2022 Fall Camp Notes - Linebackers

On 7/25/2022 at 9:49 AM, Husker in WI said:

True, but I would argue (outside of Wisconsin) what we really needed was somebody to make a splash play in those close games. Holding the line and hoping the offense would come through is exactly what didn't work - you don't want them out there trying to play hero ball, but taking the game over with a TO or big sack would've helped more. We'll never know, quite possible the other guys would have given up more plays and still not made the game changing splash plays. But after a long offseason sitting with 3 wins, I wish we would have at least tried a few different guys in a rotation.

Totally agree with this.

Nobody would rag on the defense from last year after so much improvement over previous years, and especially since the offense had so many unforced errors.

But like, what if you get pressure and you're getting sacks, or a strip sack here or there? Like you say, it maybe changes the outcome and swings some of those games our way.

I think Nelson maybe looks a touch slimmer & quicker from the fall camps stuff I've seen, and I think this is smart. Combine that with Mathis and you just never know - we might actually be getting good pressure this year. We'll see!

• Oh Yeah! 1

Asked about the No. 3 ILB spot, Ruud said Eteva Mauga-Clements was the most improved player in the unit since last season. Ruud said he’d been “extremely impressed” with Mauga-Clements, especially with his intelligence and overall understanding of the defense.

Ruud said Mauga-Clements was asking “400-level questions” now, which was a sign of how far along he was in his knowledge of the defense.

Ruud admitted that he “did a poor job” rotating at inside linebacker last season, as he leaned too heavily on Reimer and Henrich. He said he was determined to get more guys involved this year to get other guys game reps and keep Reimer and Henrich fresh.

On3

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Asked about the No. 3 ILB spot, Ruud said Eteva Mauga-Clements was the most improved player in the unit since last season. Ruud said he’d been “extremely impressed” with Mauga-Clements, especially with his intelligence and overall understanding of the defense.

Ruud said Mauga-Clements was asking “400-level questions” now, which was a sign of how far along he was in his knowledge of the defense.

Ruud admitted that he “did a poor job” rotating at inside linebacker last season, as he leaned too heavily on Reimer and Henrich. He said he was determined to get more guys involved this year to get other guys game reps and keep Reimer and Henrich fresh.

On3

Reimer was also shouting him out, said he's had a great camp and is the best blitzer in the room.

47 minutes ago, Decked said:

They both are still undersized

I don’t disagree. Kpai is listed at 305 I believe. Malcom is listed at 215, but also 6’4 which makes him a little thin, but most of our lb are in that 220-225 range. Really thought Malcom would slide outside.

6 minutes ago, HANC said:

I don’t disagree. Kpai is listed at 305 I believe. Malcom is listed at 215, but also 6’4 which makes him a little thin, but most of our lb are in that 220-225 range. Really thought Malcom would slide outside.

305? My god. That’s a goal line linebacker!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
4 hours ago, HANC said:

Any word on how far down guys like Kpai and Malcom are? They were both 3* kids who are great athletes. Both rs-fr this year. 

Pretty tough to tell other than they're not in the two-deep.  Sounded the other day like all the upperclassmen (Reimer, Henrich, Mauga & Snodgrass) were the first two units which would leave the freshmen (Kpai, Malcom, Gbayor and true frosh Hausmann) behind them.  Although Hausmann is obviously getting a lot of talk the last couple of days.

I've seen more talk about Kpai and Malcom than Gbayor although really all I saw about Malcom was he was still just adjusting to the game and needs to keep getting bigger.  

I wouldn't expect to see either this year unless they get on special teams.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

With Henrich out against UND, we saw Hausmann and Kolaveric on the field.

I think it is of crucial importance to get our ILB backups (depth) on the field in meaningful minutes each game, even if it's one drive a game, and then hopefully some mop up time in addition.

We have got to have more ILB then just these two mentioned, to go along with Reimer and Henrich.

If Ruud get's scared like last year, our starters will be broken down too much in Chin's defense.

2nd half stretch of Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa.... We need healthy fresh bodies to count on and take plays, to keep our starters somewhat fresh.

There are rotations for RBs, WRs, TE, DL, DE, .... (fresh bodies, starters getting rests).  Ruud needs to get others involved (with less Kolaveric)

• Plus1 1