Big Ten Media

• 3 months later...

16 hours ago, Red Five said:

NFL following the B1G’s lead and will have 1 playoff game exclusive to Peacock

This is like PPV all over again... Things are going backwards. We're going to look back on the last 15 years as the platinum era of televised college football. You could find any game, any time, anywhere for cheap.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • TBH 1

20 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I'm guessing it'll be free on Peacock so no big deal

NBC paid the NFL $110M to air that one game on Peacock.  I am guessing that it will not be free to the masses.

(NFL did announce it will be on over the air TV in the two local markets playing in the game)

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

NBC paid the NFL $110M to air that one game on Peacock.  I am guessing that it will not be free to the masses.

(NFL did announce it will be on over the air TV in the two local markets playing in the game)

Yep you're right, just did some more digging and you'll have to pay for the premium which is $4.99/month.

Still not at all a big deal to me. 

48 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Yep you're right, just did some more digging and you'll have to pay for the premium which is $4.99/month.

Still not at all a big deal to me. 

Here's what frustrates the hell out of all this.  All these sports leagues and the networks have a pretty sweet racket going on.  They know we want to watch the games.  So....they find just more and more ways to squeak more and more dollars out of us.  These conferences and sports leagues are swimming in money already.  It's absolutely ridiculous the amount of money Nebraska gets from the Big Ten media rights or how much the NFL makes off of their media rights.  It's insane.  But...they gotta keep digging more and more.  

Nebraska and the Big Ten were swimming in money before when you could find any game anywhere on TV with your basic package.  In the grand scheme of things, there is no reason to then go and start making fans buy even more subscriptions....even if it is just $5 per month.

But...I know...I know...it's a business and we gotta keep up with the joneses....bla bla bla.....

• Oh Yeah! 1
52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's what frustrates the hell out of all this.  All these sports leagues and the networks have a pretty sweet racket going on.  They know we want to watch the games.  So....they find just more and more ways to squeak more and more dollars out of us.  These conferences and sports leagues are swimming in money already.  It's absolutely ridiculous the amount of money Nebraska gets from the Big Ten media rights or how much the NFL makes off of their media rights.  It's insane.  But...they gotta keep digging more and more.  

Nebraska and the Big Ten were swimming in money before when you could find any game anywhere on TV with your basic package.  In the grand scheme of things, there is no reason to then go and start making fans buy even more subscriptions....even if it is just $5 per month.

But...I know...I know...it's a business and we gotta keep up with the joneses....bla bla bla.....

I hear you, but I disagree with the 'squeak more and more dollars out of us' bit. At least on a person by person basis, although maybe in the aggregate they are getting more from 'us'.

15 years ago the only options to make sure to get all the games were overly priced cable/satellite packages and also expensive pay-per-view tickets. These days, not counting illegal but wildly easy to access streaming routes, you can get every televised nebraska game in every sport for about $60/mo (Hulu or Sling + B1G+ + Peacock). There are plenty of problems with the market swinging the pendulum too far away from the bloat of what cable/satellite used to be but that's a hell of a deal compared to our options not that long ago.

41 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I hear you, but I disagree with the 'squeak more and more dollars out of us' bit. At least on a person by person basis, although maybe in the aggregate they are getting more from 'us'.

15 years ago the only options to make sure to get all the games were overly priced cable/satellite packages and also expensive pay-per-view tickets. These days, not counting illegal but wildly easy to access streaming routes, you can get every televised nebraska game in every sport for about $60/mo (Hulu or Sling + B1G+ + Peacock). There are plenty of problems with the market swinging the pendulum too far away from the bloat of what cable/satellite used to be but that's a hell of a deal compared to our options not that long ago.

Last year, I could get every Husker game with my basic YouTubeTV subscription for around $55 per month.  This year, that subscription went up to around $65 per month.  I'm sure at least a small part of that could be attributed to what it costs now to have the Big Ten Network.  Then, on top of that, I will need to have $5 per month for Peacock.

Yes...squeaking more money out of us.  But, I'm sure I'll pay it.  OR....go find a bar to watch the one or two games on Peacock.  

• TBH 2