2023 Season Notes

15 hours ago, Loebarth said:

We need a gap closer at second more that a run producer, yes? I mean, the DH is either an on base guy or dinger guy.. so, tightening up the infield, more important that bat potential. Am I wrong?

I think you make a very good point.  So who is or best defensive 2nd base guy?   Hughes?  Cerventes?  Brumbaugh? Mozley?  Carey?    I have no idea.    

@flatwaterfan Honestly, I think Bolt is going to put power at the plate so my guess is Hughes/Mozley (bats left so might be a first baseman with power, however they need to close the gap between 2nd & 1st so a southpaw 1st baseman would be preferred I'm sure). If defense is needed/wanted ... well then, it's hard to argue against Cerventes especially with his 6'1" frame. Dude can flat out get in the air and has flashed that glove more than once. Think Bolt is in a really good position with the Inf.. has power/speed/defense so like you I'd say "who knows". Personally, I want to see Mozley and Hughes battle it out with the late innings (7-9) given to Cerventes. Neither Hughes or Mozley have the height which a lot of managers want in their SS so there's that. 

• Fire 1

On 1/13/2023 at 6:05 PM, flatwaterfan said:

Looks like Husker.com updated the roster.    Dayvin Johnson moved on and I am guessing Guthmiller is dropping baseball to concentrate on his studies.    

Covid rules allow for a roster of 40 and they non-count players with the covid year so that's an extra 3 I think.

That would leave 1 extra.   It could be an injury waiver but I am guessing there are walkons that will redshirt this year and they don't count against the 40.

https://huskers.com/sports/baseball/roster

Just glancing at their profile pics, it appears several players woke up with bed-hair and took a pic :lol::lol:

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

Husker baseball twitter describing Max as a 2nd basemen could indicate one possible lineup with Carey at 3rd,  Fischer at 1st and Caron DH.   It then could be tweaked for defense in later innings as needed.   Hmmm.  Yes or no?   Another question could Max provide defense at a level above Cam Chick, below or same?

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, are people thinking we are going to have a good enough team this year to make a run at getting to the college World Series?

What will be our weak link?  Hitting? Defense? Pitching?

I think it's a lot to ask to make a legitimate run at the CWS.  I think the goal is to get to the NCAA Tournament and go from there.  Big Ten teams rarely make the CWS.  It's just too much of a talent gap to teams in the South.

• Plus1 1