NHL 2022-23

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

You’re gonna have to pick a different team from the west. Deboer (former Vegas coach) is coaching Dallas. He’s a big reason they treated players (Fleury) like garbage…and he’s a huge tool.  Plus, everything Dallas is worth rooting against.

But I can sympathize. Hockey is conducive to hating all other teams.

Yep, it's a real pickle, that's for sure. Stupid Avs and Rangers...

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

What a game! I don't care about this series, but wow, there is nothing better than an OT game in the playoffs. 

The bad part is I couldn’t watch all of it. Started watching in the 3rd but when OT2 started I had to give up.

@JJ Husker (in particular) and @AZRaiderH8r ......  I never understood (as a novice Hockey fan) why yall hate so many teams :dunno  If not, most teams that were not your team.

After watching a lot this year, it occurred to me why.

You have been conditioned too.  

From the production of the game - especially when your team is on the road.

Hear me out on this.

I'm watching a lot of games, with a team I'm rooting for in mind (even if the Oilers are not playing)............ and if the team I am rooting for is playing at home, they score, the play it close, they win or whatnot, it is exciting.

If the team I am rooting for (and especially the Oilers) is on the road........ and the home team scores.............. you HEAR that DAMN HORN go off  - as a big  F U !!!!!!!!!!  And you see their crazy fans going nuts !!!  

That damn train/boat horn sound after a goal pisses people off lol - and if your team loses 5-2 it is a stab stab stab right in your heart.  

Idk, but I think I am on to something because that is how I have felt watching these games the last 3 seasons. 

That damn train/boat horn after a goal is conditioning people to feel awful and really hate the other team - whoever it is.  Just a big ol'  F YOU - Yeah !!!!!  (sound)..........  Over and over is so annoying you forget why you didn't like the other team until that damn goal sound lol

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, admo said:

@JJ Husker (in particular) and @AZRaiderH8r ......  I never understood (as a novice Hockey fan) why yall hate so many teams :dunno  If not, most teams that were not your team.

Hear me out on this.

I'm watching a lot of games, with a team I'm rooting for in mind (even if the Oilers are not playing)............ and if the team I am rooting for is playing at home, they score, the play it close, they win or whatnot, it is exciting.

If the team I am rooting for (and especially the Oilers) is on the road........ and the home team scores.............. you HEAR that DAMN HORN go off  - as a big  F U !!!!!!!!!!  And you see their crazy fans going nuts !!!  

That damn train/boat horn sound after a goal pisses people off lol - and if your team loses 5-2 it is a stab stab stab right in your heart.  

Idk, but I think I am on to something because that is how I have felt watching these games the last 3 seasons. 

That damn train/boat horn after a goal is conditioning people to feel awful and really hate the other team - whoever it is.  Just a big ol'  F YOU - Yeah !!!!!  (sound)..........  Over and over is so annoying you forget why you didn't like the other team until that damn goal sound lol

For sure some of that stuff plays into it but mostly it is typical rivalry stuff. Pretty much any 7 game series you will end up hating the opponent. Cheap shot here, a dive there, their coach arguing for something. And once you get to that point the hatred just hangs on forever.

I don’t like Vegas because they were a roadblock for the Avs a couple years. And I didn’t like their coach Deboer because he’s a crybaby. Now I don’t like Dallas because he’s their coach….and it’s Dallas. Transitive hate from the Cowboys :lol:

Or it may be because of one specific player. Evander Kane, Jordan Binnington, Ryan Reeves, Marchand and most of the Bruins. You just can’t not hate any team with those players.

Pretty much don’t like any Central team because we play them so often. Western conference kind of the same thing. Still hate the Red Wings stemming from mid to late 90’s. But man were those good games. When you have some time to go down the YouTube rabbit hole, Look up some of those Avs-Red Wings fights and even whole games from back in the day. Gotta love it when the goalies meet at center ice and half of each team has their equipment ripped off.

Yeah, I can’t really think of a team I don’t dislike at least a little. Maybe the Sabres and Senators? Woulda said Kraken but they recently joined the s#!t list :D

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

For sure some of that stuff plays into it but mostly it is typical rivalry stuff. Pretty much any 7 game series you will end up hating the opponent. Cheap shot here, a dive there, their coach arguing for something. And once you get to that point the hatred just hangs on forever.

