted at Diablo Valley CC but played in 18 games.  He would have been there in 2018 and 2019 and played in 10 games in 2019 which would mean the other eight would have been in 2018 and thus not a redshirt.  If that was two years and 2020 didn't count, he would have been a Junior last year (which is what Huskers.com says) and a senior this year.

• Plus1 1

I'm hoping Ruud is able to work more of a rotation this year, especially with EMC - he said he wished he had last year. Across the board, I think we played it a little safe last year on defense. If you look at the numbers, we were solid on everything except the havoc plays Chins is looking for. Easy for me to say from my armchair, but I would be willing to live with a few more leaky plays that might have come with playing guys like EMC, Jimari Butler, Braxton Clark a little more. Very small sample sizes (and against bad teams), but EMC and Clark have had some production when they had chances. We need a few playmakers to step up, and those are the guys I'd be looking at to start with. 

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm hoping Ruud is able to work more of a rotation this year, especially with EMC - he said he wished he had last year. Across the board, I think we played it a little safe last year on defense. If you look at the numbers, we were solid on everything except the havoc plays Chins is looking for. Easy for me to say from my armchair, but I would be willing to live with a few more leaky plays that might have come with playing guys like EMC, Jimari Butler, Braxton Clark a little more. Very small sample sizes (and against bad teams), but EMC and Clark have had some production when they had chances. We need a few playmakers to step up, and those are the guys I'd be looking at to start with. 

It would be easier to live with "a few more leaky plays" if every single one of our games wasn't down to the wire with a chance to win it late.  The defense was needing to do everything they could to not allow those types of plays, keep it close, try their best to keep good field position and hopefully the offense would come through.

Hopefully, this year is better with the offense being more reliable at the end of games that the defense can take more risks.  

• Plus1 3
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

It would be easier to live with "a few more leaky plays" if every single one of our games wasn't down to the wire with a chance to win it late.  The defense was needing to do everything they could to not allow those types of plays, keep it close, try their best to keep good field position and hopefully the offense would come through.

Hopefully, this year is better with the offense being more reliable at the end of games that the defense can take more risks.  

True, but I would argue (outside of Wisconsin) what we really needed was somebody to make a splash play in those close games. Holding the line and hoping the offense would come through is exactly what didn't work - you don't want them out there trying to play hero ball, but taking the game over with a TO or big sack would've helped more. We'll never know, quite possible the other guys would have given up more plays and still not made the game changing splash plays. But after a long offseason sitting with 3 wins, I wish we would have at least tried a few different guys in a rotation.

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Hausmann said to already look physically equal to Henrich and Reimer in the middle.  Sure sounds like he'll find playing time this fall, for sure on special teams.

That's one position I was worried about our depth so that's good to hear.