Northwestern: What did we learn?

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Mmmmaybe.

You could say that one more season with a major coaching revamp, contract restructuring, and immediate help from the portal would only be fair to Frost, the program and the players. Maybe just one season to see what would happen if Frost's star wasn't hitched to Adrian Martinez.

I don't know if Trev will work out, but I can guarantee you they were vetting potential HC replacements --- just like we were -- and possibly sending out feelers as 2021 played out, and there simply may have been no satisfying option, just Mike Riley 2.0.

So it may have been a big boy move to wait, give Frost an honest chance, and use his restructured contract against him midseason if he s#!t the bed. More time to scout for long term replacements, hire the most popular coach or coordinator as a mid-season replacement, save a bit of coin, and know that no one in college football would fault you for ending the Scott Frost experiment.. 

I sort of wonder if he did some searching and like you said, came back with nothing that felt great.

If he did, it was kept really quiet. 

At this point, its really hard to say Trev is responsible for Frost’s failings.  He’s doing what he was hired and told to do.   The mistake was hiring Frost 4.5 years ago, apparently.  Who knows.  Frost has done some good things.  His only real fail has been losing games (way too many).  The program and its players have been respectable in most other ways.  

His biggest issue - it seems to me from an outsider/fan view - he is just a not very good game manager at times and has failed to be a team ‘head’ coach, focusing too much on offensive schemes and play calling and the QBs and WRs.  He ignored 1/3 rd (STs) and even the O line, so critical to his fanciful passing game.  

Chins has done pretty well managing a defense.  Even with the big changes he made (willingly or not), he took a defensive coach and retained all the offensive coaches and the most critical need (O line), brought in an inexperienced guy.  Raiola may be fine but he’s unproven at a time when there’s no room for any risk of fail.  Point is - Frost just doesn’t seem to get it that his prioritizing skill offense over quality linemen, kickers, and their coaching has been disastrous to the team and program.  Imo.   

I like Frost generally although I’ve never met him personally.  He has represented NU well 95% of the time (as well as any human being with faults can imo).  A few slips and overspeaks but that happens to nearly all coaches over time.  

I truly feel very sad it has not worked out so far and am not able to suggest any way to fix things.  He needs his team to dig down and play their hearts out and win more games than they lose this fall.  Hoping for Cinderella 2022 is all but impossible now.  

GBR.   Good luck to Trev as his worst case - perfect storm - scenario may unfold sooner than we thot possible!   Ugh.  

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

At this point, its really hard to say Trev is responsible for Frost’s failings.  He’s doing what he was hired and told to do.   The mistake was hiring Frost 4.5 years ago, apparently. 

I guess it was a mistake but if the new coach at that point wasn't amazing, 99% of us would have said we made a terrible error in not hiring Frost.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I learned I hate week zero games and hope Neb never has one against a conf opponents ever agin worst thing the administration done was agree to something like this with the type of team and coaches we have  

May as well rip the bandaid off and know what you have as early as possible.  I'm tired of limping along as a program.

39 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I learned I hate week zero games and hope Neb never has one against a conf opponents ever agin worst thing the administration done was agree to something like this with the type of team and coaches we have  

I like the concept. I don't like the idea when we play like crap and we're humiliated on a grand scale. The exposure can be good. Last two occasions should've been WINS and they weren't...

What did we learn?

Still haven't figured out that we need to recruit lineman, both sides.

Recruit/receive all the WR's and Qb's you want, if no line, they can't produce.

Why do each and every running back, since Ameer, just run straight up the middle, into 8 guys in a pile?  Why.  This has just caused me fits for so long.  Seriously, watch our rb's and watch how they would rather run the ball into a pile up than make a jump cut or side step and find a hole.  All Frost has recruited thus far are straight line runners. 

In a short one game report card this team is worse than last years, maybe worse than the year before.  They have no defense stoppers.  They have no QB/zone read.  We have no threats to beat you in a 4 quarter game.  We can beat you for 2 quarters, but not the full 4.  Seen this before?  Not impressed with this so called portal inquired talent.  Don't see any real difference makers on either side of the ball.  Same things were said last year at this time.  We just lost to maybe the 10th best team in the Big 10.  We still have Iowa, Wisky, Minny, Purdue and Illini left for west div games.  We will lose 3 out of 4 for sure.  Michigan, Rutgers and Indiana?  Will lose 2 out of those 3.  I am seeing 4-8 at best.

I rewatched the game after calming down and I can say that
(1) We did well in the kicking game

(2) New QB is promising

(3) Grant is promising

(4) We had our lowest number of fouls (0 fouls in first half)

(5) Offense did well until Frost decided to onside kick (one of the worst decisions in his career at Nebraska and that is saying something given that he had nothing but bad decisions since he came to Nebraska)

(6) Defense forgot how to tackle

(7) Special teams were better than last year (which is not saying much) but the players still do not know when to field the ball and when to take off and run

(8) Frost’s game management is an example of what not to do in a game. He sucks at managing the game and knowing when to take a time out. 
(9) No game will be an easy game as long as Frost is at the helm. He just has a way of making horrible teams look like world beaters. I would not be surprised if North Dakota plays us super close. 
(10) This is Frost’s last season, the only question would be when will Trev pull the kill switch on this painful experiment.

• Fire 2
17 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This team is capable of coming out with focus and discipline. They have good talent and good schemes and good results. They are never out of the game against supposedly better talent, and always have multiple opportunities to right the ship against lesser opponents.

One penalty for five yards.  For the entire game.

Last few years, one of the most penalized teams in the country.

That's an improvement, yes.  But you gotta execute WITH discipline as well.