Poll - How many games will we win Regular Season & Bowl. NC Playoff Poll later! :>)

2022 Season Wins  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

I don't know why everyone is so quick to write off OK as a loss. We should have a more sound team, with a better QB, at home. If we can win our first 3 (which gosh darn it we should) then I like our odds. 

Yes I agree with both of your posts.  We are so hesitant and we don't want our expectations broken again:cry.  But if Scott is to get a FIRST signature win at NU, there is no better time than against an OU team that has a whole new staff, new playbook, just lost a beloved long term assistant coach on an ethics issue, new QB, and which will be overly confident after playing 2 creampuffs before coming to Lincoln.  I think beating OU will be more likely than beating Michigan this year.   I said we will lose 2 of the four against OU, MI, Iowa, Wisc.  I think we CAN beat OU, Wisc and if we are healthy finally beat Iowa - that would put us at 9 wins in my book but I'm doubtful of getting to 9 because of the last 4 games.

27 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Actually, I do know why...cause of the self-sabotage of big/tight games over the last 2 decades. Here's to breaking trends though! 

30 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Voted 6 wins.  Just can't predict this team, under this HC, doing more until I see it.  Case in point 2021.  Lose an OU game where we played pretty well.  Then a heartbreaker to MSU where the D dominated the 2nd half.  Then the roll on Northwestern.  Then the Michigan heartbreak.  How do we follow it up?  An egg to Minnesota AND Purdue when our strength, the D, could not get key stops.  Devastating.

2022 prediction: Scott's "best" year.  Multiple close losses.  Hard time closing the deal.

Northwestern - Win
North Dakota - Win
Georgia Southern - Win
Oklahoma - Loss
Indiana - Win
Rutgers - Win
Purdue - Loss
Illinois - Win
Minnesota - Loss
Michigan - Loss
Wisconsin - Loss
Iowa - Loss

Do you think Frost is retained if it plays out as you note above?    I don't think so if the last 4 are defeats followed by a cheap bowl game and another loss.  

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Northwestern - Win
North Dakota - Win
Georgia Southern - Win
Oklahoma - loss
Indiana - toss-up
Rutgers - Win
Purdue - toss-up
Illinois - toss-up
Minnesota - toss-up
Michigan - loss
Wisconsin - loss
Iowa - loss

Any away game is a toss up imo.  And that includes Northwestern and Rutgers.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Do you think Frost is retained if it plays out as you note above?    I don't think so if the last 4 are defeats followed by a cheap bowl game and another loss.  

I don’t because that scenario would mean beating only the crappy teams while losing to everyone with a pulse, including our main division rivals.  That’s certainly not progress.  

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

My Hopeful Season:

Northwestern - Win
North Dakota - Win
Georgia Southern - Win
Oklahoma - loss
Indiana - Win
Rutgers - Win
Purdue - Win
Illinois - Win
Minnesota - Win
Michigan - loss
Wisconsin - Win
Iowa - loss

The 2 games that scare me are North Dakota at home (trap game) and Purdue (road game) I'm relatively (well, as confident as preseason allows) confident on the other 7. Either way I expect 9 wins at most. If in regular season they win 9 I expect a bowl loss. If we win 8 regular season I expect a bowl win

You hope we lose to OU, UM and Iowa?  Get out.

:laughpound 

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

No, he'd be gone.  I don't want this, but watching the momentum from 2021, through the Northwestern game, has me cautious.

Scott has frequently said this team needed to learn how to win.  This is from his start as HC.  We see in 2021 a team that loses two well played games against OU and MSU (we gave the MSU game away), then blows out NW.  There's the taste right there.  We then blow the Michigan game.  IMO we had to win that to change trajectory.  Okay, bounce back time...and Minnesota crushes us in the 1st half.

I need to see something different.  This is the year with the talent and favorable schedule.  I can't bet on it though.  Each preseason hype and mid-season blunder has me leery.

If it plays out like I guess (not hope), he's gotta be gone.  

25 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

No, he'd be gone.  I don't want this, but watching the momentum from 2021, through the Northwestern game, has me cautious.

