Don't Stay Frosty

Outsider here from Tennessee. Us 2 fan bases have been going through this similar turmoil for years on end now. Hopefully ours is about to end with Josh Heupel appearing to be a promising hire. If I'm Nebraska brass their are 3 names I'm seriously considering once Frost is canned. Gary Patterson currently at Texas, Bryan Harsin who's about to be fired at Auburn, and Jamey Chadwell from Coastal Carolina. Good day Husker fans. Hopefully it gets better.

scott_frost_drinky.gif

• Plus1 1

Just now, BoNeyard said:

Chris Petersen.

Bob Stoops.

Those are your swing for the fences hires. Talk to them and see if you can get either of them. If not, who the hell knows these days. On paper Frost was a grand slam hire.

Those would be ideal, but I doubt either are head coaches again. Chadwell's stuff is fun to watch.

1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

Those would be ideal, but I doubt either are head coaches again. Chadwell's stuff is fun to watch.

It's an evolution of what TO was running.  Uses some triple option off of RPO at times.  Has a very balanced attack regarding pass to run ratio.  Can use 2 back sets when needed by bringing slot into backfield or the TE.  It is fun to watch for sure.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

Frost's stuff was fun to watch and he too came from a G5 school. 

But I agree, both Stoops and Petersen are likely done, although between the two I could see Petersen trying it one more time. He seems like he would fit Nebraska perfectly. 

Stoops, Petersen, Meyer. Pie in the sky names most of us want but only a select few universities can pull. Tennessee swung for James Franklin but ended up with Heupel. Many fans were displeased at 1st but he beat expectations last year. Patterson would be my bigger name 1st call if I'm Nebraska. Harsin doesn't fit in the SEC but would do well in Big 10 country. Chadwell is the up and comer who would get my 1st look.

1 minute ago, BoNeyard said:

Frost's stuff was fun to watch and he too came from a G5 school. 

But I agree, both Stoops and Petersen are likely done, although between the two I could see Petersen trying it one more time. He seems like he would fit Nebraska perfectly. 

There are some comparisons to be made between Frost and Chadwell, but a key difference is that Chadwell has proven himself at multiple levels and for a good while out at Coastal. Frost maybe just caught lightning in a bottle for one crazy year, and we bought in. It's clear that the results Frost got in Orlando will never be repeated in Lincoln. 

Petersen is an interesting candidate. I don't know what he does or how he does it. Somehow, he seems to just turn things around wherever he goes. Could Husker fans get behind him as a coach? Hard to say.

1 minute ago, Leonard Sarasota said:

Stoops, Petersen, Meyer. Pie in the sky names most of us want but only a select few universities can pull. Tennessee swung for James Franklin but ended up with Heupel. Many fans were displeased at 1st but he beat expectations last year. Patterson would be my bigger name 1st call if I'm Nebraska. Harsin doesn't fit in the SEC but would do well in Big 10 country. Chadwell is the up and comer who would get my 1st look.

Don't know about Harsin, but what about Malzahn?

Gary Patterson would be interesting but I feel like he got burnt out at TCU and started to lose his step. How do you build a program like he did and suddenly have a 3-5 season and have the university agree to let you go?

Just now, Jeremy said:

There are some comparisons to be made between Frost and Chadwell, but a key difference is that Chadwell has proven himself at multiple levels and for a good while out at Coastal. Frost maybe just caught lightning in a bottle for one crazy year, and we bought in. It's clear that the results Frost got in Orlando will never be repeated in Lincoln. 

Petersen is an interesting candidate. I don't know what he does or how he does it. Somehow, he seems to just turn things around wherever he goes. Could Husker fans get behind him as a coach? Hard to say.

Oh absolutely I think they could. For one, he's sort of a small town type of guy, I don't think he liked the big city of Seattle and I don't think he regresses things at Nebraska. First year is a wash year, so maybe he goes 4-8, 5-7, but I think with him you'd see actual improvement and the team would start winning again. He's done it at Boise and Washington. Very impressive resume.

He doesn't like recruiting, or at least he doesn't like the ruthlessness that recruiting has begun, so keep Joseph on staff to be the head recruiter. All Petersen has to do is focus on football.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Leonard Sarasota said:

He's doing a tremendous job at Coastal Carolina. Does more with less and runs an unconventional offense. May be a perfect fit to what Nebraska needs right now.

He’s what we needed for OC.  Whipple is probably ok but obviously we can’t run the damned ball.  Not in this spread zone or whatever you want to call it.  Very difficult to watch.   Im Just so disappointed they couldn't find any sort of run game.  Got lots of pass plays but nothing serious in a run game.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

He’s what we needed for OC.  Whipple is probably ok but obviously we can’t run the damned ball.  Not in this spread zone or whatever you want to call it.  Very difficult to watch.   Im Just so disappointed they couldn't find any sort of run game.  Got lots of pass plays but nothing serious in a run game.  

I liked Frost's hire with Joseph and Whipple. Really didn't like his hire of Riola and Offensive Line continues to dissapoint.

7 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Don't know about Harsin, but what about Malzahn?

Gary Patterson would be interesting but I feel like he got burnt out at TCU and started to lose his step. How do you build a program like he did and suddenly have a 3-5 season and have the university agree to let you go?

Would not recommend Malzahn. Once the SEC figured out his high school offense he was nothing but mediocre. Patterson may in fact be burnt out. His career at TCU was weird in the fact that initially they were known for defense but then became an offensive heavy team. Another name to consider and would be a grand slam hire. Matt Rhule. Miracle worker at Temple and Baylor post the Briles fiasco. He's probably in his last season with the Carolina Panthers. 

• Plus1 2