Big Ten Media

20 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

So is Kevin Warren still an idiot? 

As hard as it was back then for some people to hear he never was.  Who would have thought the B1G would be signing as big of a television contract as they just have.  The largest by far in B1G history.  The kind of positioning this gives the Big now and for the future and the statement it makes.  The USC/UCLA acquisition.  All on his watch.  Give the man his flowers.  He deserves it.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

As hard as it was back then for some people to hear he never was.  Who would have thought the B1G would be signing as big of a television contract as they just have.  This is definitely big time.  The kind of positioning this gives the Big now and for the future and the statement it makes.  The USC/UCLA acquisition.  All on his watch.  Give the man his flowers.  He deserves it.

You must have memory loss from Covid.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, ECisGod said:

I'm a little disappointed that there will be 47 basketball games/year on Peacock.  B1G hoops is the best college hoops in the nation and they will have a couple of games/week that end up on a pay service & unless The Huskers start playing much better they will be on there a couple times a year.

I'm not thrilled about any games going to streaming services since it locks out those of us without high speed internet access.

• Plus1 2

Do we know how the football games will be split between Fox, CBS and NBC and what times they will be? I assume Fox will keep the Big Noon kickoff. 

And CBS usually has a primetime game for the SEC....will the BIG have any prime time games?

Nevermind...I found this link with good info 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/08/18/big-ten-announces-new-media-tv-rights-deal-kevin-warren

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I'm not thrilled about any games going to streaming services since it locks out those of us without high speed internet access.

Not being a smartass, legitimately curious. Where are you that you can’t get high speed internet? I guess I thought that was available everywhere now.

I could easily give up my cable TV but packaged with my internet the TV portion doesn’t cost that much. But that gig speed internet only is a bit pricier and we couldn’t function without it. Often we’ll have 3 streaming and 2 or 3 surfing simultaneously.

15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Not being a smartass, legitimately curious. Where are you that you can’t get high speed internet? I guess I thought that was available everywhere now.

I could easily give up my cable TV but packaged with my internet the TV portion doesn’t cost that much. But that gig speed internet only is a bit pricier and we couldn’t function without it. Often we’ll have 3 streaming and 2 or 3 surfing simultaneously.

He can’t answer your question because his dial-up modem keeps cutting out from calls coming into his land-line. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
31 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

3 miles outside a city of about 100k in the desert southwest. We don't have cable or fiber (satellite for TV only) so it is Century Link DSL (massively overloaded), T-Mobile home internet or rooftop microwave receiver.

Actually I can get good speeds during the day up to about  20 Mbps or so. But things go down hill in the evening with speeds of 3-8 Mbps so streaming anything but 480i can lead to buffering issues. And the evening is about the only time I watch TV.

I tried T-Moble Home Internet but it was almost identical to what I currently have but a little more expensive. Verizon 4G speeds are good here but they don't offer Home Internet in this area. Starlink is over capacity in the area so they are out until at least 2023 at best and even then $700+ up front and $119/mo. for 50-100 Mbps doesn't seen like a very good value. Xfinity is suppose to be bringing fiber out here but I first heard about that last year and nothing has been done so I'm not holding my breath. They would have to cross BLM land which can take years to approved.

Actually there are still 10's of millions of people in this country without high speed access. There is supposedly money in the recently passed IRA for high speed but actually getting it built out is another matter. It seems like money flows into the ISP's never to be seen again and with very little infrastructure actually installed. My guess is Xfinity will halt any plans they have while they get in line for some free gov't. money. This is all parallels the roll out of electricity in the early 1900's. Most people were hooked up in a timely manner but it was several decades before everybody finally was hooked up.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

3 miles outside a city of about 100k in the desert southwest. We don't have cable or fiber (satellite for TV only) so it is Century Link DSL (massively overloaded), T-Mobile home internet or rooftop microwave receiver.

Actually I can get good speeds during the day up to about  20 Mbps or so. But things go down hill in the evening with speeds of 3-8 Mbps so streaming anything but 480i can lead to buffering issues. And the evening is about the only time I watch TV.

I tried T-Moble Home Internet but it was almost identical to what I currently have but a little more expensive. Verizon 4G speeds are good here but they don't offer Home Internet in this area. Starlink is over capacity in the area so they are out until at least 2023 at best and even then $700+ up front and $119/mo. for 50-100 Mbps doesn't seen like a very good value. Xfinity is suppose to be bringing fiber out here but I first heard about that last year and nothing has been done so I'm not holding my breath. They would have to cross BLM land which can take years to approved.

Actually there are still 10's of millions of people in this country without high speed access. There is supposedly money in the recently passed IRA for high speed but actually getting it built out is another matter. It seems like money flows into the ISP's never to be seen again and with very little infrastructure actually installed. My guess is Xfinity will halt any plans they have while they get in line for some free gov't. money. This is all parallels the roll out of electricity in the early 1900's. Most people were hooked up in a timely manner but it was several decades before everybody finally was hooked up.

Thanks for the explanation. I’d just never really thought about it outside my situation. I suppose there are tons of rural areas where internet speeds or access are challenging.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Thanks for the explanation. I’d just never really thought about it outside my situation. I suppose there are tons of rural areas where internet speeds or access are challenging.

According to the FCC, 96.3% of people in Nebraska have access to high speed internet (defined as 25mbps down/3mbps up). and 100% of americans have access if you include satellite, 92.7% if you only qualify hard wired services.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, Mavric said:

I guess the question is are those games that weren't getting on TV before.  The Huskers had six games on BTN+ last year (counting exhibition games) so if it's a lot of those games going to Peacock, it's not really that much of a difference.  I'm sure there will be some of the bigger games but that 47 number might make it sound like more of a difference than it really is.

They must have all been home games because I don't remember watching any w/ BTN+.  I am a season ticket holder, so I am at all the home games.  I can foresee a game at Northwestern or one of the other bad teams being streamed.

5 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

They must have all been home games because I don't remember watching any w/ BTN+.  I am a season ticket holder, so I am at all the home games.  I can foresee a game at Northwestern or one of the other bad teams being streamed.

Western Illinois, Sam Houston, Idaho St, and South Dakota. Plus the two exhibition games. But yeah, all home games. 

• Plus1 1

I listened to a sports media podcast this morning about the Big Ten media deal.  The guest on the show made a comment that the Big Ten placed a lot of value on network, over-the-air TV.  I know there will be a lot of games on FS1 and Big Ten Network (with a few on Peacock), but there could be 3 games on networks which can be watched with an antennae.  The guest also mentioned that Amazon offered more $ than CBS or NBC, to show games on their Prime streaming service.  I am sure more streaming is where TV rights are headed down the road, but it didn't happen this round.