Who should our next HC be?

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I'd be tremendously surprised if he went to Auburn.  Not sure if you've read this yet but it sounds like he hated his time at LSU.  Auburn is essentially a worse version of LSU with crazier boosters plus you're in the same state as Alabama.  You take the Auburn job to get fired and get a huge buyout.  That's literally it.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34426714/why-baylor-dave-aranda-unlike-college-football-coach-know

This is great, thank you.  

Sounds like he would hate Lincoln. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Nebraska football doesn't exist after the Frost era. This was it. (And in hindsight, it isn't existed outside of pain for ten years.)

Whoever we hire, it doesn't matter. We have a clear and undeniably low ceiling.

Respectfully disagree. The right staff with the right system could at least make us respectable, compete for the West 2 out of 3 years. Every now and then make a run at the B1G and playoff. We just need the right people calling the shots. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Lane Kiffin?

Forget the Nebraska connection --- he's pissed off people at every stop, thrown folks under the bus, and bailed as soon as things got inconvenient. 

But he still gets a lot of interest for a guy who has burned that many bridges.

On the other side: does Scott Frost get a HC offer anywhere else?  I just don't see it. His best shot is a Bill Callahan move as a position coach or possibly coordinator under a strong HC willing to let him rehabilitate himself at a low risk to the team. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Lane Kiffin?

Forget the Nebraska connection --- he's pissed off people at every stop, thrown folks under the bus, and bailed as soon as things got inconvenient. 

But he still gets a lot of interest for a guy who has burned that many bridges.

On the other side: does Scott Frost get a HC offer anywhere else?  I just don't see it. His best shot is a Bill Callahan move as a position coach or possibly coordinator under a strong HC willing to let him rehabilitate himself at a low risk to the team. 

Agreed. I'm a solid no on both Kiffin and O'Brien. I do wonder, though, if ole Urban has enough in the tank to make one last run, maybe redeem his NFL stint?

21 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Agreed. I'm a solid no on both Kiffin and O'Brien. I do wonder, though, if ole Urban has enough in the tank to make one last run, maybe redeem his NFL stint?

Urb can still lean on his college brand despite a failed NFL stint.  Curious what he'd think about the risk in that brand coming to Nebraska and not succeeding.

I still think he's a hell of a coach and would be a marked...huge improvement to what we have today.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, MdStine said:

What has Kiffin ever done professionally beyond making comments to draw attention to himself?  He completely got out coached and whipped by Baylor in the Sugar Bowl in every category with weeks to prepare.  Seems we already have someone that doesn't fully prepare yet brings attention to our school on all forms of social media platforms with 1 exception, Kiffin CAN recruit and doesn't worry about the athletes character.  Aranda is beginning his new contract this season and by all accounts his quiet personality (the anti-Kiffen personality) works well with for the most part under the radar Baylor.   

What has Kiffin ever done professionally beyond making comments to draw attention to himself?  He completely got out coached and whipped by Baylor in the Sugar Bowl in every category with weeks to prepare.  Seems we already have someone that doesn't fully prepare yet brings attention to our school on all forms of social media platforms with 1 exception, Kiffin CAN recruit and doesn't worry about the athletes character.  Aranda is beginning his new contract this season and by all accounts his quiet personality (the anti-Kiffen personality) works well with for the most part under the radar Baylor.   

The thing about Kiffin is that he'd bolt for the first better offer he got. 

10 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Url can still lean on his college brand despite a failed NFL stint.  Curious what he'd think about the risk in that brand coming to Nebraska and not succeeding.

I still think he's a hell of a coach and would be a marked...huge improvement to what we have today.

It's a long shot at best, but it's slightly more feasible because Urban actually does have something to prove and a reputation that has taken significant dings. Rebuilding a floundering school is a lower risk/higher reward than any Top 30 opening that pops up. He'll never coach in the NFL again. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's a long shot at best, but it's slightly more feasible because Urban actually does have something to prove and a reputation that has taken significant dings. Rebuilding a floundering school is a lower risk/higher reward than any Top 30 opening that pops up. He'll never coach in the NFL again. 

Good point.  Callahan, Bo, Cream Puff, and Golden Child couldn't do it, maybe not as much risk to also stumble but high redemption/praise if you bring Nebraska back to prominence.

Could he work for Trev?

One thing that stands out on all the post game shows and commentary that reinforces what we know - Nebraska fans are the best in the country; loyal, travel well etc.  Urban would have no shortage of support.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I think MJ will get an audition some point in this season.  So he'll technically be the next head coach.  Not sure if it'll be permanent.   That depends on how the audition goes.

I live in South Louisiana and I'm very familiar with him. He's recruited some of our athletes and he's highly-regarded down here. That said, there's a reason why he's never been offered a HC gig. Solid position coach, great recruiter.

In the end it all comes down to how much $ the suits are willing to spend.

Honestly, at this point, any other coach would do better than Frost. I do not know what happened to him but at some point I feel like he lost his confidence and never got it back. Both Nebraska and Scott need a fresh start. What we are doing now is pushing a square peg in a round hole and thinking if we force it, it will eventually fit. This first game is a preview of what to expect. If we cannot beat northwestern being up 28-17, we do not have a chance against big ten powerhouses. 

• Plus1 2