Big Ten Media

Curious what this means for streaming and subscriptions. If it's CBS, will all of the games outside of rabbit ears be on Paramount+? If NBC, all on Peacock? Any games still on BTN?

Yes, the B1G will get less play on ESPN going forward. When they dropped NHL games a number of years ago their coverage on SportsCenter and other shows dropped too. It's picking back up now that they're re-engaged. Makes sense. I'd expect the same to happen here.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

Curious what this means for streaming and subscriptions. If it's CBS, will all of the games outside of rabbit ears be on Paramount+? If NBC, all on Peacock? Any games still on BTN?

More than likely 1 game each week on Fox (11am), CBS (2:30 pm), and NBC (7:00 pm).  Then the rest of the games will be on BTN/FS1.  Maybe a few Thursday/Friday night games each year on Amazon, Apple, or Peacock.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

More than likely 1 game each week on Fox (11am), CBS (2:30 pm), and NBC (7:00 pm).  Then the rest of the games will be on BTN/FS1.  Maybe a few Thursday/Friday night games each year on Amazon, Apple, or Peacock.

I wish they would stagger the start times, like 12-6, for the BTN or non-marquee matchups. Keep games going throughout the day and utilize the multiple BTN stations. 

6 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I wish they would stagger the start times, like 12-6, for the BTN or non-marquee matchups. Keep games going throughout the day and utilize the multiple BTN stations. 

I just wish they would actually realize how long a game is so that you're not forced to watch the ending of a game that is already decided while your game is starting on some random channel that you might not get.  Schedule them in a way that the game ends. Then, if you have a little bit of time, you can do a few interviews before you spill it over to the new game.  Or, spill it over and the announcers at that game give a few minutes lead in to it.  They typically start at 11:00 and 2:00.  Why not start the second game at 2:30 and give the networks time to finish one and move to the next?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Maybe a few Thursday/Friday night games each year on Amazon, Apple, or Peacock.

I hoping that this doesn't become a common practice. I've become accustomed watching all the games on the networks or B1G Network. Haven't had to listen to a game on the radio/internet in decades but I grew up listening to them all so I guess it won't kill me.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That would suck.

Apple and Amazon don't look to be in this current round of broadcast rights, but could be down the road, especially if the Big Ten expands to 20+ teams.

Regarding this round of broadcast rights, with FOX, CBS, and NBC, I think the Big Ten will require the games to be broadcast on a network, TV-based channel (FOX, FS1, FS2, CBS, CBS Sports Network, NBC, USA Network, and BTN) with the ability to have the games on their mobile apps.

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Apple and Amazon don't look to be in this current round of broadcast rights, but could be down the road, especially if the Big Ten expands to 20+ teams.

Regarding this round of broadcast rights, with FOX, CBS, and NBC, I think the Big Ten will require the games to be broadcast on a network, TV-based channel (FOX, FS1, FS2, CBS, CBS Sports Network, NBC, USA Network, and BTN) with the ability to have the games on their mobile apps.

Hope so. Without access to broadband internet streaming it hit or miss for me depending on the time of day.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I use YouTubeTV so I basically use internet streaming for network TV.  I would be bummed if I would be forced to go to Paramount+ or Peacock to catch football games.

Yes.  I don't want to have to switch services (I use YouTubeTV also).  Or....even worse, sign up for several services just to be able to get all the games.  Then, we are basically back to the crappy pay per view BS we had in the Big 12.

• Plus1 2