Who should our next HC be?

Throw $15 million per year through 2030 to Saban.  If he really wants to prove he’s the greatest coach ever, turn NU around.  

A lot of folks never ever saw Venables leaving.  Or Kelly to LSU, Riley to USC.  Several years ago Peterson was never leaving Boise....Urban was done with football several times.  Big paychecks (and sometimes bigger egos) can make a man do crazy things....

• Haha 2

Forget Urban Meyer.  That clown doesn't do the hard work to recruit.  He does seem lucky in finding great assistants who do carry that torch and do recruit- Ohio St and Florida.  Utah hasn't missed a beat really without him.  He is a good coach, but has had extremely talented players at every stop.  Face it, all the current, winning coaches, have huge buyout clauses.  They can get fired, and sit out , work at ESPN, FOX or CBS for a few years while getting $$$$$$ from buyouts and wait for the right gig to open up.  We are not that gig right now.  NIL and the portal have also mucked up the process that even proven winners are not sure how much longer to stay in the race.  Saban will retire soon.  Lincoln Riley is eventually going NFL.  Chip Kelly- has alot of money already.  I am sure that someone who does have that mega EGO is out there, but who that person is right now is unidentifiable.  I think each and every year that this conversation happens that we could get who ever to coach this roster and this once so tradition rich program to winning at least 7-8 wins a season.  With the money in college football, those who are proven are staying away from area.  Why?  Simple-  Its a tough sell.  We don't have an identity.  So each time I see these coaching names appear on these threads I laugh.  First off, as I stated, the buyout clause and contracts are so huge that these coaches don't need our money.  This job is tough and recruiting is tougher since NIL and portal.  Would you rather work at ESPN, collect your contract money and wait for that next great opening to happen or come to Nebraska, lose money, and be miserable losing recruits and games?

• Fire 1

Just to play along with the thread- I would consider Chris Kleinman at K-State.  Good football coach.  Good interviewer.  Class act each and every time whether winning or losing.  He has done a decent job of recruiting and developing players at KSU.  With the Big 12 in no mans land, he is the one guy I would take a hard leap at, and promise you that we don't lose one score games on coaching issues and ETC.  They are a hard nosed football team, who line up and beat you up front.  This guy also beat OU two straight years and should have last year if not for a kickoff return.  When was the last time we had a coach beat OU two straight years?

• Plus1 2

I’m in the camp that we won’t be able to land a home run big named guy for HC. If I’m Trev, I would take a long look at Matt Entz at NDSU. He runs a power scheme and downhill running offense. Nebraska must return to its roots. Get back to being the pipeline as well. We should not have a worse OL than NW, Iowa, Wisconsin. Below is a nice link with clips of his scheme. Watching these clips would probably make most Nebraska fans drool. 

https://www.cover1.net/north-dakota-states-power-variations/

6 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I am sure that someone who does have that mega EGO is out there, but who that person is right now is unidentifiable.

Gotta think it's a guy who's currently sitting at home -- someone like Petersen or Herman or Meyer -- a big name who's not coaching at the moment, yet still has the itch to coach. A coach who currently has another gig is going to say wait till after the season. 

I just don't agree with hiring a lesser-name coach (such as the one at NDSU) at all. A guy with no name recognition won't be able to recruit top talent to Lincoln. A guy with name value will.

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I just don't agree with hiring a lesser-name coach (such as the one at NDSU) at all. A guy with no name recognition won't be able to recruit top talent to Lincoln. A guy with name value will.

I also don't think a lower league coach will have a great eye out of the gate what caliber of athlete it is going to take to compete regularly. I worry about 1-2 years of recruiting pie in the sky projects. We have the NIL and the player talent base to make a pretty quick turn around with a competent HC. I'm hoping we can avoid another coach cutting teeth at this level.

In a couple years, the B1G and SEC are going to have gobs more money that any P12, B12, or ACC school.  More money equals more money for coaches (head, assistant, and support staff), more money for recruiting (including possibly revenue sharing with players), and more money for all other crap that goes with a football program.

In turn, any B1G or SEC job is going to be better than all but the top tier P12, B12, or ACC school (is that just Clemson and Oregon at this point?).

• Fire 1

I wonder if there will be any leaks...Trev seems pretty tight lipped and I don't know if he will use a search firm or not.

I DO think that all non P5 coaches and Big 12, ACC and Pac 12 coaches are going to be looked at, just because of the cash and stability.  

I can't think of any NFL guys that would be interested but who knows.

Guys currently not coaching, that is always interesting and clearly Meyer is the one name that is out there.

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I wonder if there will be any leaks...Trev seems pretty tight lipped and I don't know if he will use a search firm or not.

I DO think that all non P5 coaches and Big 12, ACC and Pac 12 coaches are going to be looked at, just because of the cash and stability.  

I can't think of any NFL guys that would be interested but who knows.

Guys currently not coaching, that is always interesting and clearly Meyer is the one name that is out there.

The only NFL guy I can think of that may be interested is Matt Rhule, just because he was so good at Temple and Baylor, only to be a flop with the Panthers.

• Plus1 1

I just don't see Urban Meyer coming to Nebraska.  Of all the college jobs that I'm sure he's been offered already I don't see Nebraska being the program to get him to finally cave in.

Also the things that have been reported about him the last year or so were definitely unflattering.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The only NFL guy I can think of that may be interested is Matt Rhule, just because he was so good at Temple and Baylor, only to be a flop with the Panthers.

Ahhhh yes.  That is the one!  Dude hates the NFL!

3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I just don't see Urban Meyer coming to Nebraska.  Of all the college jobs that I'm sure he's been offered already I don't see Nebraska being the program to get him to finally cave in.

Also the things that have been reported about him the last year or so were definitely unflattering.

Yeah, I don't see it either.

First two would only be interested because the B12 is under major uncertainty right now. 

1. Matt Campbell - I think his style would fit the team well. underdog mentality. runs the ball well. good culture
  2. Dave Aranda - defense first coach that also has track record in the B10 
  3. Chris Petersen - would for sure get us back to at least respectable. I wanted him in 2014 and he has proven to take Boise St to new heights and won 10+ games at Washington 3x in 6 years. 
  • Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
On 8/28/2022 at 12:11 AM, Decked said:

You guys are smoking crack if you think we will get Lane Kiffin. The reality is this is gonna be a hard job to get a good proven coach to. 

Respectfully I've always founds this position silly. Coaches are competitive. They want to succeed where others haven't. I'm not saying we're a golden ticket job that everyone is dying to get, but you can't tell me the idea of being the guy that brings Nebraska back to respectability and even national contention doesn't appeal to a lot of coaches. Yes, they are concerned about stability and not all of them will be interested in this job. But there's always going to be guys willing to give it a shot.

As for who, I'm not sure, but I don't want Urban Meyer. It wouldn't be worth it.