Unethical Business Practices...

Does the Menards Rebate actually exist?  

I've never really cared to worry about it until this summer when we have spent several thousand dollars at the store.  We are about 8 weeks out from our first mailing. Still nothing...

My wife did tell me she submitted a few "small" claims before: we never got it.  I asked a few neighbors: two said they submitted but the price wasn't big enough to make a stink about it when it never came.  Most just said: "it's only a few bucks here and there, never dealt with it..."

My thing is there is no way a company can market this and not come through at a very high success rate.  Am I wrong?

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Does the Menards Rebate actually exist?  

I've never really cared to worry about it until this summer when we have spent several thousand dollars at the store.  We are about 8 weeks out from our first mailing. Still nothing...

My wife did tell me she submitted a few "small" claims before: we never got it.  I asked a few neighbors: two said they submitted but the price wasn't big enough to make a stink about it when it never came.  Most just said: "it's only a few bucks here and there, never dealt with it..."

My thing is there is no way a company can market this and not come through at a very high success rate.  Am I wrong?

When we remodeled our basement it was a fairly substantial rebate. We got it. 

Menards store credit of course, but they did come through.

Menards has always been about making a buck anyway they can. That's why you have to mail it in, and that's why it looks the way it does. They're hoping you'll forget about it or throw it away.

Here's a fun read about a damn good businessman and a complete a$$h@!e named John Menard:

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/bigmoney-john-menard/

And oh by the way in 2002 he paid the highest tax of any US citizen at $228 million.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

My Dad lives in Sioux Falls - he's always liked Menards.  

There isn't one in Tulsa.

Menards has always been the worst of the three for me.  (Menards, Home Depot and Lowes).  Selling into the building materials market, I know at least with what we sell, they carry the cheapest of the cheap crap on the market.  You're much better off finding a local contractor/supplier to get good quality products....and not much more expensive for what you get.  And, the local supplier will have much more knowledge of the product.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Menards has always been the worst of the three for me.  (Menards, Home Depot and Lowes).  Selling into the building materials market, I know at least with what we sell, they carry the cheapest of the cheap crap on the market.  You're much better off finding a local contractor/supplier to get good quality products....and not much more expensive for what you get.  And, the local supplier will have much more knowledge of the product.

Glad there isn't one in Tulsa then.  

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think you’re right about their building products, usually inferior to Lowes or Home Depot (which are usually inferior to better stuff). But we do travel up to Menards in Cheyenne once or twice a year because they do have some things we can’t get locally at Lowes or HD. And some of their outdoor/patio/grill/fire pit items have a better selection. So it’s not all bad.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I think you’re right about their building products, usually inferior to Lowes or Home Depot (which are usually inferior to better stuff). But we do travel up to Menards in Cheyenne once or twice a year because they do have some things we can’t get locally at Lowes or HD. And some of their outdoor/patio/grill/fire pit items have a better selection. So it’s not all bad.

I'll admit, my dislike for Menards all started back years ago when they would constantly run ads on TV with the most irritating old grey haired guy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'll admit, my dislike for Menards all started back years ago when they would constantly run ads on TV with the most irritating old grey haired guy.

Haha. I’ve never had to put up with their ads, haven’t ever lived near one.

I have gone to the one in Columbus NE numerous times while repairing things at my MILs house. Light fixtures, door knobs and hardware, window stuff, plumbing….it always struck me as the cheapest lowest quality stuff. Always got the job done but wouldn’t have been my first choice.

I've been fired from Menards but I still prefer to shop there over Lowe's and Home Depot. The store layout is better, people usually ask you if you need help (a big emphasis for the company), and the hand tools are decent but cheap. I've never really bought material there though, just basic tools.

The culture is toxic there though. Long hours, lots of requirements and focus on sales, managers are expected to chase shoplifters even though there is security. Everone is constantly in fear of corporate watching cameras or one of the family members doing a surprise audit where people are guaranteed to get fired and manager humiliated.

But I love a good deal!

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

I've been fired from Menards but I still prefer to shop there over Lowe's and Home Depot. The store layout is better, people usually ask you if you need help (a big emphasis for the company), and the hand tools are decent but cheap. I've never really bought material there though, just basic tools.

The culture is toxic there though. Long hours, lots of requirements and focus on sales, managers are expected to chase shoplifters even though there is security. Everone is constantly in fear of corporate watching cameras or one of the family members doing a surprise audit where people are guaranteed to get fired and manager humiliated.

But I love a good deal!

Ha, I hate it when employees at any of those places ask if I need help. Invariably they are incapable of any technical help and usually don’t know if they have the thing you’re looking for or where it is. I have to stop myself from laughing when they ask because I’m pretty sure I’ve got a better handle on it than they do.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Ha, I hate it when employees at any of those places ask if I need help. Invariably they are incapable of any technical help and usually don’t know if they have the thing you’re looking for or where it is. I have to stop myself from laughing when they ask because I’m pretty sure I’ve got a better handle on it than they do.

Oh, I'm sure you do. I didn't know jack s#!t when I worked there, but I learned a lot from the contractors who came in and weren't a$$h@!es. The key is to ask for a style of tool or a subject of things. Then they can lead you to the isle for you to look yourself :lol:

I hate talking to team members, but I can't find d!(k in Home Depot or Lowe's and I've got to walk all the way across the store to find someone 

• Plus1 2