Scott has frequently said this team needed to learn how to win.  This is from his start as HC.  We see in 2021 a team that loses two well played games against OU and MSU (we gave the MSU game away), then blows out NW.  There's the taste right there.  We then blow the Michigan game.  IMO we had to win that to change trajectory.  Okay, bounce back time...and Minnesota crushes us in the 1st half.

I need to see something different.  This is the year with the talent and favorable schedule.  I can't bet on it though.  Each preseason hype and mid-season blunder has me leery.

If it plays out like I guess (not hope), he's gotta be gone.  

I think you speak for many of us - even those of us who think we might win 8 games or more.  For me, there is always a hedge. It isn't like us saying Tom will will 9 games this year.  Said wt confidence because Tom never won fewer than 9 games if I remember correctly.  Winning 8 games comes with a lot of 'but ifs'  But if the OL doesn't gel, But if we have an injury to one of the key players, But if we still aren't mentally strong, but if Scott still gets in his own way  and the worse possible but if 'we lose to NW in game 1' - if that happens - all bets are off.

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think you speak for many of us - even those of us who think we might win 8 games or more.  For me, there is always a hedge. It isn't like us saying Tom will will 9 games this year.  Said wt confidence because Tom never won fewer than 9 games if I remember correctly.  Winning 8 games comes with a lot of 'but ifs'  But if the OL doesn't gel, But if we have an injury to one of the key players, But if we still aren't mentally strong, but if Scott still gets in his own way  and the worse possible but if 'we lose to NW in game 1' - if that happens - all bets are off.

For me, the biggest issues that could hold us back from winning 8 games in the regular season are, a) if the offense doesn't come together like we all hope it does.  There's a lot of new pieces there that have to work.  I don't expect perfection the first game.  But, it needs to be at least competent enough to beat NW and then improve as the year goes.  And b) if they somehow are decimated with injuries.  I know injuries happen to every team.  But, there are seasons where a team will just have way more than their fair share.  

Those are the two biggest "but if's" for me.

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And b) if they somehow are decimated with injuries.  I know injuries happen to every team.  But, there are seasons where a team will just have way more than their fair share.  

I do think the O will come together. We have a lot of good talent there and if the OL improvement is real, we have RBs that can carry the team until the passing game clicks.

The injury side is the big 'but if'.  Knock on Wood (pause as I hit my head)  we aren't deep enough in certain important areas like a OSU, Bama -  A key injury could stunt our development quickly.  If Frost is successful this year, then I think we will be able to build much great depth where one injury won't hurt as much.  By depth, don't just mean # of players and their potential - I mean experiential depth -  we have a lot of potential in the RB and WR rooms for example but not a lot of experience. 

I voted 7.  I am confident the team could actually defeat every team on the schedule but could, theoretically, lose to any of them.  Is 7 optimistic or pessimistic?  I have been called both lately.  My FB wizard sister says 3-4 max.  My FB gambling wise son says 7-8 like Vegas I guess.  My other son says 8-9 is likeky.  Friends are all over on the prospects.  

My heart says 9 but the stats, recent history, changes, travel and other circumstances make the odds very low.   Thus, a split the difference.  My personal analysis says it will either be a bad year or a much better but not in the middle.  They’ll either rock and roll or collapse.  The psyche of the players will be hard to keep giving great effort with early losses which will likely snowball thereafter.  Or vice versa. 

7-5 with loses to OU, Purdue, Minny, UM and Wisky.  Frost will be retained because a win over Iowa will be the difference.  

OU -- we haven't beaten a team clearly "more talented" than us for a long while

Purdue -- Brohm has our number, they will be good and it's in West Lafayette

Minny -- Fleck knows how to play Nebraska better than anyone

UM -- We're just not getting out of the Big House with a W.  We're not deep enough for a late season task like that.

Wisky -- Our front 7 will be pretty beat up by then and will struggle to stop the run against that giant line and those backs.

I doubt anyone blows us out, though.  Maybe UM if we're thin with injuries in key spots.

• Plus1 2