Big Ten Media

Just now, Saunders said:

Honestly, as someone who used to watch Gameday religously... it's just not the same. I'll still watch it that first weekend, and also flip it on first thing on saturdays because the opening gets me in the mood for the day, but after that.... IDK.

I've been watching the Fox show more, because they actually cover more stuff. Also, while the BTN show isn't as "high quality" at least they talk about all the matchups. Gameday is 3 hours long, but only about 30 minutes of it is actually useful. Outside of the picks at the end of the show, the rest of it is all fluff pieces or focused on like 6 teams and the playoff.

Funny you say that, when Gameday first started I think it was just a 30 minute lead in show...then it went to an hour and I remember thinking that was just not long enough.  Now, at 3 hours, it just seems crazy long.

Now, back in the day when NU was a huge focus of the show it was much more fun to watch.

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Funny you say that, when Gameday first started I think it was just a 30 minute lead in show...then it went to an hour and I remember thinking that was just not long enough.  Now, at 3 hours, it just seems crazy long.

Now, back in the day when NU was a huge focus of the show it was much more fun to watch.

I know we suck right now, and aren't gonna get a lot of attention. But I actually enjoy watching other games too, and seeing all the info on the matchups. But ever since the playoff started, ESPN has been so hyper focused on the playoff and "who's in" that it's ruining their product. Like, who the hell cares about "who's in" after Labor day weekend?

19 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Honestly, as someone who used to watch Gameday religously... it's just not the same. I'll still watch it that first weekend, and also flip it on first thing on saturdays because the opening gets me in the mood for the day, but after that.... IDK.

I've been watching the Fox show more, because they actually cover more stuff. Also, while the BTN show isn't as "high quality" at least they talk about all the matchups. Gameday is 3 hours long, but only about 30 minutes of it is actually useful. Outside of the picks at the end of the show, the rest of it is all fluff pieces or focused on like 6 teams and the playoff.

The Fox CFB show is terrific.  Reggie/Leinert plus either Bob or *puke* Urban is an incredible panel.  I loathe Urbs but he's awesome on TV.  Gameday to me has taken a step back as Corso has declined plus I just don't really care for Desmond or Pollack.

9 hours ago, teachercd said:

USA After Dark??  

Bikini Car Was II?  Hmmmm

Big Ten *up* All Night!  Hey, what's Rhonda Shear up to nowadays!

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

The Fox CFB show is terrific.  Reggie/Leinert plus either Bob or *puke* Urban is an incredible panel.  I loathe Urbs but he's awesome on TV.  Gameday to me has taken a step back as Corso has declined plus I just don't really care for Desmond or Pollack.

Big Ten *up* All Night!  Hey, what's Rhonda Shear up to nowadays!

Yea Desmond is a douche.  And the show will never be the same as it was with prime Lee Corso and people hold on to that so they keep bringing him on but he's just too far gone at this point.  Although him saying "f#&% it" on live tv was hilarious.  For as much crap as he's gotten around here I really don't mind Herbstreit they just need to find some better guys to surround him with. 

• Plus1 2

Aside from the money for teams/ conferences does anybody really pay any attention to what Network they are watching?

I didn’t think that was how people ‘watched TV’ anymore w everything being streamed.

I haven’t know what network I’m watching in years. Don’t care. It’s the show/ game, not the network.

Are some of you gonna have to adjust your rabbit ears to get the games now?

1 hour ago, Farms said:

Yea Desmond is a douche.  And the show will never be the same as it was with prime Lee Corso and people hold on to that so they keep bringing him on but he's just too far gone at this point.  Although him saying "f#&% it" on live tv was hilarious.  For as much crap as he's gotten around here I really don't mind Herbstreit they just need to find some better guys to surround him with. 

Agreed, Herbstreit is a dynamic talent.  He and Fowler is a pretty top notch pairing calling games.

• Plus1 1

The biggest thing of not having ESPN televise Big Ten games is the potential of ESPN doing less talking and overall coverage of Big Ten teams, so the Big Ten teams may have less overall awareness in the college football scene.

However, if the college football playoff expands to a greater number of teams and brings in another TV partner (like FOX), that puts FOX on more even ground with ESPN.  This is what Kevin Warren is counting on.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The biggest thing of not having ESPN televise Big Ten games is the potential of ESPN doing less talking and overall coverage of Big Ten teams, so the Big Ten teams may have less overall awareness in the college football scene.

However, if the college football playoff expands to a greater number of teams and brings in another TV partner (like FOX), that puts FOX on more even ground with ESPN.  This is what Kevin Warren is counting on.

As long as there are relevant B1G teams, ESPN has no choice but to discuss them.  

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree, but the pre-disposition of discussing SEC teams and ranking the SEC teams high to begin the season creates an artificial bump to the SEC teams which other conferences don't get.

Maybe that was part of the deal. ESPN couldn't hump the SEC's leg any more, or at least hump the BIG's equally and they couldn't agree to that. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Maybe that was part of the deal. ESPN couldn't hump the SEC's leg any more, or at least hump the BIG's equally and they couldn't agree to that. 

The deal was ESPN wasn't willing to pony up the cash that CBS and NBC were willing to.  That's the reason the ESPN relationship ended.

• Plus1 1