Don't Stay Frosty

9 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Rhule is another interesting name.

Petersen

Stoops

Rhule

These are some solid names, but the question will be would any come to Nebraska? Also, this is week 0, handful of other programs are going to have their week 0 moments throughout the year and there will be many more openings by January. Rhule may have his pick of wherever he wants to go.

Rhule is most likely out of those 3. I don't believe Stoops or Petersen would even entertain the Nebraska job. Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Xmas32 said:

As someone that has followed UW got a lot of years.  I would be floored if Chris Petersen ever coaches again on the college level.  He wasn't a big fan of the way recruiting was going a few years ago.  I can only imagine how much he'd hate it now.

On no planet can I ever see Mark Stoops leaving Kentucky for Nebraska?  I mean...why would he?  He makes more money at UK with 5% of the expectations.  UK is maybe the best D1 job in the country when you factor everything in.

Because even when they are really good, the people and UK don't seem to care. Maybe he would want to go somewhere where they value college football. I mean, the basketball coach, who's the equivalent to the football coach here in terms of standings, just basically mocked Stoops program. The chip on his shoulder from that comment could either be to stay at Kentucky and try to make it a football school, or say screw it and head somewhere else that is a football school and win big.

1 minute ago, ladyhawke said:

Couldn’t our coaches do that? Develop those kind of plays?

On the offensive side, IMHO, this is the only year they have received coaching to try and "develop" them.  Held and Verduzco should have been let go after 2019.  No one on O was developed.  Defensively today, I have no idea what happened.  503 yards to NW.....Chin and Co, IMHO can develop.  BUT looking at it now, it took them 4 years to get what we saw last year.  Look at how many new faces on D today.  And it "might" take 4 years to develop.  

On average, bowl games get you an additional 12 practices.  We have not bowled in 5 years thus missing approx 60 practices.  That's huge.  Other teams we are playing now (looking at seniors) have received almost 2.5-3 more seasons of coaching than NU has.  That can't be understated.  Throw in that,  a below average staff and bone headed plays makes it  almost impossible to win.  And missing the bowl practices means that the younger kids get even less coaching as you are trying to get ready for the season.....

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, lo country said:

He is an example of a guy who can build a college program.  His schtick doesn't translate to the NFL.

Exactly. The job he did at Temple is closer to what is will be in Lincoln. Built from the ground up, quickly, and not by identifying scheme fits, either. They put tremendous players in the NFL. And he uses a fullback, so your uncle in Western Nebraska will be happy. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, gorp512 said:

Exactly. The job he did at Temple is closer to what is will be in Lincoln. Built from the ground up, quickly, and not by identifying scheme fits, either. They put tremendous players in the NFL. And he uses a fullback, so your uncle in Western Nebraska will be happy. 

A lot of uncles in Lincoln and Omaha would be happy to see a fullback, too.

• Plus1 2

Problem is who could they hire. A “good” coach would probably not come here. If Frost is canned, there no more risk hiring Joseph than anyone they could get. Might as well consider him. The coach  that a lot of fans wished he would be here just took his team to the Super Bowl and has Joe Burrow. I don’t see him coming where N would be a downgrade. 

7 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Problem is who could they hire. A “good” coach would probably not come here. If Frost is canned, there no more risk hiring Joseph than anyone they could get. Might as well consider him. The coach  that a lot of fans wished he would be here just took his team to the Super Bowl and has Joe Burrow. I don’t see him coming where N would be a downgrade. 

Hiring a guy with out even having been a coordinator would be a mistake.  Mickey Joseph should not get the job. Recruiting WR won't win us a damn thing,  we've been doing that for a while.  We need lineman, defense and ST.

Must be someone with HC experience.  P5 if possible but someone like Chadwell if not.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Because even when they are really good, the people and UK don't seem to care. Maybe he would want to go somewhere where they value college football. I mean, the basketball coach, who's the equivalent to the football coach here in terms of standings, just basically mocked Stoops program. The chip on his shoulder from that comment could either be to stay at Kentucky and try to make it a football school, or say screw it and head somewhere else that is a football school and win big.

That is certainly possible and I guess it just depends on what Stoops' ultimate goal is.  He's already won big at UK.  It's incredibly, incredibly difficult to win a national title and there are maybe 7 schools where it's possible and it seems like those guys are always freaking miserable.  Is that worth the extra couple million a year?  Stoops will make $6.5mm/yr next year which is a ton of cheese.  I'd argue UK definitely values college football, I have a friend that lives in Lexington and he said ticket prices have gone up a ton but am cognizant that UK will always be a basketball school.  He's in such a good spot with UK and its proximity to Ohio, Ohio State will certainly always get the cream of the crop but with their national recruiting profile leaves some really darn good kids in Ohio that UK can go after.

Year 5. Blew 2 double digit leads.  15-30 overall. Worse than any coach before him for 50+ years.

Forget "he's a nebraska guy". Forget "he's one of our own". Today's college football doesn't honor, nor reward loyalty. 

Sorry it didn't work out, Scott. At least you and your offspring will be set for life after this. 

• Plus1 4

So even though the BIG has kicked our a$$ it now will work to our favor.  Unless you have been living under a rock, college football is changing and the BIG is one of the elite mega conferences. So this will be a once in a lifetime chance to grab big names that you can entice back like Stoops and Petersen as well as a crumbling Big 12 and Pac 12 with names like Gundy, Aranda, and Shaw. Nebraska is in the middle now of the new BIG geography so recruiting is the biggest thing you need to establish. Must make inroads to CA and TX with many CA and TX schools being left out of the dance. Top recruits in neighboring states don’t view the Big 12 or Pac 12 as future elite conferences so we have to pick up recruiting heavily.  The only way we do that is with a big name hire, period. Time to be relevant again.

13 hours ago, lo country said:

On the offensive side, IMHO, this is the only year they have received coaching to try and "develop" them.  Held and Verduzco should have been let go after 2019.  No one on O was developed.  Defensively today, I have no idea what happened.  503 yards to NW.....Chin and Co, IMHO can develop.  BUT looking at it now, it took them 4 years to get what we saw last year.  Look at how many new faces on D today.  And it "might" take 4 years to develop.  

On average, bowl games get you an additional 12 practices.  We have not bowled in 5 years thus missing approx 60 practices.  That's huge.  Other teams we are playing now (looking at seniors) have received almost 2.5-3 more seasons of coaching than NU has.  That can't be understated.  Throw in that,  a below average staff and bone headed plays makes it  almost impossible to win.  And missing the bowl practices means that the younger kids get even less coaching as you are trying to get ready for the season.....

Thank you. It’s refreshing to get a sensible response instead of a flippant emoji. 

• Plus1 1