Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Come on now im upset with how they played but there is still a season to play. Let the season play out before we start naming coaches to replace him. Yes I can understand everybody's frustrations with the onside kick and the defense but this is the very crap that the kids have to come back and listen too. 

You're right, but I'm just starting the same campaign I've had since Callahan was axed.

40 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Maybe I'm out of my mind, but I can't imagine Joseph or Whipple coming here for a one and done season.  I would venture to guess both of those coaches will remain if/when Frost is shown the door.

So you hire a new HC and force him to retain some of the leftovers from the prior failed staff? At this level I would hope any coach worth his salt is going to tell you to take a hike at that point and take a job where he is in control, not the AD. Sure, he would have the option to retain whomever he would see fit but you can't force assistants on him. I can't see Trev even considering this.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

For me ... this type of statement comes off as "apologist".  It's like Frost stating yesterday that "the offense needed to get a bit more creative".  He makes it out like that was the problem ... when he bloviated all off-season about all his improvements.  None was more clear than in his OL and DL.  Those guys are working so hard they are throwing up in practices.  Then, in a game they get manhandled by another bottom dweller team and have no push on D.

At present, Knebraska is on it's was to a winless season.  Ya, we know it won't happen because it's a puff schedule.

I think it's worse because Frost has set himself up to state that there has been so much improvement ... but the game film and score shows the facts.  I don't know why anyone wants to justify it ... but they do.  What gives?

My statement was in response to “It can’t get any worse”.  That’s simply not accurate.

My stance is he’s not the guy and his days are numbered.  The onside kick allowed all of us a view behind the curtain in year 5.  It’s not good.

Just now, Dogs In A Pile said:

So you hire a new HC and force him to retain some of the leftovers from the prior failed staff? At this level I would hope any coach worth his salt is going to tell you to take a hike at that point and take a job where he is in control, not the AD. Sure, he would have the option to retain whomever he would see fit but you can't force assistants on him. I can't see Trev even considering this.

This isn't what I was saying at all.  I think Joseph will be the next HC with Whipple OC/associate HC.  I don't believe either one of them come to Nebraska knowing they will be out of a job with one bad season.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Come on now im upset with how they played but there is still a season to play. Let the season play out before we start naming coaches to replace him. Yes I can understand everybody's frustrations with the onside kick and the defense but this is the very crap that the kids have to come back and listen too. 

So everyone should ignore the last five years of the same crap?????  This isn't a one game sample size of frustration for some of us.  

And the kids are young men and know this is a business.  Hell maybe some will pick up their level of play because they heard their coach needs fired.  Not likely since it hasn't happened the last couple of years.  

Weak take

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, junior4949 said:

This isn't what I was saying at all.  I think Joseph will be the next HC with Whipple OC/associate HC.  I don't believe either one of them come to Nebraska knowing they will be out of a job with one bad season.  

Whip didn't like Narduzzi, Nebraska offered more money, Micky was let go at LSU and is being paid well to be here. Both signed 2 year contracts. They getting paid either way next year. Neither will be a head coach here.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

Pat Fitzgerald. Or someone very much like him. Smart and a class act. I loved the idea of Chris Petersen. Not sure he'll ever return to coaching though. Someone who knows how to compete in the conference and win. And can assemble a stout offensive line. 

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

Whip didn't like Narduzzi, Nebraska offered more money, Micky was let go at LSU and is being paid well to be here. Both signed 2 year contracts. They getting paid either way next year. Neither will be a head coach here.

Like I said, maybe I'm out of my mind.  I would venture to guess both Joseph and Whipple could have gotten jobs where the CEO was much more stable in their job than coming to Nebraska.  Between Joseph being considered one of the better recruiters out there and Whipple coming off of a tremendous offensive season, they both had other opportunities.

• Haha 1

In my opinion, there are two options: 1) be willing to shell out top dollar (similar to what guys like Saban, Chip Kelly, Dabo, Day make) for a top coach; or 2) hire a guy like Chadwell or Calhoun who runs an option-style offense, making the Nebraska brand unique again. 

There is no 3rd option where you just hire some middle-of-the-road guy for a cheap price and hope it works out. 

Does Tom Herman deserve another shot at a big-time gig? He may be looking to redeem himself.

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I love MJ but I'm not sure he's head coaching material. However, whomever is hired needs to everything he possibly can to retain him.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

If Frost is fired, he needs to go to the Nick Saban school of coaches who don't coach good. That would help him tremendously. Even if he were hired as a WR coach or co-OC. 

1 Big name guy- Kiffin is someone I would love to have and he was born here. (Aranda, Fickell, Campbell would be great too)

2 Former HC now OC- Bill O'brien- after the Saban schooling could get us back to winning. He also sees what a championship looking team looks like. 

3 The Solid hire- Lance Leipold- has won everywhere he went and would get us back to consistency. If he can get Kansas to 7-8 wins this year I would believe he can get us to those seasons and more. 

4 The in house hire- Mickey Joseph/ Whipple - keep almost all the staff intact, hire a few new coaches and see what we can do. After the onside kick, maybe Frost is holding this team back. 

What has Kiffin ever done professionally beyond making comments to draw attention to himself?  He completely got out coached and whipped by Baylor in the Sugar Bowl in every category with weeks to prepare.  Seems we already have someone that doesn't fully prepare yet brings attention to our school on all forms of social media platforms with 1 exception, Kiffin CAN recruit and doesn't worry about the athletes character.  Aranda is beginning his new contract this season and by all accounts his quiet personality (the anti-Kiffen personality) works well with for the most part under the radar Baylor.   

11 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

If Frost is fired, he needs to go to the Nick Saban school of coaches who don't coach good. That would help him tremendously. Even if he were hired as a WR coach or co-OC. 

1 Big name guy- Kiffin is someone I would love to have and he was born here. (Aranda, Fickell, Campbell would be great too)

2 Former HC now OC- Bill O'brien- after the Saban schooling could get us back to winning. He also sees what a championship looking team looks like. 

3 The Solid hire- Lance Leipold- has won everywhere he went and would get us back to consistency. If he can get Kansas to 7-8 wins this year I would believe he can get us to those seasons and more. 

4 The in house hire- Mickey Joseph/ Whipple - keep almost all the staff intact, hire a few new coaches and see what we can do. After the onside kick, maybe Frost is holding this team back. 

What has Kiffin ever done professionally beyond making comments to draw attention to himself?  He completely got out coached and whipped by Baylor in the Sugar Bowl in every category with weeks to prepare.  Seems we already have someone that doesn't fully prepare yet brings attention to our school on all forms of social media platforms with 1 exception, Kiffin CAN recruit and doesn't worry about the athletes character.  Aranda is beginning his new contract this season and by all accounts his quiet personality (the anti-Kiffen personality) works well with for the most part under the radar Baylor.   

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I love MJ but I'm not sure he's head coaching material. However, whomever is hired needs to everything he possibly can to retain him.

I'm really not arguing for or against MJ being the next HC.  I just find it odd both him and Whipple come here under our current circumstances without some type of arrangements or promises.  

• Haha 1