2022 Fall Camp Notes - Receivers and Tight Ends

Beckton said Vokolek could have done some things this spring but the coaches held him out.

No real update on Fidone but he's working in the weight room and in Beckton's office "every single day".

Beckton said Rollins made a big jump this spring and added about 10 pounds in the weight room.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, Decked said:

Carnie needs to add more weight IMO. Hickman is just not going to work out he is just too slender. Fidone is basically confirmed not back. Think the top 3-4 is Travis, Rollins/Nate, Brewington 

It sure would be a breath of fresh air and a nice "counter", to strip a guy like Hickman of his scholarship if he doesn't pan out.  Everything is now based on money and performance.  It's all "real world" stuff now ... as the players wanted.  This is the next necessary step in the free market.  I would put "options" in any offer moving forward and give a player a set of guarantees based on performance.  It's a business now. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, BigRedN said:

It sure would be a breath of fresh air and a nice "counter", to strip a guy like Hickman of his scholarship if he doesn't pan out.  Everything is now based on money and performance.  It's all "real world" stuff now ... as the players wanted.  This is the next necessary step in the free market.  I would put "options" in any offer moving forward and give a player a set of guarantees based on performance.  It's a business now. 

I disagree.

Yes it is a business now.  Players are making financial decisions and schools are having to react.  Not that schools are paying these students, but they do kind of take on the same role in recruitment as business trying to hire the best.  As a school, If you can manage to keep up the reputation of honoring scholarships for players making good choices, you do it 100% of the time.

If NU gets to 85 through other means, cutting Hickman of his scholarship would be the stupidest (not literal of course) thing the university could do.  NU is not adding anyone new to this roster until after the season.  

34 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I disagree.

Yes it is a business now.  Players are making financial decisions and schools are having to react.  Not that schools are paying these students, but they do kind of take on the same role in recruitment as business trying to hire the best.  As a school, If you can manage to keep up the reputation of honoring scholarships for players making good choices, you do it 100% of the time.

If NU gets to 85 through other means, cutting Hickman of his scholarship would be the stupidest (not literal of course) thing the university could do.  NU is not adding anyone new to this roster until after the season.  

You have applied my thought to Hickman, which I get.  I'm stating the "bigger picture" of where this needs to go to be fair.  

My opinion is what needs to occur is that a university needs to have its freedom to part ways and be free of it's original commitment as well.  So, just thinking "bigger picture", I wasn't advocating your scenario to occur.

• Plus1 1

So the NCAA (Which should be gone anyway) needs to come up with a +10 rule.

Basically...if you have a kid on your team that just sort of sucks BUT wants to stay at the school and graduate...he gets a scholarship still but no longer counts against your football limit. 

Schools would be just fine with it.

• Plus1 3
12 hours ago, BigRedN said:

The reality is with NIL, transfer portal and now players union to try to split conference monies, it's a job.  If you are not providing a value to the company you would be let go.  I hate to say it, but the day of the student athlete is gone.  Perform, contribute or next man up.  No different than a student on an academic schollie.  Keep up the grades or you lose it.  Sometimes you get what you wanted.  Want it "like a business"?  Treat it like a business.

1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

You have applied my thought to Hickman, which I get.  I'm stating the "bigger picture" of where this needs to go to be fair.  

My opinion is what needs to occur is that a university needs to have its freedom to part ways and be free of it's original commitment as well.  So, just thinking "bigger picture", I wasn't advocating your scenario to occur.

I'm also talking about the "bigger picture".

Pulling scholarships when it isn't needed comes off as spiteful and could even be used by other teams as poor roster management.  Parents will still care about this sort of thing, and parents have a ton of input into where their kids go.

If a person in year 3 or 4 isn't pulling their weight, and is schollie number 86, there are more "friendly" ways to get them off of the roster.  Schools have been doing it for a long time!

42 minutes ago, lo country said:

The reality is with NIL, transfer portal and now players union to try to split conference monies, it's a job.  If you are not providing a value to the company you would be let go.  I hate to say it, but the day of the student athlete is gone.  Perform, contribute or next man up.  No different than a student on an academic schollie.  Keep up the grades or you lose it.  Sometimes you get what you wanted.  Want it "like a business"?  Treat it like a business.

But it is.

If I go to school on an academic scholarship and a requirement is to maintain a 3.5 GPA.  I don't lose it just because everyone else on the same scholarship is getting a 4.0 and I'm only sitting at 3.55.

Kids losing their scholarships because they "suck" probably aren't making much in NIL...

If a player is going to class.  Following team and university rules.  And being a good teammate.  It's on the coaches for misjudging the talent.  I could be for pulling the scholarship if the the remaining school expenses came out of the coach's salary.  I actually really like that idea!

8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'm also talking about the "bigger picture".

Pulling scholarships when it isn't needed comes off as spiteful and could even be used by other teams as poor roster management.  Parents will still care about this sort of thing, and parents have a ton of input into where their kids go.

If a person in year 3 or 4 isn't pulling their weight, and is schollie number 86, there are more "friendly" ways to get them off of the roster.  Schools have been doing it for a long time!

It sounds like you have a view that I have no relational sense or business sense.  Where do you read me saying this?

Letting go of people and going other directions happens every where in society.  Prior, that did not happen when giving a four year scholarship.  It all needs to change now.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

It sounds like you have a view that I have no relational sense or business sense.  Where do you read me saying this?

Letting go of people and going other directions happens every where in society.  Prior, that did not happen when giving a four year scholarship.  It all needs to change now.

How would cutting Hickman (your example) benefit the team right now?  Assuming they are at the 85 scholarship limit?