Did the team scrimmage today?

nems

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think whip has been around long enough to be the coordinator that takes what the defense gives him.  If you are running the ball well he'll keep running.  But if he passes it will be of play action.  But if we have the guys to throw it and you can't cover we will be throwing it

That’s the hope anyway.   But if he finds we can’t pass protect and cant run well (like the last 4 yrs), what does he do?  Retire early?  

I haven’t  gone back to dig up his historical stats but has he ever had a 10 win team that’s really a run the ball team?   If teams no longer fear our pass cause we can’t pass block, they’ll control rush and tackle the RB.  He then changes QBs and runs more two backs, option, power I and play action, with 2 WRs and more blocking in the Los. 

That’s not the Frosty Whip but it might work,  but only if they have some of this built in to the O already.  Guys cant learn it in a couple practices imo.  

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Keeping hearing about how loaded we are at runningback and how great the offensive line is run blocking. 

Whip doesn't strike me as a run-first coordinator.  Wonder how much he'll actually lean on the running game.

Read somewhere when Whip was first announced that he goes with what he has. He identifies the Dudes on O and tries tp get them the ball.  RB, WR, TE....Just get it to the guy(s) who can do the most with it.

To the issues if OL can't block, some of the QB's stated he wants them to get the ball out faster.  With Whips background and our OL film, I think he will start with 1-2 reads and then hit the check down back.  I don't think he will (until we prove we can) have the receivers running "longer" routes or having the QB go through multiple reads.  Joseph will have the receivers running better routes and Whip will have the QB's dialed into read and rip.  At least that's my hope from reading in the off season.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

True but offensive minds tend to make a simple call play harder then what needs to be. By over thinking!!!!!!

Ok, but I think what @BigRedBuster is reminding us, is that the situation is important to consider.  

3rd and short (whatever that is... 2-3 yards or less?) on your own 35 is different than on the opponent's 35. 

If you are at your opponent's 35, you can take a shot downfield or throw a perfectly good 5 yard rub route in that situation.  Convert or not, Chances are, you are most likely calling 2 plays to pick up those 2 yards.  

Same situation, (opponents 35) if you run on 3rd and short (2 - 3 yards) and lose a yard on a running play, you are still going for it on 4th (most likely) but will call a passing play.  

And also, the formation can spread the defense out, or you will see 8 guys in a tight box to defend the run on 3rd and short, and then 4th and short.  Giving them advantage.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Run is not always the best play for that. 

Maybe not with Wandale in backfield, but Yant?  I'll roll the dice on that any day.  My only caveat is to my eye, our TE's have been absolute liabilities in those situations getting beat inside more than 50% of the time and allowing the edge defender to penetrate and get behind the LOS. If it were me, I'd consider going three WR out wide to pull defenders out of box, and if they still stack inside, then give Thompson green light to audible to the pass. Another option out of that formation is start the Slot WR outside and put them in motion to crackback block on the edge defender so he can't slice in and catch our RB from behind. Even if that WR only does that decently well, just by having extra WR on field, you've forced opposing defense to go to Nickel personnel which mean one fewer big body to slow down Yant.

4 hours ago, Cdn Blackshirt Two said:

Maybe not with Wandale in backfield, but Yant?  I'll roll the dice on that any day.  My only caveat is to my eye, our TE's have been absolute liabilities in those situations getting beat inside more than 50% of the time and allowing the edge defender to penetrate and get behind the LOS. If it were me, I'd consider going three WR out wide to pull defenders out of box, and if they still stack inside, then give Thompson green light to audible to the pass. Another option out of that formation is start the Slot WR outside and put them in motion to crackback block on the edge defender so he can't slice in and catch our RB from behind. Even if that WR only does that decently well, just by having extra WR on field, you've forced opposing defense to go to Nickel personnel which mean one fewer big body to slow down Yant.

Yant has issues avoiding being tackled by the turf.

The best thing you can say from that scrimmage is that unless/until Ohio State makes the BigTen title game there's not a team on our schedule with better pass rushers than us. So these offensive linemen will have plenty of practice against players better than they will see on Saturdays.

I am also a little confused. I am hearing all about how good the running backs did but also that the dline was fantastic against the run. Those seem to contradict each other.