Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I wouldn't be opposed to going that route since I really question if we will ever be able to hire a top D1-A coach now that we have pretty much turned into a bottom feeder. Lots of more attractive destinations with huge recruiting advantages for a top coach that wants to move.

You're always gonna be able to find a highly regarded coach that is willing to take your money.  You just gotta be willing to spend it

• Plus1 2

A big name coach is the only way to get a quick turnaround at this point.  I’m not sure you can get one but it would be wise to try.  It can all be explored quietly / discrete.   Trev and or somebody else in the inner circle above him can explore it.  A few phone calls. A meet and chat.  Now that the TV $ and apparently NU’s back pay from the Big Ten with the USC / UCLA additions, that idk probably most of the upfront buy out and signing money hopefully.  With luck some staff can be retained.  There are good coaches. Just need a HC that will help the entire team.  

17 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

You're always gonna be able to find a highly regarded coach that is willing to take your money.  You just gotta be willing to spend it

NU has turned into a revolving door.  only a lesser, unaccomplished young coach would take a chance with us.  Trev will have to roll the dice before year's end.

Not buying all the doom and gloomers on not being able to find a potential next coach. Someone will take good money. We are in one of the two premier conferences in college football. Our conference is getting stronger and will demand better coaches.  Other conferences are deteriorating.  If we can’t get that big hire I think we will easily be able to scoop up a regional guy like Campbell or whoever the next hot Billy Napier guy is on the market. Frost was a dream scenario at the time. Just didn’t work out. We have shown way more patience then other programs have with their coaches and the next coach has a very low bar to clear. I am curious if we are going to use this time to really go all in on this new world of college football or play a safer route.   A big hire automatically gets you a big splash and relevancy.  Our job will be the first on the market and I don’t see other high profile jobs opening this year as compared to last year’s craziness.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Lane Kiffin?

Forget the Nebraska connection --- he's pissed off people at every stop, thrown folks under the bus, and bailed as soon as things got inconvenient. 

But he still gets a lot of interest for a guy who has burned that many bridges.

On the other side: does Scott Frost get a HC offer anywhere else?  I just don't see it. His best shot is a Bill Callahan move as a position coach or possibly coordinator under a strong HC willing to let him rehabilitate himself at a low risk to the team. 

Nebraska was his cash cow opportunity. I hope he spends / saves his $7m well

2 hours ago, hunter49 said:

NU has turned into a revolving door.  only a lesser, unaccomplished young coach would take a chance with us.  Trev will have to roll the dice before year's end.

This is a false belief. Plenty are shocked that we've retained Frost for this long. We've been more than patient. The good thing for an incoming coach is that we're currently at an all-time low -- the only way to go is up. 

Gotta be willing to shell out the big $ for a premier coach. This is the way.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

In my opinion, there are two options: 1) be willing to shell out top dollar (similar to what guys like Saban, Chip Kelly, Dabo, Day make) for a top coach; or 2) hire a guy like Chadwell or Calhoun who runs an option-style offense, making the Nebraska brand unique again. 

There is no 3rd option where you just hire some middle-of-the-road guy for a cheap price and hope it works out. 

Does Tom Herman deserve another shot at a big-time gig? He may be looking to redeem himself.

Herman is interesting. Even if you want to discount his Ohio St OC years because of an embarrassment of riches athletically, he did a nice job at Almost every other stop in his career. While the Texas situation may not have quite worked out, he did win 4 bowl games in 4 years including a Sugar Bowl over Georgia. I think he could be a guy to get the program going in the right direction again. Downside is I think if he was successful he would probably bolt when something better came along. Still worth it IMO

1 hour ago, olddominionhusker said:

Herman is interesting. Even if you want to discount his Ohio St OC years because of an embarrassment of riches athletically, he did a nice job at Almost every other stop in his career. While the Texas situation may not have quite worked out, he did win 4 bowl games in 4 years including a Sugar Bowl over Georgia. I think he could be a guy to get the program going in the right direction again. Downside is I think if he was successful he would probably bolt when something better came along. Still worth it IMO

I wouldn't touch Herman.  Zero class.  We can do better.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Unless Scott has gambled away his earnings from Nebraska he should be ok going forward. Maybe a year or two off to go fishing and hunting would be just what the doctor ordered.

Seeing him for 4+ years, I wonder how much time he'd look inwardly vs. how much he would blame others or "bad luck"

• Plus1 1

You have to start big with proven winners. Throw the bank at Stoops, Petersen, and (do a little soul searching first) maybe Urban Myer. 

If none of them bite, throw the bank at Aranda, Kiffen, Matt Campbell, or Kyle Whittingham. 

At this point if no one bites, you decide which direction you want to go? Maybe someone like Leipold from Kansas? Maybe the guy at KSU if they have a great year? Maybe roll the dice and go for the guy from CCU and his modern option? 

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

You have to start big with proven winners. Throw the bank at Stoops, Petersen, and (do a little soul searching first) maybe Urban Myer. 

If none of them bite, throw the bank at Aranda, Kiffen, Matt Campbell, or Kyle Whittingham. 

At this point if no one bites, you decide which direction you want to go? Maybe someone like Leipold from Kansas? Maybe the guy at KSU if they have a great year? Maybe roll the dice and go for the guy from CCU and his modern option? 

I fully agree, and proven P5 winners preferably.  I am not really that excited about Meyer as there is a lot of baggage with him and Stoops would really need to be a short-term plan to lay the groundwork for a longer-term option.  I do like Peterson a lot.  I also think Kiffin and Campbell have proven enough at the P5 level to be worthy of a top notch offer.  

26 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Nebraska fans are odd. People had problems with Pelini's character and then bring up names like Freeze, meyer and herman. 

I fully agree with this statement, especially regarding Freeze and Meyer.  There are plenty of other good options out there that would be a MAJOR step up from the clown show being run now.