Lyle Bremser or d!(k Perry

For those of us a few years older than some....who did you grow up listening to for Nebr Football broadcasts?  I grew up in Western Ne and started listening to Husker Football in 1962..the year Bob Devaney came to Lincoln. Our radio station choices were that that many, but our station of choice had d!(k Perry doing Husker broadcast. I remember hanging a transistor radio from a tree branch and playing catch w/ the football out in the street while listening to games. I know Lyle Bremser was a favorite to many,  but d!(k Perry had his place.

Edited by Huskersince62
misspelled name in topic

I think Greg Sharpe does an amazing play-by-play, and Matt Davison (color) brings a lot of extra commentary.  They are reaaally good.  I enjoy them.

Used to catch them a few games a year, but felt it was really special when I was OTR and I was absolutely engaged with the broadcast driving for hours on the highway.  (OTR - over the road 18 wheels) :w00t

I began listening in ‘68.  I’ve enjoyed all the broadcasters.  Gary Sharp is my least favorite, easily.  He’s done enough baseball over the years I think that it kinda gets that kind of tone or feel to it.  It is less bothersome to me the longer he does it I think. It also helps that he has better knowledge of the history of the team and department generally.  

He does a very professional job for sure.  And it is very hard to be a popular announcer when the team loses so darn much!  

7 minutes ago, admo said:

I think Greg Sharpe does an amazing play-by-play, and Matt Davison (color) brings a lot of extra commentary.  They are reaaally good.  I enjoy them.

Used to catch them a few games a year, but felt it was really special when I was OTR and I was absolutely engaged with the broadcast driving for hours on the highway.  (OTR - over the road 18 wheels) :w00t

I thought he meant who we grew up with. I like Sharpe and Davison too. Also I knew what OTR meant. I guess Im not as thot as I dum I was.

• Oh Yeah! 1

I grew up with Bremser. We liked his enthusiasm and all that. But he had a tendency to be off a couple of yards of the yard line. :D Of course man, woman and child was a classic. Us Husker fans then also love to hate Bud Wilkenson (sp?). On the Saturday games that showed Nebraska with him in the booth, he seemed to be bias against the Huskers. 

• Plus1 1

Nationally, the great Keith Jackson wasn't too shabby either........

Ahem..

Keith Jackson and Pavelka

IMO a really good announcer doesn't take over the mic after a big play with rambling......but rather, keeps quiet and allows the atmosphere to speak in it's place.  

• Plus1 1

Grew up with Lyle Bremser. He was the best imo. We also would have a radio outside as we played football while listening to the games. Back in those days not every game was televised like now. 

Also loved Keith Jackson on the national telecasts. He was the best for TV games. Pavelka was good but not as good as Bremser. I’ve only listened on the radio a couple times since Pavelka and whoever was calling the game(s) was not memorable.

I liked Lyle Bremser well enough, but I was always a d!(k Perry guy.

Maybe it was a Lincoln thing. My grandma listened to KFOR all the time. But Perry was an outstanding game-caller. 

d!(k Perry also hosted the Big Red Breakfast Buffet at the Villiager every gameday morning and picked me out of the crowd to give me a Gale Sayers football the only time I attended. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 7:52 PM, Pedro G said:

Us Husker fans then also love to hate Bud Wilkenson (sp?). On the Saturday games that showed Nebraska with him in the booth, he seemed to be bias against the Huskers. 

20 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Also loved Keith Jackson on the national telecasts. He was the best for TV games. Pavelka was good but not as good as Bremser. I’ve only listened on the radio a couple times since Pavelka and whoever was calling the game(s) was not memorable.

One of the best non-Nebraska announcers was Frank Broyles back in the day. He would spot penalties before the officials threw the flag. Also he was great at calling out what play was going to be run before in advance.