Big Ten Media

Maybe it’s my Neb bias… but if these schools are refusing to play night games in November, why do I suddenly get the feeling Neb is going to have to pick up the slack? As bad as we’ve been lately, we are still a TV draw. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Multiple sources told ESPN there's been pushback from a number of schools, including Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State, to play those late-November night games under the new contract. That leaves Petitti to figure out how to uphold a deal for hundreds of millions of dollars for primetime games without cooperation from some of the league's marquee teams for part of the regular season's most important month.

OSU, Michigan, and Penn St need to get over themselves about not playing at night in November.  You want a $100M/year from TV then stop acting like it is 1987.

The NFL has no problem scheduling November, December, or January night games in Green Bay, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston.  I think those 3 programs will be ok playing a night game in November.  I mean you sell your programs as a pathway of getting kids to the NFL, but then are afraid it could be cold.

I mean, I kind of get it. Its cold enough during the day, play at night, and there are chances its sub 30* with a windchill that can bring it below zero. Northern schools are risking their best players and chances of championships putting their teams out in that weather, in addition to lack of stats for in season accolades and "style points." Honestly, if the league is going to demand it, it should pay to have the game played in a dome. Move Iowa games to the UNI dome. Nebraska games to KC, other venues for other states. It should come out of the profits for all schools so the expense of doing so is divided evenly and the home team should be spotted three points for lack of the homefield advantage. :) - okay, maybe not the last line, but you get the drift. If the league demands it, then the league needs to make it work. 

15 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I mean, I kind of get it. Its cold enough during the day, play at night, and there are chances its sub 30* with a windchill that can bring it below zero. Northern schools are risking their best players and chances of championships putting their teams out in that weather, in addition to lack of stats for in season accolades and "style points." Honestly, if the league is going to demand it, it should pay to have the game played in a dome. Move Iowa games to the UNI dome. Nebraska games to KC, other venues for other states. It should come out of the profits for all schools so the expense of doing so is divided evenly and the home team should be spotted three points for lack of the homefield advantage. :) - okay, maybe not the last line, but you get the drift. If the league demands it, then the league needs to make it work. 

Or.. the players, staffs and administrations can just quit being wimps and play the darn games. The NFL has night games in below zero games, blizzards, freezing rain and every other weather condition. Players are much more likely to fall or become drastically ill from heat exhaustion and yet nobody is saying don't play those games.

My truth says this, if the fans are willing to be at the games and support then by George the players should be expected to as well. Cold weather is a part of football. Always has been, Always will be and to be honest, players have more fun and fonder memories of games played in severe weather. Let them play is what I say!! 

• TBH 2
39 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Or.. the players, staffs and administrations can just quit being wimps and play the darn games. The NFL has night games in below zero games, blizzards, freezing rain and every other weather condition. Players are much more likely to fall or become drastically ill from heat exhaustion and yet nobody is saying don't play those games.

My truth says this, if the fans are willing to be at the games and support then by George the players should be expected to as well. Cold weather is a part of football. Always has been, Always will be and to be honest, players have more fun and fonder memories of games played in severe weather. Let them play is what I say!! 

I would be perfectly happy if they would make all September games night games and all November games day games.

43 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

100% agree here.

I personally think that's all about recruiting.  Southern schools recruit against northern schools telling them they will be playing in extreme cold.  

Meanwhile, in Lincoln, maybe there's one game each year that is actually cold.

Meanwhile, that kid will stay down south where there's multiple games that are extremely hot.  Plus....constantly practicing in that heat.

• Plus1 3

The average high in Columbus, Ohio on November 25th is 50 degrees.  And they are scared to host a night game in November.

The OSU AD said if they had to play a home game in December for the Playoff he be in favor of moving it to the dome in Indianapolis.  He was correctly ridiculed by everyone and walked back that comment 6 months later.

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/columbus-rickenbacker-angb/ohio/united-states/usoh0216

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

The only pushback I can see is how the schools were left in the dark and not informed of impending schedule changes until after the negotiations were agreed to. Fans were pretty ticked with Eichorst who got canned days after he agreed to moving off Black Friday. Otherwise, the teams should play when decision makers want them to play, especially now that everyone is getting paid.

Curious whether the Chicago Bears end up becoming this dysfunctional during his leadership.

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

I've long thought that cold weather could be more of a selling point for recruits than it is; 9 out of the last 14 participants in the Super Bowl have been from colder winter climates, and Green Bay and Buffalo have both had deep playoff runs the last few years. 

• Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

@Mavric I'm not really sure how all that works and if we know for sure the total but a lot of people are saying we still netted billions on that deal. Why would be care about having to pay 40 mil back? 

Beyond giving up ~$5 million per school (when factoring in the other repayments), it is the fact that the commissioner of the league couldn't perform the basics of due diligence. This TV contract deal is arguably the core piece of the commissioner's job and he couldn't even take that across the finish line. The move also soured the Fox/Big Ten relationship which is being mended, but could take some time. Combined with his other poor performances (ie - handling Covid & 2020 season), there are plenty of examples of poor leadership. 

2 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

The only pushback I can see is how the schools were left in the dark and not informed of impending schedule changes until after the negotiations were agreed to. Fans were pretty ticked with Eichorst who got canned days after he agreed to moving off Black Friday. Otherwise, the teams should play when decision makers want them to play, especially now that everyone is getting paid.

Curious whether the Chicago Bears end up becoming this dysfunctional during his leadership.

One could argue that franchise has been dysfunctional for years :lol:

• Haha 1