Big Ten Confidential - Nebraska

21 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

The comment about whipple coming over here sounds like a biased assessment from a kirk ferentz assistant coach who's been there for 20 years.  Assistant coaches move around all the time, feel like this day in age, anything beyond 2-3 years seems rare unless they're a shoe in to be the next coach or moving up within a progrum.

The living in the past comment is an oversimplification and ive grown tired of hearing it.

I think a more plausible explanation is that for the past 4 years the vast majority of our coaching staff had minimal qualifications to hold the jobs they did and the product on the field reflected that... Our previous co-oc and wR coach was a god damn financial advisor before coming here.  How many of our assistants had never held a P5 assistant role before?  Frosty was given a budget commensurate with a top 20 job and largely spent that money on his buddies that were barely qualified beyond a group of 5 level.

And again, im tired of the "we have the better recruiting rankings" over the big 10 west including wisconsin and iowa... this isnt true- so many of our class rankings the past 10 years were inflated by skill position players that barely stepped foot on campus.  Iowa and wisconsin out here recruiting 4 and 5* guys on the lines that for the most part stay with their progrum.  

Our players arent living in the past.  Our players just arent at the level of wiisconsin and  iowa to win consistently.  Our only difference makers on offense under frosty was an undersize wide out that we ran at running back and an oft injured qb who made horrendous decisions consistently in the passing game.  I couldn't tell you  who our biggest difference maker was on defense.  We havent had a dude that can get to the qb since randy gregory.  Football today is pretty much decided by pressuring the qb and having playmakers to put up points.  We havent had this defensively since 09-2010, we havent had it offensively since glimpses of t martinez and the rex/ameer years and we havent put both together on the field at the same time since 2001.

Hopefully we now have some playmakers at WR, let alone RB and edge rusher. But I get where you are coming from. You want to see it before you believe it. I think that is where a lot of us are at right now. I see potential but that means nothing until it’s realized. The good news is we are getting closer to actually finding out. 

• Plus1 1

Nebraska’s problems can’t be reduced to 1 or 2 simple things unless you want to attribute them all to changing directions too often. Each coach after Osborne has had their own unique issues and none of them with the exception of Pelini were given the required time to fix them. Sure, in some cases they didn’t deserve more time and probably wouldn’t have ever fixed them. But my point is, you can’t make wholesale changes to everything like we have without suffering some setbacks and when you do it 5-6 times in a row in less than 20 years, well you get the s#!tshow we’ve seen. Frost’s problems can primarily be attributed to special teams, OL and lack of player development, a system that wouldn’t work in the B1G and a staff that was in over their heads. It just isn’t as simple as anyone thinking they just have to show up because we were good at some point in the past.

• Plus1 4
5 hours ago, knapplc said:

Selling this to recruits as that Nebraska hasn't worked for 20 years. It's time to stop pretending that's who we are. That's who we were

If we can sell kids on "who we were", maybe we need to go back to "who we were".  Quit trying to be like every other program in the country.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm pretty sure our coaches aren't going into recruits and saying..."Look, we won NCs in the 90s, we are the same team, come play for the defending national champion.".

But, going into a recruit and saying, "look, Nebraska can be national champs because we were in the 90s.  We need you to help us get back to that".....is not living in the past, it's reality, we were great once, we aren't now.....but we can be again....with the right attitude and players.

I saw somewhere prior to Saban at Bama, they were 85-80 IIRC.  Similar premise.  Help us get back to winning....