Big Ten Media

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I've long thought that cold weather could be more of a selling point for recruits than it is; 9 out of the last 14 participants in the Super Bowl have been from colder winter climates, and Green Bay and Buffalo have both had deep playoff runs the last few years. 

It should be.  But, there are some southern kids that, coming out of HS, absolutely don't want to be in the cold.  Even though, the season really isn't in the cold.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Beyond giving up ~$5 million per school (when factoring in the other repayments), it is the fact that the commissioner of the league couldn't perform the basics of due diligence. This TV contract deal is arguably the core piece of the commissioner's job and he couldn't even take that across the finish line. The move also soured the Fox/Big Ten relationship which is being mended, but could take some time. Combined with his other poor performances (ie - handling Covid & 2020 season), there are plenty of examples of poor leadership. 

One could argue that franchise has been dysfunctional for years :lol:

Oh yeah I wasn't trying to overall defend Warren I know he not great. Just wondering if we still came out overwhelming positive on this deal plus get to watch on NBC which has really been the best in terms of broadcast fidelity although the others have caught up somewhat. 

11 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Oh yeah I wasn't trying to overall defend Warren I know he not great. Just wondering if we still came out overwhelming positive on this deal plus get to watch on NBC which has really been the best in terms of broadcast fidelity although the others have caught up somewhat. 

In short, yes the conference came out ahead. I think the schools are more pissed that they have to make these concessions after the announcement. The former commissioner pumping his resume and ego prematurely put them in a difficult spot of working out the details and finishing the deal. It is not the way Delaney handled the conference and presumably how the schools preferred to work.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Beyond giving up ~$5 million per school (when factoring in the other repayments), it is the fact that the commissioner of the league couldn't perform the basics of due diligence. This TV contract deal is arguably the core piece of the commissioner's job and he couldn't even take that across the finish line. The move also soured the Fox/Big Ten relationship which is being mended, but could take some time. Combined with his other poor performances (ie - handling Covid & 2020 season), there are plenty of examples of poor leadership. 

The biggest issue from the article is giving NBC a B1G title game and costing the conference $40M in having to pay back Fox.  Not trying to defend Warren at all, but that couldn't have been just a unilateral decision by him, there had to be other people from the B1G/BTN that were privy to that deal being cut.

The November night game issue is asinine as I have stated earlier.  I am not going to blame him at all for B1G schools still being stuck in the 1960s.  (Fun fact: B1G schedules used to end the weekend before Thanksgiving because they felt the players needed to spend the holiday at home with their families.  The schools didn't start playing games on Thanksgiving weekend until 2010!)

I think we all know he didn't handle the 2020 season the best.

Just now, teachercd said:

There are so many crazy ideas about what it is like in "other places"

People think Lincoln is -15 degree with 50 mile per hour wins from October to March.

I think it was 1999 where Nebraska's coldest kickoff temp of the season was at the Fiesta Bowl.  It was around 40 degrees at kick.

• TBH 3
24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The biggest issue from the article is giving NBC a B1G title game and costing the conference $40M in having to pay back Fox.  Not trying to defend Warren at all, but that couldn't have been just a unilateral decision by him, there had to be other people from the B1G/BTN that were privy to that deal being cut.

The November night game issue is asinine as I have stated earlier.  I am not going to blame him at all for B1G schools still being stuck in the 1960s.  (Fun fact: B1G schedules used to end the weekend before Thanksgiving because they felt the players needed to spend the holiday at home with their families.  The schools didn't start playing games on Thanksgiving weekend until 2010!)

I think we all know he didn't handle the 2020 season the best.

I agree with you that the schools need to join this century regarding night games. The $40 million for the title game and the extra payments for cutting short the 2020 season are minor in the grand scheme. However, the commissioner's office is supposed to understand the expectations of those he represents and more importantly, communicate with the schools and administrators. Based on the article, Warren wasn't communicating or transparent and made deals he didn't have the authority to make.

You're right though, there had to have been some others from the conference in the discussions making some of these agreements.

I know alot of high school players can brave the elements outside in November. Surprised the teams would push back against it like that. 

Also Warren is a dummy head. What in the world was he thinking leaving without finalizing everything??

A good discussion on the B1G media deal and a great rant by a national CFB media guy (Steven Godfrey) on the B1G old guard being afraid to play in chilly temps after the sun goes down starts at around the 36 minute mark.

"The MAC would play a night game in the rubble of the Silverdome in January if you asked them to"

• Plus1 1
On 5/26/2023 at 10:04 AM, Red Five said:

A good discussion on the B1G media deal and a great rant by a national CFB media guy (Steven Godfrey) on the B1G old guard being afraid to play in chilly temps after the sun goes down starts at around the 36 minute mark.

"The MAC would play a night game in the rubble of the Silverdome in January if you asked them to"

That makes me nervous that Big Ten brass would give away playoff home games in the first round because of possible cold weather.  That kind of cowardice needs to be called out.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 3