I don’t like Vegas because they were a roadblock for the Avs a couple years. And I didn’t like their coach Deboer because he’s a crybaby. Now I don’t like Dallas because he’s their coach….and it’s Dallas. Transitive hate from the Cowboys :lol:

Or it may be because of one specific player. Evander Kane, Jordan Binnington, Ryan Reeves, Marchand and most of the Bruins. You just can’t not hate those teams.

Pretty much don’t like any Central team because we play them so often. Western conference kind of the same thing. Still hate the Red Wings stemming from mid to late 90’s. But man were those good games. When you have some time to go down the YouTube rabbit hole, Look up some of those Avs-Red Wings fights and even whole games from back in the day. Gotta love it when the goalies meet at center ice and half of each team has their equipment ripped off.

Yeah, I can’t really think of a team I don’t dislike at least a little. Maybe the Sabres and Senators? Woulda said Kraken but they recently joined the s#!t list :D

THAT is awesome - thank you !!!   One final question......

St. Louis Blues 

• Oh Yeah! 1

13 hours ago, admo said:

Hear me out on this.

Listen, I'm not saying that my hatred is healthy. It actually borders on insanity for the most part, and I'm sort of okay with that. I think it's the "fanatic" part of being a fan. But to give it a bit of completely ridiculous clarity, it either stems for entire teams or certain players (and therefore their teams) like @JJ Husker said. I grew up in CO, and when the Rockies left to become the Devils (so I hate the Devils to this day, plus my wife is a Ranger fan, so I have to), I was a sad little boy without a team. My best friend was from Chicago, so I ended up watching a ton of Hawks games and became a fan because I needed a team. Still to this day I'm a Hawks fan first, Avs fan second. So, I hate the Red Wings and Blues, initially because of the Hawks, but now also for the Avs. 

Can't stand Vegas, they do their players dirty and their fans are obnoxious as hell.

Sorry @admo, but as long as Evander Kane is an Oiler, hate them too.

F the Bruins because of Marchand. 

Don't like any of the California teams, because, well, California.

Those are just a few examples. Welcome inside the terror that is my mind. :)

• Oh Yeah! 3

Hockey is the ultimate ‘I hate that guy, unless he’s on my team then I live that guy’ sport. Every team has a goon or at least a heel of some sort. But you hate them on the other team.

example: 

I’m a Sens fan so I like Brady Tkachuk. He’s the captain and he doesn’t let other teams push the Sens around. But I can’t stand Brendan Gallagher, Michael Bunting, Brad Marchand, Corey Perry and to a lesser degree Matthew Tkachuk. Does Brady play differently than the other guys on the list? He’s actually talented unlike Gallagher, but otherwise, no, he’s the same type of player. He crosses the line sometimes but mostly plays right up to the line. 

however, if any of those guys ended up in Ottawa, I’d probably root for them if they helped the team. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
12 hours ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

Listen, I'm not saying that my hatred is healthy. It actually borders on insanity for the most part, and I'm sort of okay with that. I think it's the "fanatic" part of being a fan. But to give it a bit of completely ridiculous clarity, it either stems for entire teams or certain players (and therefore their teams) like @JJ Husker said. I grew up in CO, and when the Rockies left to become the Devils (so I hate the Devils to this day, plus my wife is a Ranger fan, so I have to), I was a sad little boy without a team. My best friend was from Chicago, so I ended up watching a ton of Hawks games and became a fan because I needed a team. Still to this day I'm a Hawks fan first, Avs fan second. So, I hate the Red Wings and Blues, initially because of the Hawks, but now also for the Avs. 

Can't stand Vegas, they do their players dirty and their fans are obnoxious as hell.

Sorry @admo, but as long as Evander Kane is an Oiler, hate them too.

F the Bruins because of Marchand. 

Don't like any of the California teams, because, well, California.

Those are just a few examples. Welcome inside the terror that is my mind. :)

No offense taken !  It makes a lot of sense.

And.... I promise I will never wear my Oilers jersey or StL Blues hoodie and cap around you !  :cheers

• Plus1 1