Did the team scrimmage today?

nems

Troubling to me is the lack of improvement in the WRs room.  My goodness.  After so much roster churn and highly rated recruiting ‘success’ and MJ in the room, what’s going on?   Supposedly a QB room full of strong arms that make all the throws, the passing game continues to be lackluster / mediocre.    A scrimmage and the defense gets Pick 6s and the RBs look impressive and tough but not a mention of receiving.  

I believe our defense will be pretty good but downright stiflingly?   They know the plays and have advantages.  The staff is hiding things too.  
I have been hopeful a better organized offense (entire team frankly) is forthcoming.  A couple scrimmages may be inadequate to get the team running efficiently.  Game 1 could be ugly.  ??? 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Troubling to me is the lack of improvement in the WRs room.  My goodness.  After so much roster churn and highly rated recruiting ‘success’ and MJ in the room, what’s going on?   Supposedly a QB room full of strong arms that make all the throws, the passing game continues to be lackluster / mediocre.    A scrimmage and the defense gets Pick 6s and the RBs look impressive and tough but not a mention of receiving.  

I believe our defense will be pretty good but downright stiflingly?   They know the plays and have advantages.  The staff is hiding things too.  
I have been hopeful a better organized offense (entire team frankly) is forthcoming.  A couple scrimmages may be inadequate to get the team running efficiently.  Game 1 could be ugly.  ??? 

pretty sure a couple people said Trey Palmer made quite a few really good plays during the scrimmage.  

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

You’re pretty worked up over the first scrimmage of fall camp and one that you didn’t watch. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

Amusing that regardless of what happens, people will always complain. If RB do great, the DL must suck. If DB do great, WR must suck…etc.  Joseph has mentioned he wants guys to step up, so yes, he isn’t satisfied, but he is also holding a very high standard (LSU guys), which is what we need.  As mentioned, players have publicly touted some of the WR. It is hard to buy the hype because if the recent results, but pretty unfair to draw negative conclusions after 1 scrimmage.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You’re pretty worked up over the first scrimmage of fall camp and one that you didn’t watch. 

Not worked up at all.  Disappointed maybe.  The position groups doing well tend to get the positive recognition by coaches and teammates alike.  I’ve seen almost nothing about the WRs beyond the recruiting hype and the pre-camp assumption that the receiving corp is a strength and loaded.  

Our season rests squarely on our passing based offense becoming great instead of average as has been the case for a decade.  Those of us (there are many btw) who prefer a run based offense, are impatiently waiting for the offensive juggernaut to show up.   We’ve seen quite a few passing yards but not many points scored.  

I’m hoping that in about 17 days, the new and improved Frosty Whip fun n gun shines brighter than the North Star.  I am expecting our Blackshirts to be VERY good (great is possible) so our offense may struggle vs our defense.  But, we are not hearing much about the offense (except good news on the RBs).  There are many unknowns, mostly on the offense, imo.  STs issues have been, imo, mostly a lack of focus and lack of coaching attentiveness. That sounds fixed. I’m not worried, but maybe I should be, I suppose.  

I view 2022 fb season as a watershed one - the most important in decades perhaps, relative to the future of the program.  I want it to be VERY successful.  DONU eschewed the running game in favor of ‘air Nebraska’ 20 years ago.  I’ve given up hope the dominating run game is left to collect dust in the championship trophy cases and my memories of back in the day.  

Therefore, yes, I want some good news to give me hope!  Disappointed, yes. Angry - not anymore. 

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not worked up at all.  Disappointed maybe.  The position groups doing well tend to get the positive recognition by coaches and teammates alike.  I’ve seen almost nothing about the WRs beyond the recruiting hype and the pre-camp assumption that the receiving corp is a strength and loaded.  

Our season rests squarely on our passing based offense becoming great instead of average as has been the case for a decade.  Those of us (there are many btw) who prefer a run based offense, are impatiently waiting for the offensive juggernaut to show up.   We’ve seen quite a few passing yards but not many points scored.  

