Northwestern: What did we learn?

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Frost's onside kick call was so ill-timed, poorly executed and bound to reflect badly on the coach it almost makes you wonder........

Is he just in f-it mode? 

I"m of the opinion that had Frost not made that call, Northwestern would still have found a way to win, and Nebraska a way to lose.

Scott may have thought the same thing. 

He’s not in F-it mode.  His comment when hired that the B1G will change to fit his style was on full display.

He lacks vision.  He doesn’t see the problems. There is a culture and leadership problem in the program and it’s him.  He can sell a used car (we have talent that he got here), but the car he sold is a beater.

I also agree though that NW would have found a way to win.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I'm looking at the schedule on the right side of the page and I think we look good against Red, North Dakota, and Georgia Southern.

TBH, I am not sure against Georgia Southern....Helton is no slouch as a HC. Pains me to say it, but I can see them out scheme us.  Might not result in the W for them, but I think they will be the better coached team TBH.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

It's really important to watch this game in the same context as the 3-9 season.

This team is capable of coming out with focus and discipline. They have good talent and good schemes and good results. They are never out of the game against supposedly better talent, and always have multiple opportunities to right the ship against lesser opponents.

Other teams always make better in-game adjustments than the Husker coaching staff, but there Nebraska is in the fourth quarter, still with a chance to win, still running plays that worked perfectly well a quarter or so ago. And they just fall apart. They know they're going to fall apart. By now we do, too. The body language says it all.

Can a single head coach change this overnight, or at least in a first season?

Yes, The good ones do it all the time. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
19 minutes ago, lo country said:

Bielima is a better coach than Frost.  So is Schiano......I thought Frost would have been let go last year.  I hoped/thought we'd be better in game 1 year 5......Not so much.  

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when some of these opposing coaches talk about Nebraska.

The gloves are off.  The theme is not "Beat Nebraska", it's "Wait for Nebraska to beat themselves".

I always remember all the coaches saying "Mike Riley is such a nice guy".  I always heard, in my head, "Easy Win".

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Do you know who might have tried that onside kick? Scott Frost's mentor, Chip Kelly. Except his would have been executed with speed and cunning and probably would have been successful, and had it failed Oregon would still have won by 17.

That is mostly where that little disaster nugget was conceptualized. Very insightful 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Frost's onside kick call was so ill-timed, poorly executed and bound to reflect badly on the coach it almost makes you wonder........

Is he just in f-it mode? 

I"m of the opinion that had Frost not made that call, Northwestern would still have found a way to win, and Nebraska a way to lose.

Scott may have thought the same thing. 

He’s on the take I’m telling you! 

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This might not be popular but I feel like Trev should be on the hot seat too.

I do believe he was in a horrible spot last year because of Frost being a legend...because we still have fans that are scared of Bo...but Trev was hired to make big boy moves.

Mmmmaybe.

You could say that one more season with a major coaching revamp, contract restructuring, and immediate help from the portal would only be fair to Frost, the program and the players. Maybe just one season to see what would happen if Frost's star wasn't hitched to Adrian Martinez.

I don't know if Trev will work out, but I can guarantee you they were vetting potential HC replacements --- just like we were -- and possibly sending out feelers as 2021 played out, and there simply may have been no satisfying option, just Mike Riley 2.0.

So it may have been a big boy move to wait, give Frost an honest chance, and use his restructured contract against him midseason if he s#!t the bed. More time to scout for long term replacements, hire the most popular coach or coordinator as a mid-season replacement, save a bit of coin, and know that no one in college football would fault you for ending the Scott Frost experiment..