why is the defense so bad now?

The good news is if NW had one strength it was their O-line, probably one of the best we will face this year and a pretty darn good RB behind them. I still think Chins got out coached last week but think we’ll bounce back and be ok. He’ll definitely have to make some adjustments or Minnesota and Wisconsin will absolutely abuse us.

• Fire 1
15 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Frost has been shell shocked by our lines being pushed around in 18 that the philosophy has been to put too much mass on those guys so nobody pushes us around. 

I think this is a good take, that's what I've seen too. If the plan was actually working, our guys would at least be pushing offensive linemen off of their stance. Just seems like it mainly only happened last year.

Robinson was a defensive end in high school and got recruited by a lot of good schools. I was always pretty surprised he even committed with us to become more of a defensive tackle.

16 hours ago, Vince R. said:

If Nebraska is to survive somehow this season, the offense is going to have to commit to being like the rest of the BIG, and that is eating up chunks of clock every possession.

If you're expecting this to happen this season I feel really confident you're going to be disappointed. Seems obvious to me that Alberts helped pick Whipple, and Whipple throws the ball.

Now maybe they adopt a more dink & dunk approach with the passing game. But I suspect the goal is to go for the dagger passing game pretty much every drive.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Undone said:

I think this is a good take, that's what I've seen too. If the plan was actually working, our guys would at least be pushing offensive linemen off of their stance. Just seems like it mainly only happened last year.

Robinson was a defensive end in high school and got recruited by a lot of good schools. I was always pretty surprised he even committed with us to become more of a defensive tackle.

If you're expecting this to happen this season I feel really confident you're going to be disappointed. Seems obvious to me that Alberts helped pick Whipple, and Whipple throws the ball.

Now maybe they adopt a more dink & dunk approach with the passing game. But I suspect the goal is to go for the dagger passing game pretty much every drive.

I am all for the dagger, but just make it a slow death baby. 

Gum up the middle (stupid philosophy), which allows the linebackers to make a play (2 guys out of 11 - that is so stupid).  

Well Chins, what happens if those 2 inside linebackers don't make the play????  Hmmmmm????  For 80 snaps a game.  

I like Chins, but his defense stays on the field no matter who they play.  North Dakota will move the chains.  So will Minnesota and Illinois.... and Rutgers and Indiana.....  :hmmph

On 8/30/2022 at 3:48 PM, admo said:

Gum up the middle (stupid philosophy), which allows the linebackers to make a play (2 guys out of 11 - that is so stupid).  

Well Chins, what happens if those 2 inside linebackers don't make the play????  Hmmmmm????  For 80 snaps a game.  

I like Chins, but his defense stays on the field no matter who they play.  North Dakota will move the chains.  So will Minnesota and Illinois.... and Rutgers and Indiana.....  :hmmph

I really don’t understand why he doesn’t bring lots of pressure consistently with more press coverage and make teams make chunk plays.  

It’s quite annoying to have so few 3 and out drives on defense and it really puts the offense in a hole at times with terrible field position when another teams worst drives stall between the forties and a punt puts the offense starting field position inside the 10.  

Plus this stupid bend but don’t break philosophy allows an offense to get on a roll at times, offensive players play with more confidence the play caller to find his rhythm.  

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, our defensive back field need to give our front 7 more time to get there.

But that’s not gonna happen when the defense plays a consistent soft zone.   Does Chin not ever wonder why the completion percentage of opposing QB’s is so good against our defense.   Why backups tend to throw the ball well against the defense.   It’a pitch and catch a lot of the times just hoping for a miss throw to an open receiver.  

Press the dang receivers more, bring more than 5 and put pressure on the opposing offense to make a play in the face of pressure, vs sitting back and throwing to open zone presnap read.  

• Plus1 5

47 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

But that’s not gonna happen when the defense plays a consistent soft zone.   Does Chin not ever wonder why the completion percentage of opposing QB’s is so good against our defense.   Why backups tend to throw the ball well against the defense.   It’a pitch and catch a lot of the times just hoping for a miss throw to an open receiver.

I agree with this analysis. It's a full commitment to 'bend don't break' but I think one other unintended consequence is the defensive starters being gassed by the 4th quarter because they're on the field so much.

And the biggest head scratcher is how he can watch this happen on so much film and not adjust.

I'm starting to think that the only real reason we got pressure last year was because Daniels, Stille, & Thomas were doing most of the work on their own. I remember Nelson being decent at least at times getting to the QB - but he's definitely not a consistent answer as a pass rusher at all.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Undone said:

Nelson being decent at least at times getting to the QB - but he's definitely not a consistent answer as a pass rusher at all.

I'm not willing to claim Nelson is horrible yet.  He was going against an All American left tackle with a QB that was getting the ball out fast.  It will be interesting to see how he does throughout the season.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not willing to claim Nelson is horrible yet.

No, absolutely not "horrible." Nowhere close to horrible.

But it's like using Luke Gifford as a pass rusher when Frost first came in; it just didn't work. The body size can't push around a B1G offensive tackle no matter how much you make the guy do his squats, cleans, & bench and pour protein shakes down his throat.

And then the athleticism isn't there to spin/twist/go around a tackle.

But, he has great awareness and knows where to be to make plays and that's worth a ton.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

No, absolutely not "horrible." Nowhere close to horrible.

But it's like using Luke Gifford as a pass rusher when Frost first came in; it just didn't work. The body size can't push around a B1G offensive tackle no matter how much you make the guy do his squats, cleans, & bench and pour protein shakes down his throat.

And then the athleticism isn't there to spin/twist/go around a tackle.

But, he has great awareness and knows where to be to make plays and that's worth a ton.

Someone mentioned moving him inside and I wonder if he would be able to handle to pass coverage responsibilities.   I think he would be good at stuffing the run game though.  

• Plus1 1