Who should our next HC be?

It won't be nearly as hard to get a big name coach as it was 5 years ago. We no longer have the "They fired a 9 win coach" or "their coach went bowling the prior year".

We gave a guy 4 losing seasons and we are willing to pay the big bucks. I'd see opportunity at Nebraska without the pressure at any other struggling blue blood. Trev has a history of reeling in big ones.

But no on Urban. Trev needs 5 years out of a coach to restock the cupboard. Urban is one of a few that has a golden ticket to anywhere anyways. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Decked said:

You guys are smoking crack if you think we will get Lane Kiffin. The reality is this is gonna be a hard job to get a good proven coach to. 

I agree totally. If Frost is fired, any coach Trev hires outside the program would be a gamble. Might as well hire Joseph, who wouldn’t be any more of a gamble. And seriously Zac Taylor would be out of reach. 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Chadwell, Calhoun, or Monken. Bring option football back to Lincoln. 

Option football as a base offense is dead. Also no recruit who is a half decent QB/WR would come here ever again. No need to go back to one extreme because it used to work. Tom just happened to run the option and have success with it not Tom ran the option so he had success. Tom won because he was a great coach, system aside 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Decked said:

Need a coach who understands in this league strong line play is not super flashy but gets you wins in the big ten. 

This is Bill O'Brien or Matt Rhule. 

But O'Brien has some Bo in him. 

For those who think Kiffin (or even Shaw) would take the Husker job, on what planet is Nebraska a better gig than Ole Miss? And Stanford will be attractive to the Big Ten or whatever super conference you pick. Also a step down would be coming to Lincoln. 

I will preface this with the sentiment of most (possibly all now) I want(ed) Frost to succeed.  Maybe he will.  I do not see that happening in year 5.  IIRC, Shiano was the only coach with 4 losing seasons that turned a program into the plus win column.  Maybe Cutcliffe at Duke? Just like going 5-21 in one scores games, the statistics point to this being almost impossible.  The onside kick was ridiculous.  As was his reasoning (too put the game away).  We were up by 11 with approx 20+ minutes to play.

Good names have been thrown out.  I'd add Kyle Whittingham, Andy Ludwig and Jeff Grimes to this list.

IF Frost is let go, it will not be until Oct when we save $7 million....

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

What about going for coach with no head coaching experience? It seems to work out MUCH better for us. Couldn't be much worse than our current coach who was a consensus home run, perfect fit and destined for great things hire.

Looking at our last 6 HC hires.

Every coach we've hired with previous HC experience has been an unmitigated disaster.

Every coach we've hired without HC experience has been successful.

Coaches with previous HC experience. 61-71 - 46.2%

• Callahan 27-22
  • Riley 19-19
  • Frost 15-30

Coaches without previous HC experience. 380-95-3 - 79.5%

• Osborne 255-49-3
  • Solich 58-19
  • Pelini 67-27

^^^^That post got laughed at by somebody, but I find it interesting.  Big caveat is that the successful coaches ("without previous HC experience") are of a different era, during (T.O.) our best times, and following on that inertia (Frank, Pelini).  In the ensuing years and coaching cycles we literally changed the culture here 180 degrees.  Now a new coach will not be coming in to ride the tide of Nebraska power and legitimacy, but will be coming into a decades long losing culture.  I guess I get a bit sad when I come around to understanding that, and to the realization that no new coaching staff will be able to retrieve what we once had.  Some of us are in the acceptance stage of the grief dynamic that begins with denial. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Hagg said:

^^^^That post got laughed at by somebody, but I find it interesting.  Big caveat is that the successful coaches ("without previous HC experience") are of a different era, during (T.O.) our best times, and following on that inertia (Frank, Pelini).  In the ensuing years and coaching cycles we literally changed the culture here 180 degrees.  Now a new coach will not be coming in to ride the tide of Nebraska power and legitimacy, but will be coming into a decades long losing culture.  I guess I get a bit sad when I come around to understanding that, and to the realization that no new coaching staff will be able to retrieve what we once had.  Some of us are in the acceptance stage of the grief dynamic that begins with denial. 

I read somewhere that Bama was 80-85 the years preceding Saban.  It can be done.  We just need to get that lightening in a bottle.  Winning brings winning.  And we haven't done that in years.  I hope in my lifetime I can see NU like a grew up with....Maybe I am just in denial.

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, lo country said:

I read somewhere that Bama was 80-85 the years preceding Saban.  It can be done.  We just need to get that lightening in a bottle.  Winning brings winning.  And we haven't done that in years.  I hope in my lifetime I can see NU like a grew up with....Maybe I am just in denial.

Alabama is right in the middle of where all the recruits live and want to be, not Lincoln Nebraska.  It was a miracle we got to where we were before with some serious strategic advantages that are now long gone.  It's over.  We can still be a winning program, but those days are NEVER coming back.  It's time to accept that.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Decked said:

Option football as a base offense is dead. Also no recruit who is a half decent QB/WR would come here ever again. No need to go back to one extreme because it used to work. Tom just happened to run the option and have success with it not Tom ran the option so he had success. Tom won because he was a great coach, system aside 

Army and Air Force win 9+ games every year with it. They don't really recruit. Navy has a couple 11 win seasons recently.

Why does everyone think any coach (outside of Urban Meyer) in Lincoln would get kids to come here instead of Columbus, Ann Arbor, or Madison? Ohio State beats us for recruits 9 times out of 10, and it shows on Saturdays. We will NEVER out-recruit, out-spread, out-pass, or be more athletic than them.

We need to be different and unique.  Hard to prepare for. Right now we don't look much different than most of the B1G. We wouldn't have to worry about wasting recruiting time going against the rest of the B1G for 4/5 star QBs and WR, and we could focus on building a legitimate defense that doesn't give up 550 yards to Northwestern. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
54 minutes ago, lo country said:

Yes, it happened.  But, not to harp too much on the different eras in football, but things were quite different back then in many different ways.  I'd love to see a staff come in here and uncork a Devaney or Dr. Tom winning percentage over many seasons, but the task was hard enough back then and is a whole different ball game these days of transfers/lack of school patriotism/loyalties to fame and money rather than long term team spirit as a driving force etc.  'Bama is literally riding a tide of all the good things right now.  Nebraska is washed out to sea.

The good news is that Nebraska spend whatever it wants on a quality coach. 

Furthermore, nearly anybody - and this is not hyperbole - will be an improvement over Scott Frost. It literally can't get worse than what he's done to this program. 3-9 last year,  15-30 overall with what awaits Nebraska this November? It's bad. 

Perhaps Nebraska can entertain a guy like Aranda who's inherited a difficult situation in a program, much worse than Nebraska, and turned things around for Baylor. If Nebraska wants to gamble and pay a coach less, Chadwell is an option as well. Coaches like Campbell, Rhule, or nearly anybody would be fine as well. All would be improvements. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The good news is that Nebraska spend whatever it wants on a quality coach. 

Furthermore, nearly anybody - and this is not hyperbole - will be an improvement over Scott Frost. It literally can't get worse than what he's done to this program. 3-9 last year,  15-30 overall with what awaits Nebraska this November? It's bad. 

Perhaps Nebraska can entertain a guy like Aranda who's inherited a difficult situation in a program, much worse than Nebraska, and turned things around for Baylor. If Nebraska wants to gamble and pay a coach less, Chadwell is an option as well. Coaches like Campbell, Rhule, or nearly anybody would be fine as well. All would be improvements. 

Aranda is bound for the SEC. He has Auburn written all over him