2022 Alternate Uniforms - The Scoring Explosion

Mavric

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I should've added the caveat that a subtle tweak is fine and expected.  Those PSU ones barely look like alternates at all.  They keep with the spirit of the usual uniform.  Those all yellow UM unis are deplorable.  The all black Ohio State unis?  Awful.

Now on that note I'm going to go brew up some Sanka, yell at some clouds and head downtown to share the story of why Ike was America's greatest president.

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I should've added the caveat that a subtle tweak is fine and expected.  Those PSU ones barely look like alternates at all.  They keep with the spirit of the usual uniform.  Those all yellow UM unis are deplorable.  The all black Ohio State unis?  Awful.

Now on that note I'm going to go brew up some Sanka, yell at some clouds and head downtown to share the story of why Ike was America's greatest president.

Honestly, I think Michigan has had some of the ugliest alternates in history and we're probably a close second with the duct tape and pajama ones in the early days. Yellow and blue are a tough combo, and Adidas always found a way to make them look even more like a$$.

I've always love tOSU's black unis. They are intimidating!

• Plus1 1

I understand they are iconic, but you need to do something more if you're Penn State or just don't bother. People will notice helmet numbers, which they do every year I believe. Otherwise - slightly different font for numbers! A patch and some words that are a slightly darker blue than the rest of the uniform and therefore unreadable! White trim on the sleeves, conveniently hidden because they are elastic! A blue stripe on the pants, which even some Penn State fans probably think are part of the normal uniform! Gray facemasks, which a tiny chunk of the fanbase cares about and will notice!

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I understand they are iconic, but you need to do something more if you're Penn State or just don't bother. People will notice helmet numbers, which they do every year I believe. Otherwise - slightly different font for numbers! A patch and some words that are a slightly darker blue than the rest of the uniform and therefore unreadable! White trim on the sleeves, conveniently hidden because they are elastic! A blue stripe on the pants, which even some Penn State fans probably think are part of the normal uniform! Gray facemasks, which a tiny chunk of the fanbase cares about and will notice!

Alternate uniforms are for the players, and then for merch sales.

Fans being able to see or notice the differences in the stands or on tv is very far down the list of motivations, especially when plenty of those same fans will see that jersey in the team store with a display that says "HONORING THE PAST" or something and buy one as a collector's item

Money's high that this is an alternate/throwback reveal. It's the 40th year anniversary, and Adidas/NU have finally figured out a winning formula for Nebraska alternates which is 'make them simple and make them nostalgic'.

14 hours ago, Mavric said:

Well, I guess if I carried that team_admin.gif thingy I'd be trolling with kool aid laced videos etc too. 

THIS IS THE YEAR.  Stuff like that. 

Kidding aside, this is .. er,  the year of .. er, more wins probably. 

6 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Alternate uniforms are for the players, and then for merch sales.

Fans being able to see or notice the differences in the stands or on tv is very far down the list of motivations, especially when plenty of those same fans will see that jersey in the team store with a display that says "HONORING THE PAST" or something and buy one as a collector's item

Yeah, I guess. I'm just saying, both the players and a section of the fanbase would like something different. If you've already got a wall full of Penn State jerseys, I don't see the incentive for one with the slight differences here. Sure, some will buy it. But I think more would buy something unique. Whether it would be enough more to outweigh the fans who are pissed that they messed with the uniform, I dunno.

On 8/13/2022 at 12:20 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I think the off season is now mostly complete.  I was concerned about this one.  But....someone snuck it in in the last few weeks.

To be fair, it happened a bit later than usual this year. I feel like it's usually mid-July when they wheel out whatever sartorial abomination they wanna plug that season.

On the other hand, I would wholeheartedly endorse a 1983 throwback.

• Saunders changed the title to 2022 Alternate Uniforms - The Scoring Explosion