Nebraska '95 vs. LSU '19: Who's the GOAT?

As many of you know I live in South Louisiana and it's damn near unbearable listening to all the LSU fans proclaiming the '19 team at the Greatest of All-Time. I remain steadfast in my belief that the 1995 Cornhuskers are the best to ever play, but their argument is somewhat valid, based on the number of games LSU won that season, the teams they faced, and the success in the NFL of the players they had. Who's right?

• Haha 1

Seriously?? Every prominent broadcaster outside of Louisiana will praise the 2019 LSU championship but also concede the 1995 Huskers were the better of the two. A high school paper laid it out well here and in detail, here is an even better breakdown of the numbers. Lastly, considering the opponents in the championship games. I think a good question to determine the discussions outcome is, which team (LSU or NE) faced a better national championship opponent. (I'd argue 1995 Florida was better than 2019 Clemson but I think that discussion is even closer than current topic's question.)

1995 Neb is the best.  Not really close imo.  I think stats would also show it.  NU at 52 pts a game ( in that era is equivalent to 60 today.  Offense yards as well with rush yards worth even 1.5 to 1 over pass to boot.  95 Blackshirts were near best in the country as well.  Great special teams. Great depth. Best HC. Exceptional staff.  No weakness anywhere.  There were some top 5 all time OU teams as well that might be above LSU.  

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

Seriously?? Every prominent broadcaster outside of Louisiana will praise the 2019 LSU championship but also concede the 1995 Huskers were the better of the two. A high school paper laid it out well here and in detail, here is an even better breakdown of the numbers. Lastly, considering the opponents in the championship games. I think a good question to determine the discussions outcome is, which team (LSU or NE) faced a better national championship opponent. (I'd argue 1995 Florida was better than 2019 Clemson but I think that discussion is even closer than current topic's question.)

Their argument is that they beat more Top 10 teams, more NFL talent, more wins, tougher schedule. We didn't have to play Switzer-coached Oklahoma or an elite Miami or FSU team, weak schedule, Florida had a paper defense. 

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/more-sports/1995-nebraska-vs-2011-alabama/103323936/

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/more-sports/a-look-back-on-2019-lsu-vs-2001-miami-and-1995-nebraska/103302239/

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/lsu-football/justin-jefferson-makes-goat-claim-for-the-2019-lsu-football-team/103410695/

Honestly, I think LSU 19 was so talented and it warrants the discussion. However once that first whistle blows, and we are tracking down their kick returner, the amount of knockout shots would be brutal. LSU's players could not match that intensity.

It's just a different game where guys do not have to worry about half the things they did back then. The mindset difference would sway the game quickly. 

On 7/22/2022 at 5:02 PM, In the Deed the Glory said:

There is absolutely a right answer on that one, and it isn’t LBJ. 

I personally agree with you.  However it is just opinion.  Plenty of the younger generation feel differently.  

• Haha 1