Big Ten Media

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It may well be that Big Ten additions are already pretty well determined but no announcements and the devilish little details were subject to getting the media ducks in a row.  Don’t be surprised if a couple more west coast schools hop in the Big Ten Express sooner rather than later.  I could see the new Big Ten at 18 or even 20.  

Oregon, Wash, Stanford, Utah, ASU, or ??   I would think those PAC schools are feeling left out.  Neb will be flying west a lot.  But the fall weather road games would beat the Great Lakes snow belt.  Sucks for driving trips though.  

Eventually, maybe even soon, both the B1G and the SEC will be 20+ and will rule/govern CFB playoffs.   Any program left out won’t have a seat at the table.  Potentially being left out of the CFP would be the only reason ND decides to get on board.  This was told to me by a VERY reliable source.  

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

Eventually, maybe even soon, both the B1G and the SEC will be 20+ and will rule/govern CFB playoffs.   Any program left out won’t have a seat at the table.  Potentially being left out of the CFP would be the only reason ND decides to get on board.  This was told to me by a VERY reliable source.  

I agree.  I really see room for about 64 teams (double the NFL roughly).  Two 32 team super division of one College Football League.  How it sorts out is not readily visible but schools that want to be in should be getting ready.  At one time it seemed so logical to have a North, South, East and West.  That doesn’t look as likely now.  

40 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Swarbuck said playoffs or financially untenable. 100M vs 60M may qualify. :)

24 minutes ago, nic said:

Swarbuck said playoffs or financially untenable. 100M vs 60M may qualify. :)

ND had an endowment larger than any other P5 CFB university I believe.  They value their independence, but potentially being left out of a playoff would be probably the only thing that gets them to give it up.  Of course that would likely also   mean more $$, but money isn’t their primary motivator.  They already have tons of it.  

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Oregon, Wash, Stanford, Utah, ASU, or ??   I would think those PAC schools are feeling left out.  Neb will be flying west a lot.  But the fall weather road games would beat the Great Lakes snow belt.  Sucks for driving trips though.  

I wonder if the deal is enough to coax ND to join.    ND, Oregon, Wash, Stanford(to get ND in)   Or ND, Oregon, Stanford, Kansas for Basketball. 

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

ND had an endowment larger than any other P5 CFB university I believe.  They value their independence, but potentially being left out of a playoff would be probably the only thing that gets them to give it up.  Of course that would likely also   mean more $$, but money isn’t their primary motivator.  They already have tons of it.  

Wait did I say 100M...more than that...I forgot about this...

"The contract includes an escalator clause, meaning the deal could approach nearly $10 billion if the Big Ten’s membership increases, network sources said. Even after adding USC and UCLA, the Big Ten “is not done” expanding, sources told Action Network."

Edit....and then there is this:

"ND's viewership numbers collapsed this year because there was not a showdown against #1 Clemson that went to double OT on the schedule; their best game was their loss to Cincinnati, which only drew 3.8 million viewers. This is bad. Wisconsin/Minnesota drew 5 million; Nebraska/Wisconsin drew 3.5; Purdue-Iowa drew 3.5."

"Note that the Big Ten's media deal should mean that ND never has a home night game again: NBC will be broadcasting an 8 PM Big Ten game weekly. I'm not sure that makes a big difference, but it is an interesting side effect."

I'm a little disappointed that there will be 47 basketball games/year on Peacock.  B1G hoops is the best college hoops in the nation and they will have a couple of games/week that end up on a pay service & unless The Huskers start playing much better they will be on there a couple times a year.

CBS will continue to air Big Ten men's basketball regular-season and tournament games, and will add the league's women's basketball tournament championship for the first time. Peacock will carry up to 47 men's basketball games (32 conference games) and 30 women's basketball games (20 conference games) per season. Fox and FS1 will broadcast at least 45 men's basketball games per season, and Big Ten Network will broadcast at least 126 men's basketball games per season.

26 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

I'm a little disappointed that there will be 47 basketball games/year on Peacock.  B1G hoops is the best college hoops in the nation and they will have a couple of games/week that end up on a pay service & unless The Huskers start playing much better they will be on there a couple times a year.

I guess the question is are those games that weren't getting on TV before.  The Huskers had six games on BTN+ last year (counting exhibition games) so if it's a lot of those games going to Peacock, it's not really that much of a difference.  I'm sure there will be some of the bigger games but that 47 number might make it sound like more of a difference than it really is.

30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess the question is are those games that weren't getting on TV before.  The Huskers had six games on BTN+ last year (counting exhibition games) so if it's a lot of those games going to Peacock, it's not really that much of a difference.  I'm sure there will be some of the bigger games but that 47 number might make it sound like more of a difference than it really is.

As bad as they were last year, not sure the money I spent on BTN+ was worth it anyway