What's the future for NU football? Forecasting five years down the road

It's hard to believe that it has been seven years since ADSE dumped Bo in favor of Mike. It's equally hard to believe that, in those seven years, Nebraska has been bowling just twice and has finished with a winning record just once.

Even a pessimist would have given a better forecast for the Huskers seven years removed from Coach Pelini. 

And in all these years, we have re-lived and re-lived Bo and how it could have been different.

These days, I am thinking about the future. And hoping it's a bit better. Surely, we are all doing that. So, in the spirit of looking forward, and not just a few weeks to this season, but five years into the future, what are we thinking NU football will end up looking like?

I give Coach Frost and Trev credit for trying to make moves to put Nebraska in better position, but try as I might, I do not see it working out.

I thought it would end last year. Buy out expense might have changed that.

Five years from now, I see a coach with Big 10 ties leading the program. It's time we actually did embrace that idea. Most of the team's we play, even in the future of super conferences, will have a Big 10 flavor to the way they go about their business. Bo came in and tried Big 12 strategies in the Big 10. Didn't work. Mike came in and tried PAC strategies, didn't work. And Scott has tried Oregon/UCF strategies and it hasn't worked well, at least on the offensive side. Plus, our future in recruiting is in the Big 10 footprint.

If/when Scott leaves us, I don't see Nebraska breaking the bank to bring in a super exciting coach. That's just not our style.

I think we will get a solid but not flashy coach to lead us to solid seasons and back into regular bowls or to the playoffs assuming that the playoffs grow to be huge and the bowls go away.

Maybe I am wrong and Scott's offseason moves will put us in great position and we will be extremely relevant going forward. Then again, Mark is not young, so even that prediction might have a provision for replacing the OC.

Thoughts?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

@tmfr15 Honestly, in reading your post, what I get from it is your anti frost rant in a passive manner.

I give Coach Frost and Trev credit for trying to make moves to put Nebraska in better position, but try as I might, I do not see it working out.

I don't see doom and gloom. I see opportunity especially with NIL and new transfer policies. Also, 2 former players that are focused on reviving the ship. I also believe the bumps and bruises along the way begin to pay dividends this year which over the next 5 years magnifies.

Plus, our future in recruiting is in the Big 10 footprint.

This paragraph was nothing but "I hate Scott Frost" and I don't need to open that flood gate. Still, the recruiting.. the NIL and open transfer market will thankfully allow us to recruit (and recruit successfully mind you) nationally. I don't buy into your small pie portion at all.

As for the rest of your post.. Total "the sky is falling" garbage. It's incredibly easy to read into a poster's sentiment and yours is nothing but negative, loathsome, woe are we thoughts. I personally believe the change in player types, the depth, the focus, the desire to restore the program is higher than it's ever been and 5 years from now the B1G will finally be rewarded for their invitation to the conference. The best things in life truly are worth waiting for and patience builds character. That character begins to reveal itself this year and when the chips fall in future years the Huskers will again be respected and yes, with SF and Trev in the same positions they are now.

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

It's hard to believe that it has been seven years since ADSE dumped Bo in favor of Mike. It's equally hard to believe that, in those seven years, Nebraska has been bowling just twice and has finished with a winning record just once.

Even a pessimist would have given a better forecast for the Huskers seven years removed from Coach Pelini. 

And in all these years, we have re-lived and re-lived Bo and how it could have been different.

These days, I am thinking about the future. And hoping it's a bit better. Surely, we are all doing that. So, in the spirit of looking forward, and not just a few weeks to this season, but five years into the future, what are we thinking NU football will end up looking like?

I thought it would end last year. Buy out expense might have changed that.

Five years from now, I see a coach with Big 10 ties leading the program. It's time we actually did embrace that idea. Most of the team's we play, even in the future of super conferences, will have a Big 10 flavor to the way they go about their business. Bo came in and tried Big 12 strategies in the Big 10. Didn't work. Mike came in and tried PAC strategies, didn't work. And Scott has tried Oregon/UCF strategies and it hasn't worked well, at least on the offensive side. Plus, our future in recruiting is in the Big 10 footprint.

If/when Scott leaves us, I don't see Nebraska breaking the bank to bring in a super exciting coach. That's just not our style.

I think we will get a solid but not flashy coach to lead us to solid seasons and back into regular bowls or to the playoffs assuming that the playoffs grow to be huge and the bowls go away.

Maybe I am wrong and Scott's offseason moves will put us in great position and we will be extremely relevant going forward. Then again, Mark is not young, so even that prediction might have a provision for replacing the OC.

Thoughts?

Said Pelini: (2009 Holiday Bowl) “Nebraska is back, and we’re here to stay. ... Where we are right now, I believe we can beat anybody in the United States.”

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Said Pelini: (2009 Holiday Bowl) “Nebraska is back, and we’re here to stay. ... Where we are right now, I believe we can beat anybody in the United States.”

Bo over Dabo in the Gator Bowl. Bo over Arizona at the Holiday Bowl. Great memories. We did feel pretty good back then. 

• Fire 1
35 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

start the clock ticking, the Trev/Frost experiment is about to begin in earnest. So far nothing earth shattering, but maybe expectations should remain guarded.

things could easily look a lot different 5 years from now. bank on it.

The only thing that we know about the next 5 years is that there will be change.  Either Frost gets it figured out and there's change in the results.  Or, there's change in the coaching staff, which then we have no idea where the program will go from there.

• Plus1 2

Watching the staff recruit from the portal has been amazing and they've brought in so many guys to address about every aspect of the team. I know the coaches have been guarded about it saying that high school recruiting is going to be the thing and kind of indicating we won't count on the transfer deal much. Does anybody think that a reliance on the portal might be a thing that happens as the years go by? The top teams seem to over recruit and so guys low on the depth chart are likely to leave. If Scott's staff cultivates that, if feels like we could do some major work there in getting finishing players for the squad. With NIL coming in and our success of being top five in the country, it feels like this could be a big deal for us.

10 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

Watching the staff recruit from the portal has been amazing and they've brought in so many guys to address about every aspect of the team. I know the coaches have been guarded about it saying that high school recruiting is going to be the thing and kind of indicating we won't count on the transfer deal much. Does anybody think that a reliance on the portal might be a thing that happens as the years go by? The top teams seem to over recruit and so guys low on the depth chart are likely to leave. If Scott's staff cultivates that, if feels like we could do some major work there in getting finishing players for the squad. With NIL coming in and our success of being top five in the country, it feels like this could be a big deal for us.

The vast majority of the portal transfers were from the south.  That's a thing that needs to continue.