Call Your Shot!  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Predict the outcome of Game 1!

• Nebraska Wins & Covers (-12.5)
    • Nebraska wins but doesn't cover
    • Northwestern wins a close game
    • Frost is left in Ireland

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2022 at 03:00 PM

11 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

FIFY

Thanks!

Same yardage/scores loss, though. 

Having said all that, I believe there's another factor that can influence the score for us:  Our focus on ST.  I have the feeling those guys are going to give us some points, and not just in PATs and field goals. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

43 minutes ago, Hagg said:

@Born N Bled Red you had to mention the REFS didn't you..

@Hagg I kept hoping one of coaches would call a series of penalty avoidance clinics in practices.

I keep hoping a media personality will actually analyze the officiating bias against us. Examples: 2019 vs Northwestern number of holding calls against us vs against them or keep it recent, the no call pass interference in the wisconsin game or the rather extended no whistle in the michigan game. 

Say what you want but remember to watch for important opponents getting favorable officiating "every time" they play Nebraska. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the same in this game. Nebraska being called for 15+ holding penalties to Northwestern's 1 or 2. Conspiracy Theory here but I believe the B1G officials are told to throw the flags on Nebraska and the proof is in the pudding of horrible calls/no calls.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Loebarth said:

I keep hoping a media personality will actually analyze the officiating bias against us. Examples: 2019 vs Northwestern number of holding calls against us vs against them or keep it recent, the no call pass interference in the wisconsin game or the rather extended no whistle in the michigan game. 

Say what you want but remember to watch for important opponents getting favorable officiating "every time" they play Nebraska. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the same in this game. Nebraska being called for 15+ holding penalties to Northwestern's 1 or 2. Conspiracy Theory here but I believe the B1G officials are told to throw the flags on Nebraska and the proof is in the pudding of horrible calls/no calls.

I don't know (and I mean I don't know).  Is it possible to know?  What I do know (and like Sipple's what I think I know) is that Nebraska is probably one of the most if not THE most despised football programs in the Big Ten.  What made that come about I'm not sure of but I get the suspicion that it had something to do with a perceived holier than thou persona in ages passed with some jealousy glued on for good measure. 

Fans remember the calls against their team and are pretty quick to forget ones in their favor. There have absolutely been bad calls against us, but we've had plenty bounce our way.

The only one I'm still not happy about is the holding - we went like 2 full years without a holding call our way against a conference opponent and that's bizarre. I can see a chunk of it being reputation (you're really calling holding on Iowa/Wisconsin/Michigan? But they're so well coached!), and a chunk being we haven't had the guys rushing the passer who can make the OL grab. But I do think there's more there, probably just in the refs having too many things they're looking for. They have points of emphasis for every team/game, and if they're always being told to watch our DL for roughing the passer or what have you it takes focus away from potential holding.

I dunno, bit of a ramble there - TL;DR, something is up with the holding calls. I don't buy a general "refs have it out for us" narrative, but definitely agree they suck and have made bad calls.

• Plus1 5
3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Fans remember the calls against their team and are pretty quick to forget ones in their favor. There have absolutely been bad calls against us, but we've had plenty bounce our way.

The only one I'm still not happy about is the holding - we went like 2 full years without a holding call our way against a conference opponent and that's bizarre. I can see a chunk of it being reputation (you're really calling holding on Iowa/Wisconsin/Michigan? But they're so well coached!), and a chunk being we haven't had the guys rushing the passer who can make the OL grab. But I do think there's more there, probably just in the refs having too many things they're looking for. They have points of emphasis for every team/game, and if they're always being told to watch our DL for roughing the passer or what have you it takes focus away from potential holding.

I dunno, bit of a ramble there - TL;DR, something is up with the holding calls. I don't buy a general "refs have it out for us" narrative, but definitely agree they suck and have made bad calls.

Yeah, I mean as long as we're bringing up terrible officiating in 2019 against N'Western:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Just my take, and I know next to nothing, but to me until I start seeing a Scott Frost led Nebraska team gut up and consistently putting up solid wins against middle of the pack B1G teams, then I have to go with history, and history indicates this is Northwestern's year.   Northwestern 17 - Nebraska 14 in an extremely ugly and low scoring first game.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Torgan said:

Just my take, and I know next to nothing, but to me until I start seeing a Scott Frost led Nebraska team gut up and consistently putting up solid wins against middle of the pack B1G teams, then I have to go with history, and history indicates this is Northwestern's year.   Northwestern 17 - Nebraska 14 in an extremely ugly and low scoring first game.  

Is last year against northwestern considered ‘history’?  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Penn State fans would also say the Big Ten has been biased against them. A great example of that would be the 2012 fumble call on Matt Lehman's apparent touchdown here at Memorial Stadium. 

I think there's definitely something up with the holding calls against our opponents. That's not a coincidence. But I think the refs (maybe guided by the league?) have multiple biases, and different teams get different calls based on what's perceived to be best for the conference. 

If Nebraska starts winning and becomes a threat to make the playoffs, you can bet we'll start getting better calls. The Big Ten protects their winners.

4 hours ago, Loebarth said:

Cool. We haven't even taken the first snap yet and we are already working on excuses for the season.

• Thanks 1