Husker Volleyball in Memorial Stadium

Dream Big. John Cook professes it. His volleyball teams do it. So do Nebraska volleyball fans.

How big?

Hmmm. What about a Nebraska volleyball game in Memorial Stadium?

This came up last week after my column on Wisconsin volleyball coach Kelly Sheffield saying he wants to break the Nebraska-Creighton record for regular-season volleyball crowd.

Both NU and CU are all-in to up their record (14,000) this year. And Cook said he would play a match in Pinnacle Bank Arena to break or set the record if necessary.

Then the fans/readers chimed into my email box. They said: If you want to put the record out of reach, play a match in Memorial Stadium.

I saw Cook after Saturday's Red-White scrimmage, and told him the fans' idea, he smiled.

“I don’t know who would want to play us there," he said. "If we want to get to that point, we have to play at PBA (first).”

OWH

• 6 months later...

• Mavric changed the title to Husker Volleyball in Memorial Stadium
30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And it now dawned on me that it (probably) won't count as an attendance record unless it's a regular season game.  So I'm going with my second option.

Saw that they're putting the court in the north endzone with tickets being $25.00 per opening up to season ticket holders first on 4/25 and then general public on 4/26. My bet, the total attendance is going to easily reach north of 50,000 because people love volleyball in Nebraska and people also love novelty. I'd almost bet that it would sell out the stadium if it wasn't on a Wednesday night.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Saw that they're putting the court in the north endzone with tickets being $25.00 per opening up to season ticket holders first on 4/25 and then general public on 4/26. My bet, the total attendance is going to easily reach north of 50,000 because people love volleyball in Nebraska and people also love novelty. I'd almost bet that it would sell out the stadium if it wasn't on a Wednesday night.

And, if it was an actual regular season game that means something.

53 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

I just don't see them pulling 50,000 on a Wednesday night, but man that would be awesome.  I know I'm going.