Big Ten Media

22 minutes ago, admo said:

It does feel like the way of pay-for-content subscriptions (ppv) is here.  

If it goes that way, cool... I will listen over the waves or go somewhere to watch a big game.

I am happy with YouTube TV (4 years).  

I think exclusivity on streaming services is still years away. Yes, the NFL went to Amazon Prime for the Thursday night package, but that’s mainly due to the networks not wanting to pay the extra $ for Thursday nights (generally bad matchups) so they were willing to let Amazon Prime take it. It will be interesting to see where it goes in the future, but I think the NFL will always want at least the local games on over-the-air network TV. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think exclusivity on streaming services is still years away. Yes, the NFL went to Amazon Prime for the Thursday night package, but that’s mainly due to the networks not wanting to pay the extra $ for Thursday nights (generally bad matchups) so they were willing to let Amazon Prime take it. It will be interesting to see where it goes in the future, but I think the NFL will always want at least the local games on over-the-air network TV. 

Thanks, I was mostly thinking of package games could be a part.  We added west coast teams, and if USC & UCLA both play home night games, someone is not going to be on a broadcast. Who going to pick it up?  The Apple Peacock Channel?  

3 minutes ago, admo said:

Thanks, I was mostly thinking of package games could be a part.  We added west coast teams, and if USC & UCLA both play home night games, someone is not going to be on a broadcast. Who going to pick it up?  The Apple Peacock Channel?  

West Coast teams will adjust their kickoff time based on TV partners, just like every other Big Ten team does now. If anything FS1 or BTN will add a late night window to televise a 7 or 8 PM Pacific time zone kickoff. Conference teams have their kickoff times set by the TV networks, not the other way around. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

Are people really freaking out about maybe needing to add Amazon or Peacock (which I think is free) or some other streaming service to possibly not miss one or two Nebraska games? Maybe I’m gullible but I’m paying for all that s#!t already. The only one I don’t have is Apple and I can get it for free through my cell phone plan. This isn’t the end of the world.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Are people really freaking out about maybe needing to add Amazon or Peacock (which I think is free) or some other streaming service to possibly not miss one or two Nebraska games? Maybe I’m gullible but I’m paying for all that s#!t already. The only one I don’t have is Apple and I can get it for free through my cell phone plan. This isn’t the end of the world.

Peacock has free and paid content. The premium content is super expensive at $4.99 a month or $49.99 a year.

19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Remember when some games were on PPV and there were dudes that posted non-stop on post boards because they love NU so much but then would refuse to shell out the 10 dollars to watch the game.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, desertshox said:

Peacock has free and paid content. The premium content is super expensive at $4.99 a month or $49.99 a year.

Oh, I just get the free one. $4.99 on month by month….who can afford that for 3 months? :lol:

Just 2 days ago I added the More Sports and Entertainment package for $9.99/mo back onto my Xfinity service just so I could get BTN for the football season. It also includes the NHL Network so I’ll drop it again in April or May to save a few months next summer and then start it up again in August. Yeah, I still have cable TV chuckleshuffle

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Remember when some games were on PPV and there were dudes that posted non-stop on post boards because they love NU so much but then would refuse to shell out the 10 dollars to watch the game.

You could literally subscribe to every possible streaming service for less than it costs me to go to one frikken home game. Yeah, I spend more than I should at the Rail Yard :lol:

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I absolutely hated pay per view. It was early in my marriage and we had no money. Every Saturday morning I spent hearing from my wife about spending money to watch the game. 

I'm also old enough to remember when you paid for one service and got everything. Then, people complained about how expensive that was and wanted to just buy certain channels to be cheaper. 

Now we are at the point of having to subscribe to multiple services to get what we want and it’s then back up to what we were paying before….or more. 

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm also old enough to remember when you paid for one service and got everything. Then, people complained about how expensive that was and wanted to just buy certain channels to be cheaper. 

Now we are at the point of having to subscribe to multiple services to get what we want and it’s then back up to what we were paying before….or more. 

Not even close

The average DirecTV bill is $124/month

YoutubeTV - $65

HBO Max - $10

Netflix - $10

Disney+ Bundle (Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+) - $8

AppleTV+ - $5

That's a package that even has redundancies and youtubetv is a pricier option than something like sling. Plus you get access to way, way, WAY more entertainment.

• Plus1 1