Anonymous Coaches

I am not dwelling on this but Bo was successful and had Neb going in the right direction. I was at the Holiday Bowl when he proclaimed that…and at that moment, Nebraska was on a roll. The media and boosters didn’t like the “look” of his antics and anti-media, thus, Nebraska got what it ask for. No more Bo, no more wins…. Funny thing is that to a man, his players loved him and would run through a wall for him. Culture is on the inside, not necessarily for public viewing.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, HANC said:

I am not dwelling on this but Bo was successful and had Neb going in the right direction.

There's not much 'direction' involved in being as far away from competing for championships in year seven as you were in year one. That's much better than where we're at now, but it's also standing still.

1 hour ago, HANC said:

Funny thing is that to a man, his players loved him and would run through a wall for him. Culture is on the inside, not necessarily for public viewing.

This really doesn't matter at all. Bill Callahan's players loved him too - Zac Taylor put an op ed in the paper defending him. Scott Frost's players love him too. It's exceedingly rare that a coach's players don't love him and wouldn't run through a wall for them.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
16 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

There's not much 'direction' involved in being as far away from competing for championships in year seven as you were in year one. That's much better than where we're at now, but it's also standing still.

This really doesn't matter at all. Bill Callahan's players loved him too - Zac Taylor put an op ed in the paper defending him. Scott Frost's players love him too. It's exceedingly rare that a coach's players don't love him and wouldn't run through a wall for them.

Based on your criteria, Tom Osborne stood still too.

But hey, it's an internet message board.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, HANC said:

I am not dwelling on this but Bo was successful and had Neb going in the right direction. I was at the Holiday Bowl when he proclaimed that…and at that moment, Nebraska was on a roll. The media and boosters didn’t like the “look” of his antics and anti-media, thus, Nebraska got what it ask for. No more Bo, no more wins…. Funny thing is that to a man, his players loved him and would run through a wall for him. Culture is on the inside, not necessarily for public viewing.

Ummm... hate to break it to you but Bo routinely competed for championships and should have had at least two B12 champs.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Ummm... hate to break it to you but Bo routinely competed for championships and should have had at least two B12 champs.

What are you “breaking to me”? My post literally supported Bo and his success????

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

16 hours ago, HANC said:

The media and boosters didn’t like the “look” of his antics

Along with a fairly large portion of the fan base.

Bo had fewer people on his side at the end than against him. And people really, really wanted him to succeed.

He was his own worst enemy.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, TheSker said:

Based on your criteria, Tom Osborne stood still too.

You're kind of right but missing some pretty big context.

Osborne did mostly stand still for his first 7-8 years, but he stood still at being a top ten program, major bowls, and conference championships. His big hump of staying still was beating Oklahoma, which he finally did in year 6. After that, he started turning 9-10 win seasons into 11-12 win seasons for a while, then regressed back a bit (still to being a top ten team winning championships), then he finished with the best run in history. 

So if you're trying to make a point in regards to equating the two, it's a stupid point.

14 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I think you meant to respond to me. The point is he didn't win any, and after year seven we were as close or further away from that goal than we were in year one.

Sadly, had Bo not been fired and replaced with Riley I think the Huskers would have been in the B1G championship game. I think the administration assumed that too and was partially the reason for the rushed hire of Riley. The administration didn't really care who replaced Bo as long as Bo was removed. The schedule that year was one Bo & Staff would have owned. (Go Back and look at it.) Riley came in, asked Tommy to learn a new offense, play a type of game he wasn't recruited to play and screwed up a relatively loaded defense. Had Bo not been fired, Tommy and company would have had a 10 win or higher season. Can one justify the firing of Bo, yes of course but.. you can't justify it by his winning percentage. 

• Plus1 3
41 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Sadly, had Bo not been fired and replaced with Riley I think the Huskers would have been in the B1G championship game. I think the administration assumed that too and was partially the reason for the rushed hire of Riley. The administration didn't really care who replaced Bo as long as Bo was removed. The schedule that year was one Bo & Staff would have owned. (Go Back and look at it.) 

Really? I'd have put money on Bo having 4 losses and getting blown out at least once or twice - definitely wouldn't have "owned" any schedule. Look, Bo was good at the football part of coaching and wasn't getting better and maybe was getting worse. But he was poor to awful at almost every other part of the job and also embarrassed himself and the university with his antics. Riley was certainly a terrible hire, but that doesn't make Bo somehow better than he was.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Bo had fewer people on his side at the end than against him.

I recall an online survey thing on LJS at the time Bo was fired. It was split pretty much 50/50.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, HANC said:

As a general statement, Pelini had the support of the boosters to the end.

Harvey Perlman had to go to great lengths and behind backs to get rid of Pelini.

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, HANC said:

To me the so call wins that he produced weren't fulling enough to keep him around. The big stage games that were nationally watched we got destroyed in for the most part and on top of that most of the time you saw Bo go crazy over Taylor making a mistake or a ref. We could never beat the so called good teams to get over the hump and yes his players loved him so much they even recorded and leaked how he felt about the AD at the time. He's never been successful since then as a head coach or even a defensive coach. Even if Scott Frost doesn't win this season and gets fired I still would say that teaching his players is better then berating them no matter what. Saying from what i know and seen Scott doesn't do that to any of his players when they make a costly mistake. 

I don’t think people truly appreciate the challenge of building an elite program in the middle of the country. The pure numbers game of elite talent in your easily recruitable radius alone is a major challenge.   Pelini has been our best coach post TO. I hope Frost turns it around this year. Getting on the right trajectory is going to be so important. 

• Plus1 1