Northwestern: What did we learn?

4 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Do you think an OU upset wins the fan base back?  18 - 30seem much better than 15-29?

Frost won’t win the base back with 8 wins this fall.  He gets a reprieve yes. But probation with NO more violations. (I.e - no more losing seasons and no more ugly losses for a couple years 2023 and 2024.  He has used up his get out of jail cards and good will and blind faith.  He has to get thing right and stay there a good while. There’s a lot of disgust. It won’t go away easy.  Imo. 

If they win 8 and one of those is OU, that means presumably that they also got a win over one of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, or Iowa. I wouldn't be saying give him a lifetime contract, but I'd be happy to say yes he gets another couple years provided we see it be a consistent thing that he wins the games he should and punches above the weight class here and there.

EDIT: I need to clarify - do I expect that to occur? No I expect four wins at this point.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

6 drops for the Husker WR's on Saturday.  (Palmer, Washington, Martin, Liewer)

Thompson was 25-42 against NW.

Without the drops he would have been 31/42 = 73.81%

Texas fans have mentioned there were a lot of drops last year at Texas.  Maybe it has something to do with how he delivers the ball.  :dunno

Or maybe he just needs time to gel with his receivers.   

He was extremely accurate until the turf monster got him.   He seemed to be a little off the mark after that.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Texas fans have mentioned there were a lot of drops last year at Texas.  Maybe it has something to do with how he delivers the ball.  :dunno

Or maybe he just needs time to gel with his receivers.   

He was extremely accurate until the turf monster got him.   He seemed to be a little off the mark after that.

Against NW.....   Threw some wobblers, constantly under pressure (but that amazing quick release from the pocket tho... with immediate decision making ....:worship )  and converted a lot of 3rd downs in doing so.

Not all passes were perfectly catchable, but many were good enough passes that if Mickey Joseph's receivers did their part better, we could have kept moving the chains.  The offense line and CT can only do so much.  

I think we will be fine.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

6 drops for the Husker WR's on Saturday.  (Palmer, Washington, Martin, Liewer)

I'd be curious to see that list.  I recall a few that people might characterize as drops that I don't think qualify.  I don't remember that many that I would call drops.

• Plus1 1

They say if you can touch it you should catch it, but on those crossing patterns when the receiver is running full out and the pass comes in hot behind him, it really is a tough catch. At least two of the drops were those, and I see NFL receivers missing them, too.

Pretty satisfied with Casey Thompson's mechanics and quick decision making. The fourth quarter yips made everyone forget something they knew how to do. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

You cannot hit a WR or TE in the face mask or chest to be a catchable pass.  The QB and pass protection can only do so much.  If Mickey's guys can bend, jump, turn, twist, reach up, speed up, slow down or slide for a ball.... and get their hands on it.....  the offense would benefit with them catching the ball.  

Do not put the pressure on the QB to make a perfectly catchable pass for a play to be executed to the fullest.  He throws it so you can make a play.  Qb throws it, your turn, you go get it. And don't tip it to the defense.

10 minutes ago, admo said:

You cannot hit a WR or TE in the face mask or chest to be a catchable pass.  The QB and pass protection can only do so much.  If Mickey's guys can bend, jump, turn, twist, reach up, speed up, slow down or slide for a ball.... and get their hands on it.....  the offense would benefit with them catching the ball.  

Do not put the pressure on the QB to make a perfectly catchable pass for a play to be executed to the fullest.  He throws it so you can make a play.  Qb throws it, your turn, you go get it. And don't tip it to the defense.

Read this in an article about the final two drives by NU...Off all the alleged skill guys we have....Article here:

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/dave-feit-nebraska-northwestern-postmortem

Rotations and substitutions were head-scratching. Projected impact players - such as Rahmir Johnson - were on the milk carton. If I told you the skill position players on the field during the final two drives included true freshman Ajay Allen, Brody Belt, Martin Oliver, and Wyatt Liewer, you'd probably assume the Huskers were leading by 17 points instead of trailing by three.

• Plus1 2

0/6 lifetime coaching with onside kick attempts??? 1 was successful and was nullified due to a player running out of bounds then returning to the field of play then contacting the football?

Saturday given the circumstances wouldn't be the time to hopefully get one. Gotta play smart not forcing things! We continued to find ways to get in our own way...

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

Read this in an article about the final two drives by NU...Off all the alleged skill guys we have....Article here:

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/dave-feit-nebraska-northwestern-postmortem

Rotations and substitutions were head-scratching. Projected impact players - such as Rahmir Johnson - were on the milk carton. If I told you the skill position players on the field during the final two drives included true freshman Ajay Allen, Brody Belt, Martin Oliver, and Wyatt Liewer, you'd probably assume the Huskers were leading by 17 points instead of trailing by three.

Oh good.  Let's cherry-pick some stuff that fits what we want to say.  

First, at least get the guy's name's right if you want to have credibility.  You don't know who they are after they've been on the team for years?

Allen was in the game in the first quarter.  Why would he not be in the rotation in the fourth?

Belt averaged nearly 15 yards per catch when he did get the ball and was our highest-graded WR for the day.

And he tries to make it sound like we were counting on those guys to win the game.  The guy who actually got touches/targets were Palmer, Grant, Brown, Washington, Palmer and IGC. 

But it's way more fun to try to give a false impression of what's going on. 

• Thanks 1

If the guys can play, play them.  All the reports were the WRs we’re doing well.  Agree it’s no issue which guys were in the game when.  Now if we’ve had a guy for a bunch of games previously and notoriously can’t catch, that might be different. But play / no play.  That is decided before the game.  Next man up.  Rotate. Coaches and players were fine.  First game for some but.  Go play.