I’m hoping that in about 17 days, the new and improved Frosty Whip fun n gun shines brighter than the North Star.  I am expecting our Blackshirts to be VERY good (great is possible) so our offense may struggle vs our defense.  But, we are not hearing much about the offense (except good news on the RBs).  There are many unknowns, mostly on the offense, imo.  STs issues have been, imo, mostly a lack of focus and lack of coaching attentiveness. That sounds fixed. I’m not worried, but maybe I should be, I suppose.  

I view 2022 fb season as a watershed one - the most important in decades perhaps, relative to the future of the program.  I want it to be VERY successful.  DONU eschewed the running game in favor of ‘air Nebraska’ 20 years ago.  I’ve given up hope the dominating run game is left to collect dust in the championship trophy cases and my memories of back in the day.  

Therefore, yes, I want some good news to give me hope!  Disappointed, yes. Angry - not anymore. 

Coaches comments are a coaching tool to use to motivate players, deceive opposing teams, and to occasionally inform fan bases of something that might cause us to buy a ticket.  People stressing about how good or bad anything is based on a no media scrimmage need to relax.  We might be great or we might stink but we won't know either until the 27th.  

• Plus1 3
45 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Dude you didn't get to watch it.   That is an incredibly in depth opinion for something based on what coaches say after and tictok videos from the scrimmage.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Coaches comments are a coaching tool to use to motivate players, deceive opposing teams, and to occasionally inform fan bases of something that might cause us to buy a ticket.  People stressing about how good or bad anything is based on a no media scrimmage need to relax.  We might be great or we might stink but we won't know either until the 27th.  

In seminary, 98 - 100 was an A, 94-97 was an A-, 90-93 was a B+ and 85 - 89 was a B.  84 and below was an F.

Those were your grades.  For me, I think the coachspeak would better serve the team would be that at best at least stating a C or a C+ for the best, maybe a B- here or there.  The "really good", "he's a great player" and "major improvement" phrases need to go away ... or Scott will go away.

17 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Thats fine. Husker fans don't care about preseason rankings. They care about when the time matters do they do the necessary things right to win. Let people doubt Nebraska that will make the winning and coming out of nowhere all the more special!!!!

Agree for the most part, I'm just stating we're going into the season with the lowest external hype and will, in my estimation, have our best team in Frost's tenure...which is the important part.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Agree for the most part, I'm just stating we're going into the season with the lowest external hype and will, in my estimation, have our best team in Frost's tenure...which is the important part.

Its only bc people have given Nebraska so much hype into winning or should be a top level division team. Critics (Writer's, Media members) don't know what to think of Nebraska only the fact that they went 3-9 last year. What SF did by bringing in all new offense staff and with the recruiting i can't say I've seen before so there is a lot of unknown but it definitely is positive. That's why i think being so far down in preseason polls is good bc a lot of teams don't know either what your going to do on the field so let people think that this team is the same old team from last year good luck to that!!!!

2 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Dude you didn't get to watch it.   That is an incredibly in depth opinion for something based on what coaches say after and tictok videos from the scrimmage.  

It helps to read a lot and have spent 50 years watching, listening and so on.  I am doing some interpreting and guesswork admittedly.  But, quite often, coaches cite the highlights at this point.  In the context of recent years’ results, it feels about right.  Agree or not, that’s my reaction.  MJ may be trying to motivate his room with plenty of less than complementary remarks.  That’s his approach and I hope you’re right if you see the other way.  I don’t know but I generally find - no news is rarely a good thing.  It’s only the first scrimmage, apparently since the spring scrimmage before the red/white practice. (That doesn't qualify as even a real scrimmage imo).  With only a couple more before Dublin game, these ‘reports’ are all we have.  

Maybe ‘shock and awe’ are coming 8-27, in a good way.  I’m still bullish that a better Big Red experience is upcoming.  GBR.