the onside kick was stupid

1 minute ago, admo said:

HCSF does a good job owning up to it.  He actually has a good post game press here.  Also at 8:50 mark, Vokolek and Casey address the media as well.  Towards the end, Nelson joins in.

(Nelson sounds like he just had a pack of smokes and buried his dog. I would expect more from a "captain" - win or lose)

Funny, I think that is very captain like demeanor after this debacle 

10 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

On who? 

Busch's reaction to the kicker Franke.  Franke runs off with his head hung, Busch comes into frame with a look of WTH.  Franke runs past his right (viewer's left), says multiple things ending with "what are you doing?"

Scott managed to call his new offensive coordinator out "need to be more creative in this league" and shock his new ST coach with an onside kick in the same day.

1 minute ago, DefenderAO said:

Busch's reaction to the kicker Franke.  Franke runs off with his head hung, Bush comes into frame with a look of WTH.  Franke runs past his right (viewer's left), says multiple things ending with "what are you doing?"

Scott managed to call his new offensive coordinator out "need to be more creative in this league" and shock his new ST coach with an onside kick in the same day.

I’m dumb and been drunk twice today, so I’m not getting it  

so is the insinuation that Franke did this in his own or miscommunicated a play all or something?  

1 minute ago, DefenderAO said:

Kid cares about this team, and program, as much as any we've had in a long time.

I wish someone would lighten his emotional load while keeping his fire.

Got it 

Captain is a thankless job when you’re  on the titanic. 

• Haha 1
Just now, krc1995 said:

I’m dumb and been drunk twice today, so I’m not getting it  

so is the insinuation that Franke did this in his own or miscommunicated a play all or something?  

No, Scott told Franke to kick it onside, no one told Busch who finds out, after we fail, and starts barking at the kicker as he ran off the field.  

Not sure when Busch joined the "in the know" club.  It certainly wasn't going into that kick.

Just now, DefenderAO said:

No, Scott told Franke to kick it onside, no one told Busch who finds out, after we fail, and starts barking at the kicker as he ran off the field.  

Not sure when Busch joined the "in the know" club.  It certainly wasn't going into that kick.

I really am leaning towards a Frost/Vegas connection 

or in the world of special education classification- a slow learner

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

I really am leaning towards a Frost/Vegas connection 

or in the world of special education classification- a slow learner

Another notable point from the clip.  they showed the NW sideline on the kick recovery...it was absolutely invigorating for them.  Some weren't even watching the kick, turned and were pumped.  The QB the most excited.

Scott stepped over his new ST coach, called a kick, it failed, breathed new life into NW...then loses and calls out his new Offensive crew.  

It seems to be time.

• Plus1 2

Suspect the motivation was an ego thing, it's been obvious, since the forced staff turnover, that Scott has been relegated to 'lame duck' status, and the one thing he could interject was the onside kick! His press conference comment about lack of offensive creativity was a 'dart' thrown to reveal his frustration with his not being allowed into Whipples turf.

8 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Silver lining- maybe trev will invent a new rule. If HCSF ever has an impulse he must run it by his assistants first. 

Frost may well be the stupidest coach ever 

Ok this is what I don’t understand: Why is Scott still calling plays? Isn’t that what we hired Whipple for because I’m sure that guy was shaking his head at the absurdity of an onside kick! Let Coach Whipple do his job!

• Plus1 1

Had the kicker smashed the kick at them where it might bounce off their player and come back to us or miss their players and go 30 yards on the ground, it wouldn't have seemed nearly as ridiculous as the little roller that the guy just fell on at midfield.
That doesn't excuse the inability of our defense to stop anything....they're just not good.
We have to stop talking about the offense all the time and get down to the heart of the matter.

12 hours ago, admo said:

Grant makes an incredible run for a long TD. 

Our team celebrates, and we are up by 2 scores. Momentum is swung into our favor. 

28-17

All the pressure is now on Northwestern.

Who on earth thinks you need a trick play on a kickoff after that  - as the best decision for the team? 

Onside kick success rate is less than 20% at best, and usually closer to 10%.

Northwestern got the ball and regained momentum from it.  Scored from a short field rather easily.  28-24

You literally took the pressure off Northwestern with that decision.

The moment did not call for onside kick Attempt.  I'm sorry, but that was the Dumbest decision that I ever saw.  

Immediately I thought...."No wonder. Here we go again"

Maybe Fox thought they needed something to keep it close? That would make sense.