Anonymous Coaches

On 8/6/2022 at 2:18 PM, Lorewarn said:

You're kind of right but missing some pretty big context.

Osborne did mostly stand still for his first 7-8 years, but he stood still at being a top ten program, major bowls, and conference championships. His big hump of staying still was beating Oklahoma, which he finally did in year 6. After that, he started turning 9-10 win seasons into 11-12 win seasons for a while, then regressed back a bit (still to being a top ten team winning championships), then he finished with the best run in history. 

So if you're trying to make a point in regards to equating the two, it's a stupid point.

I think you meant to respond to me. The point is he didn't win any, and after year seven we were as close or further away from that goal than we were in year one.

Well said.  I concur

On 8/6/2022 at 3:37 PM, RedDenver said:

Really? I'd have put money on Bo having 4 losses and getting blown out at least once or twice - definitely wouldn't have "owned" any schedule. Look, Bo was good at the football part of coaching and wasn't getting better and maybe was getting worse. But he was poor to awful at almost every other part of the job and also embarrassed himself and the university with his antics. Riley was certainly a terrible hire, but that doesn't make Bo somehow better than he was.

I have to agree.  The 9 win thing was an Osborne thing playing 11 games.  If Bo needed 13 & 14 games to reach that mark, it doesn't exactly make it the same.  And I like Bo.

I also like Riley, but that was never a good idea to hire him beyond his prime (winning years).  Sad part is, Mike Riley took the blame for the 3 years he coached, plus 3 years under Frost.  And all he ever did was accept a million dollar offer from Nebraska to be the coach.  I hope Husker fans eventually stop blaming him for his few years as HC.  We all would have taken the job.  And IMO, it did not set Frost back 3+ years.  We are going into year 5 with Frost on the hot seat.  Easy schedule, make it or break it year to keep coaching.  Nothing to do with Riley or Bo.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of past D Coordinators... Diaco, Mark Banker, Cosgrove, Bohl...

Was a bit worried with Chins defense during his first year, but as time goes by, we really need to appreciate him a bit more as a Husker.  Players respect him, and he tells it to you strait in pressers.

Sidenote:

I think he would make a fine Head Football Coach, if he wanted.  There is always a Memphis, Houston, Fresno team that would benefit with him as HC.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, admo said:

Was a bit worried with Chins defense during his first year, but as time goes by, we really need to appreciate him a bit more as a Husker.  Players respect him, and he tells it to you strait in pressers.

Sidenote:

I think he would make a fine Head Football Coach, if he wanted.  There is always a Memphis, Houston, Fresno team that would benefit with him as HC.

I don't think he is quite there yet to be a head coach but he is on his way. Can you only imagine who would be the defense coordinator if Chin were to leave??

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, admo said:

Was a bit worried with Chins defense during his first year, but as time goes by, we really need to appreciate him a bit more as a Husker. 

The last couple years, we've basically been a decent pass rush away from being pretty salty on defense. With the addition of Mathis and with Nelson and Tannor continuing to develop, I'm cautiously optimistic about the defense being able to reach the next level this year.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, Toe said:

The last couple years, we've basically been a decent pass rush away from being pretty salty on defense. With the addition of Mathis and with Nelson and Tannor continuing to develop, I'm cautiously optimistic about the defense being reaching the next level this year.

Same here Toe

Chin's defenses have been very good at times but also, very bad at times too. At least in year 1 & 2. That said, it can easily be blamed on lack of depth and the defense just getting worn down as the seasons progressed. (Lack of depth "can" be blamed on Riley and Riley alone btw) Last year Chin's showed how a team with better depth can perform (Fewer break downs, improved ypc given up, better scoring defense, etc..). I do think Frost has allowed Chin's to both run with his scheme unimpeded while also emphasizing the importance of S&C. As I've said many times, I'm a novice fan, played HS ball and watched a lot of football. The best things in life "are" worth waiting for and I begin the wait starts to payoff this season. Time for the Huskers to begin the task of Re-Branding their image and I believe it started this off season.

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't think he is quite there yet to be a head coach but he is on his way. Can you only imagine who would be the defense coordinator if Chin were to leave??

I can't even imagine, and don't want to.  It would be a bit shocking.

Having said that, I am beginning to believe outside experienced coaches can be of great help (DC in this case) with the right amount of job recruiting, ideal candidate and interviewing.  See Whipple, Applewhite, Mickey Jo for example.  

2 hours ago, admo said:

I can't even imagine, and don't want to.  It would be a bit shocking.

Having said that, I am beginning to believe outside experienced coaches can be of great help (DC in this case) with the right amount of job recruiting, ideal candidate and interviewing.  See Whipple, Applewhite, Mickey Jo for example.  

I sort of wonder if this is TF's last stop.  He is not old but he is (or might be) rich...

Coaching, especially the moving around part, has to get old.

He might coach here at NU as long as he can and then just "retire" or go coach some HS ball back home.  He already left his alma mater.

Sort of like Ruud, he will never coach anywhere else. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I sort of wonder if this is TF's last stop.  He is not old but he is (or might be) rich...

Coaching, especially the moving around part, has to get old.

He might coach here at NU as long as he can and then just "retire" or go coach some HS ball back home.  He already left his alma mater.

Sort of like Ruud, he will never coach anywhere else. 

Could be, and I can see that happening (including Ruud).

But, if things don't go well this year and next... I can see HCSF at Arizona State (and completely turning it around, being 11 win team, and learning from previous mistakes at Neb lol)