Northwestern: What did we learn?

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Me:  We will miss AM, dude is a player!

Everyone:  Can't wait to see how good we are without AM

Today:  2 picks, no QB rushing yards and a loss.

Let's get real. Thompson was still way better than Martinez.  I would have liked to see him run more, but he is a much better passer.  Frost spotted NW 14 points with the two TOs and the onside kick.  We also lost another TD on the non-fumble.  Thompson was not as accurate in the 2nd half, but his WRs could have caught those INTs.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Let's get real. Thompson was still way better than Martinez.  I would have liked to see him run more, but he is a much better passer.  Frost spotted NW 14 points with the two TOs and the onside kick.  We also lost another TD on the non-fumble.  Thompson was not as accurate in the 2nd half, but his WRs could have caught those INTs.

CT was under 60%...sacked twice with two picks and -18 yards rushing.

What world is that "way better"

It is okay to admit that AM with a real coach...is an AA.

AM would have been CRUCIFIED for stats like that today...

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

CT was under 60%...sacked twice with two picks and -18 yards rushing.

What world is that "way better"

It is okay to admit that AM with a real coach...is an AA.

I agree with you, and I've learned to not waste time explaining this to people who don't look at stats and only go by their version of an eyeball test.

The thing is though, 355 passing yards is a great game. So even though the completion percentage wasn't great, it's all about whether you moved the chains enough to get the ball in the red zone. And Casey did do that for the most part today.

What sticks out the most to me is how people would have used this exact situation in today's game to show that Martinez "isn't clutch." Saw that exact phrase a bunch of times in one of the other threads recently.

But how about this: How about all of the ways the rest of the team and coaches f***** up for the other 85% of the game before the middle point of the 4th quarter? Meaning, sure Thompson throws behind the guy that leads to the pick on the last drive, and then there was the other one. But we shouldn't have been in the position of needing to come from behind in this game. And I said the same thing about roughly five of the losses last year, but the average fan just seems to want to hang things on the QB.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I agree with you, and I've learned to not waste time explaining this to people who don't look at stats and only go by their version of an eyeball test.

The thing is though, 355 passing yards is a great game. So even though the completion percentage wasn't great, it's all about whether you moved the chains enough to get the ball in the red zone. And Casey did do that for the most part today.

What sticks out the most to me is how people would have used this exact situation in today's game to show that Martinez "isn't clutch." Saw that exact phrase a bunch of times in one of the other threads recently.

But how about this: How about all of the ways the rest of the team and coaches f***** up for the other 85% of the game before the middle point of the 4th quarter? Meaning, sure Thompson throws behind the guy that leads to the pick on the last drive, and then there was the other one. But we shouldn't have been in the position of needing to come from behind in this game. And I said the same thing about roughly five of the losses last year, but the average fan just seems to want to hang things on the QB.

Yep!

And just wait...now that teams don't need to game plan for a QB run game...my god...it will get bad.

• CT looks good when he is on, but boy that second half wasn’t that good.  
  • Leiwer needs to not see the field and the other receivers need to catch the ball when it hits their hands
  • Looks like NU is gonna have to score 35 every game to have a chance
  • Kickers looked good and will be nice to not have a panic attack every time they come out to kick
  • the linebackers suck
  • The DLine stunts suck as the opposing line just lets them go with the stunt and the running backs dealt and hit the then open hole.  
  • China bend but don’t break defensive is the most frustrating thing to watch these past few years.   
  • At some point,  play a defensive game that dials up bringing more than 5 people on a rush once in awhile.  
  • recruiting the rest of the season is gonna suck.   Better hit the portal hard. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Me:  We will miss AM, dude is a player!

Everyone:  Can't wait to see how good we are without AM

Today:  2 picks, no QB rushing yards and a loss.

Sure. The last one should be a catch.  Last year Nebraska also had a different scheme allowing the qb to run.

We can also look at that third down Mahomes like convention that Casey had.  How many ways do you think AM screws that up?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Sure. The last one should be a catch.  Last year Nebraska also had a different scheme allowing the qb to run.

We can also look at that third down Mahomes like convention that Casey had.  How many ways do you think AM screws that up?

The one when he ran around and was so slow that he could not just run for the first down and had to back up like it was a video game and toss it up?

AM did that all the time, but, he just turned the corner and ran for 30 yards.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:
  • CT looks good when he is on, but boy that second half wasn’t that good.  
  • Leiwer needs to not see the field and the other receivers need to catch the ball when it hits their hands
  • Looks like NU is gonna have to score 35 every game to have a chance
  • Kickers looked good and will be nice to not have a panic attack every time they come out to kick
  • the linebackers suck
  • The DLine stunts suck as the opposing line just lets them go with the stunt and the running backs dealt and hit the then open hole.  
  • China bend but don’t break defensive is the most frustrating thing to watch these past few years.   
  • At some point,  play a defensive game that dials up bringing more than 5 people on a rush once in awhile.  
  • recruiting the rest of the season is gonna suck.   Better hit the portal hard. 

Why they stunt the ends into the line so much is insane...

I am over it in terms of expecting anything but I am 100% excited for the coaching search...and there is one name out there that can't wait to show that he is still the top dog...UM

Thompson is the perfect QB for Whipple's system. Our run/pass ratio today was 42% run / 58% pass. I have a feeling that a lot of fans will be especially pissed off if that continues and we also struggle because so many 'sker fans just still want to see smashmouth running being what moves the chains. It's pretty clear that Whipple doesn't do that.

But I don't think it matters, and again Thompson is the best possible guy we could have gotten to run what Whipple wants to do. Whether what he wants to do wins a bunch of games is the question.

Grant ran hard in the red zone.

Coaching lost the game. Seriously, imagine that...imagine coaching losing this game in the "do-or-die" scenario of this season and in year 5.

I'm going to bet that the offense has kicked the defense's a$$ in fall camp and Frost thought "I just don't trust them to hold this lead." I think that was a completely stupid approach and it's another one in the 'special teams losing the game' column for me (even though it was a coaching decision). Scott just can't get it right no matter how hard he tries. He doesn't understand how to play football in the conference he's in.